Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Olympian safe in Car vs. Peleton

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 09:52 AM
islandboy
touring roadie

Bikes: road & mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another who is to blame/responsible.
Luckily the majority of injuries were minor.

Do the manufacturers of your bicycle get behind improvements to existing bicycle traffic laws?

Last edited by islandboy; 03-12-09 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 10:10 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
https://www.timescolonist.com/news/Ol...687/story.html

Link did not work. I had to delete some gibberish from the URL, then it worked.
Old 03-12-09, 07:23 AM
islandboy
touring roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No charges are being laid.
Old 03-12-09, 08:26 AM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden with both groups apprently involved ... OBB and Burnside. Past tense - They're horribly unsafe. A typical formation is a rotating paceline, two columns of riders with the front pair breaking off down respective sides to re-join the back of the pack after a given pull / interval. Just so we're clear, that's four riders abreast, not two - at least, I didn't count mid-pack twitchers. Average speed is about 35 kph ... I have data ... less somewhere undulating like Landsend. That's an obstruction to traffic, and should expect to be passed. Despite over-active imaginations this is not a pro-peleton on a closed course. Some elite riders, yes but for the most part it's a Saturday club ride on shared roads. Do you deserve to be knocked over by a motor vehicle? No of course not, but hopefully this is a sobering enough experience to dillute the group ego's a bit.
I think this guy sums it up fairly well.

A peleton is going to take up the better part of a lane. This means that traffic coming up behind is going to have to have to cross the line to pass. Doing so in such an area puts everyone at risk. Asking traffic to wait for a designated passing area is BS.

We've kicked this dead horse for ever in the A&S forum and I guess will continue to.

Am I claiming that peletons on open public roads need to be forbidden?

No.

But, there needs to be common sense applied. Peleton riders need to realize that if they are incapable of maintaining the posted limit, they are impedeing traffic flow. Riders in such a group should keep an eye in the mirror and break into a single file when being overtaken by cages. Had this group followed that advice, it is very likely that the truck would have been straddling the yellow line or maybe slightly over, rather than completely over it. In such a case the car entering traffic very likely would have avoided colliding with him.

Does this mean that peleton sizes should be kept to a managable level, say 10-12? Yeah, I think it does. You wanna ride in a larger group than that, sign up for a race on a closed road or atleast one that has been marked with warning signs to other vehicles that they are going to have to beware of large lycra clad mobs which may slow them up a bit.

Should there have been charges filed?

Tough to say.

Put yourself in the drivers' position. If you are the truck driver, do you wait for god knows how long to pass? I don't know, without being familiar with this road. If you are the other car's driver, do you get charged with making a right turn onto a road without looking right first? Also tough to call. When I pull up to turn right, I certainly have to look left, as that is where traffic with the right of way is coming from. It's a real good idea to look the other way as well, but, you aren't expecting anything to be in your lane there, so it is understandable that this happened.

Here is the bottom line. No matter what you might think, we as cyclists, are vehicles, with vehicular rights, however, in most instances we haven't a prayer of maintaining the posted limit. This is a fact we should be aware of. It is not right to expect the rest of the vehicle population, which just so happen to greatly outnumber us put along at half the speed limit for an indeterminate period of time so we can practice our peleton skills.

Not saying that taking the lane is never a good idea. There are times where the complete lack of a shoulder coupled with limited sight lines ahead, mean that taking the lane as a way of saying, "hang on a bit buddy, before you pass" is a good idea.
Old 03-12-09, 10:02 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems to me that it is against the law (or should be) to hit someone with your car. Should the bikers get a ticket for impeding traffic? Yes, if that also applies to cars, tractors, etc. Just because someone is doing something you don't like or it slows you down, you don't have the right to hit them even if you are right.
Old 03-12-09, 10:14 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strangely the UK highway code states that we are allowed to ride two abreast. And of course it is much safer, you don't want to overtake a line of riders 20 long or more, do you? Especially as they don't have a "long vehicle" badge to warn the drivers of this. Single filing a large group invites trouble, if the pack uses the road, motorists are forced to overtake as they would any other vehicle, ie using the established safe method. In this instance, it seems that an accident would have occurred much the same had it been a artic lorry instead of a bunch of riders- some motorists do not overtake safely.
Old 03-12-09, 12:30 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trekker pete
A peleton is going to take up the better part of a lane. This means that traffic coming up behind is going to have to have to cross the line to pass. Doing so in such an area puts everyone at risk. Asking traffic to wait for a designated passing area is BS.
Sounds good, except if there's no shoulder and the lane isn't extra wide, a single rider is going to take up the better part of a lane. This means that traffic coming up behind is going to have to have to cross the line to pass. Doing so in such an area puts everyone at risk. Asking traffic to wait for a designated passing area is what needs to happen, because anything else is dangerous. (The single cyclist can occasionally pull off the road if possible to let people pass, but that's his call, not somebody else's.)

Ultimately, on a two lane road, It doesn't matter if you're passing one rider, two riders or a peleton -- unless the cyclists are riding on the far right of the lane, and the lane is wide, the passer is going to have to cross over the middle lane of the road. It doesn't matter if he passes a little or a lot -- in both cases his exposure to oncoming traffic is the same and so the same amount of care is needed.
Old 03-12-09, 01:04 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how does a car handle a situation where a slow moving vehicle is in the traffic lane? Suppose it is a street sweeper, a snow plow, or a construction vehicle?

What are the laws that govern passing these vehicles, and what is different about this than a pack of cyclists?

please.
Old 03-12-09, 02:47 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peleton riders need to realize that if they are incapable of maintaining the posted limit, they are impedeing traffic flow.
I often see this type of comment. I was under the impression that the posted limit was a MAXIMUM speed limit, not a minimum. This fact is so often overlooked that it doesn't even occur to most law enforcement officials that somebody driving at 30mph in a 25mph speed zone is violating the law. Why do we have laws that are so blatantly ignored? By not enforcing the maximum speed limits, we cause motorists to believe that it is their right to travel at a speed no less than that posted.
Old 03-12-09, 04:29 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Peleton riders need to realize that if they are incapable of maintaining the posted limit, they are impedeing traffic flow.
If you take the time to read and understand the traffic laws, you'll see that to be "impeding the flow of traffic" implies that the driver is intentionally going slower than they otherwise could for no legitimate reason. Cyclists, operating human powered vehicles, do not have engines that can run up to their peak output for indefinite periods of time. As such, a cyclist cannot be expected to be able to maintain any speed other than simply moving. For that reason, many vehicle code's impeding traffic laws only apply to motor vehicles.

Slow moving vehicles are required to turn out where possible to allow backed up traffic to pass but only when going less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place. If you have a peleton of 50 cyclists and a few motorists, the normal speed of traffic at that time and place is the speed of the cyclists.
Old 03-12-09, 04:29 PM
Bikeforumuser0022

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, this story is a classic example of a driver who passed in unsafe conditions.

As for the British California MVA -- cyclists MUST ride single file? Stupid. It's beautiful there, but man, I'm glad I live where there aren't foolish laws that force unsafe group cycling.
Old 03-12-09, 04:39 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Just saying.
Old 03-13-09, 06:59 AM
islandboy
touring roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A well read local writer summed it up very well.
Old 03-13-09, 10:28 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavy
To me, this story is a classic example of a driver who passed in unsafe conditions.

As for the British California MVA -- cyclists MUST ride single file? Stupid. It's beautiful there, but man, I'm glad I live where there aren't foolish laws that force unsafe group cycling.
Yeah. I get 'cha. The two or more abreast law isn't good, but it's rarely enforced. Clubs ride this way anywhere they can.

As for the unsafe passing, I think it might have more to do with the driver making the turn onto the section of road the driver of the Toyota was in.

Sure, most people come to an intersection, look to the direction that they expect traffic should be coming from, and go, but they although they should, they rarely look the other way as well. A driver has the responsibility to see a space is clear before he/she moves into it. The right turner clearly didn't.

I'm not so sure the riding 2 abreast has much to do with the collision either. I'd bet that even if there was a single cyclist on the road and these 2 cars did what they did, the Toyota still would have done the same thing and had the same result (except of course it would have been a single cyclist hit)

It's too bad though. This could have been an opportunity for a high profile and much admired athlete to make some public service announcements for safe driving practices around cyclists. Because the group broke a law, the public would say the cyclists shouldn't have been riding likje they were. They wouldn't see that a driver turned into a roadway withouty seeing that it wasn't safe to do so.
Old 03-13-09, 06:19 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
If you take the time to read and understand the traffic laws, you'll see that to be "impeding the flow of traffic" implies that the driver is intentionally going slower than they otherwise could for no legitimate reason. Cyclists, operating human powered vehicles, do not have engines that can run up to their peak output for indefinite periods of time. As such, a cyclist cannot be expected to be able to maintain any speed other than simply moving. For that reason, many vehicle code's impeding traffic laws only apply to motor vehicles.

Slow moving vehicles are required to turn out where possible to allow backed up traffic to pass but only when going less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place. If you have a peleton of 50 cyclists and a few motorists, the normal speed of traffic at that time and place is the speed of the cyclists.
I don't think it matters whether it's someone intentionally driving slow or just incapable of going faster. If you are not capable of maintaining the posted speed, you should do what you can to see to it that you don't hold up others. We can argue the legality of it till the cows come home, but, imo, it comes down to just doing the considerate thing. Believe it or not, folks value their time. Not everyone is driving a car just because they are lazy. They might be driving one because it is a quick and practical way to get from one place to another. They shouldn't have to schedule an extra 20 minutes because they got stuck behind bicyclists.
Old 03-13-09, 06:34 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I don't think it matters whether it's someone intentionally driving slow or just incapable of going faster. If you are not capable of maintaining the posted speed, you should do what you can to see to it that you don't hold up others. We can argue the legality of it till the cows come home, but, imo, it comes down to just doing the considerate thing. Believe it or not, folks value their time. Not everyone is driving a car just because they are lazy. They might be driving one because it is a quick and practical way to get from one place to another. They shouldn't have to schedule an extra 20 minutes because they got stuck behind bicyclists.
You are missing my point. You claimed that simply not maintaining the speed limit is impeding the flow of traffic. Legally, you are wrong. That's not how the law defines it.

As to being courteous, expecting 50 cyclists to pull off the road to let one motorist by is going way beyond any courtesy one should expect on the road. Do you expect all the traffic backed up at a light to pull over and let you go first just because you are in more of a hurry than the other people are? Does it make a difference if you might have to wait at the light for a bit for the traffic to clear? I doubt it.

I have no idea what exactly transpired in this situation and for all I know, the motorist could have had clear sightlines to pass but some riders made it impossible for him to do so. In my experience though, it's far more frequent that a motorist decides not to wait the 10-20 seconds (a magnitude smaller than your 20 minutes exagerration) to complete a safe pass than cyclists intentionally take up an entire road trying to block anyone from passing.

Your pleas for making sure motorists aren't slowed down are going to fall on deaf ears with most of us given that motorists experience far more delays from traffic other than cyclists or traffic control devices, all of which they quietly accept. Yet somehow the infrequent occurence of a cyclist(s) in their way provokes a complete disregard for the law (someone else breaking the law is no excuse for you to as well) and common sense.
Old 03-13-09, 09:04 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joejack951
You are missing my point. You claimed that simply not maintaining the speed limit is impeding the flow of traffic. Legally, you are wrong. That's not how the law defines it.

As to being courteous, expecting 50 cyclists to pull off the road to let one motorist by is going way beyond any courtesy one should expect on the road. Do you expect all the traffic backed up at a light to pull over and let you go first just because you are in more of a hurry than the other people are? Does it make a difference if you might have to wait at the light for a bit for the traffic to clear? I doubt it.

I have no idea what exactly transpired in this situation and for all I know, the motorist could have had clear sightlines to pass but some riders made it impossible for him to do so. In my experience though, it's far more frequent that a motorist decides not to wait the 10-20 seconds (a magnitude smaller than your 20 minutes exagerration) to complete a safe pass than cyclists intentionally take up an entire road trying to block anyone from passing.

Your pleas for making sure motorists aren't slowed down are going to fall on deaf ears with most of us given that motorists experience far more delays from traffic other than cyclists or traffic control devices, all of which they quietly accept. Yet somehow the infrequent occurence of a cyclist(s) in their way provokes a complete disregard for the law (someone else breaking the law is no excuse for you to as well) and common sense.
I disagree with this statement a bit. I think it is the courteous thing to do when there are so many cyclists riding together. With 50 cyclists riding 2 abreast, you have a mass of "slow moving" vehicles about 100 feet long. That is nearly impossible to pass even in the best conditions, especially if there is oncoming traffic. In this scenario, a motorist may never be able to safely pass the group of cyclists. If this is a 55mph highway, the driver could be stuck at 25 mph for the entire trip; it is my opinion that this is irresponsible behavior by the cyclists. As numerous people have mentioned before, riding in smaller groups or pulling over to allow faster traffic to pass, is the courteous, responsible action to take.
Old 03-14-09, 08:31 AM
closetbiker

It seems to me what I'm hearing is that cyclists shouldn't even be on the road. The fact is, bicycles are allowed on the road and they travel at bicycle speeds. Other road users just have to expect that at times. They'll have to slow down, wait and pass when it's safe to do so just like they do when they have to wait for that truck that is taking a long time to ascend a hill or waiting for a bus to let it's passengers on or off.

There are narrow stretches of road where the safest thing for a cyclist to do is be far enough in the lane so that a vehicle who wishes to pass has to move into the oncoming lane of traffic to do so. It seems this is what happened here. If the riders were riding in single file, while being legal, it could make overtaking more difficult by stretching that line out to a much longer length making the overtaking much longer and more dangerous.

Hard to believe there's an argument over cyclists using the road here. Almost as hard as the discussion not focusing on an inattentive driver not looking at the road he is turning onto.
Old 03-14-09, 09:53 AM
justin70
a big man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No argument from me that cyclists have a right to the road.

I don't understand why passing would be allowed on a section of roadway with intersections. I cannot see how it's the fault of the turning driver to watch for a passing vehicle on the right. When you are passing, oncoming traffic has the right of way and you need to get out of the way. If a vehicle turns into the oncoming lane while you're are passing, you need to get out of the way. If this account is accurate, I would guess that the vehicle was passing the cyclists in a no passing zone.

Last edited by justin70; 03-14-09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 10:17 AM
closetbiker

You must look both ways before turning. A roadway has to be clear before you move into it. It looks like the driver of the Focus didn't do what he should have.
Old 03-14-09, 11:56 AM
justin70
a big man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by closetbiker
You must look both ways before turning. A roadway has to be clear before you move into it. It looks like the driver of the Focus didn't do what he should have.
I really disagree with this. The passing vehicle must yield to any oncoming traffic. It seems the passing driver messed up big time. I'm sure the laws are a bit different everywhere, but there really should not be a passing zone at the site of an intersection.

Last edited by justin70; 03-14-09 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 12:10 PM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin70
I really disagree with this. The passing vehicle must yield to any oncoming traffic. It seems the truck driver messed up big time. I'm sure the laws are a bit different everywhere, but there really should not be a passing zone at the site of an intersection.
You sir are completely correct. The toyota had no business passing here

Originally Posted by Times Colonist
Campbell said he was surprised the driver of the Toyota chose to pass at that time as it was on a solid yellow line nearing an intersection at a bend in the road.
Solid yellow means no passing, it's simple.
Old 03-14-09, 02:08 PM
closetbiker

What? Oncoming traffic can't be coming from a direction that you weren't looking at?

The Toyota that was passing the cyclists sustained side impact damage. The Ford that was making a right turn out from Ravenscroft Place had front impact damage. In other words, the car that was pulling out, drove straight into the side of the passing vehicle.

Keep in mind that Lands End Road is a through road that is narrow and Ranenscroft Place has a stop sign at the intersection with LER.

Common sense tells us, cars turning into a roadway should not enter the roadway if vehicles "are approaching so closely on the through highway as to constitute an immediate hazard"

Does that sound like that was the overtaking vehicles fault?

... and, double yellow means no passing. Single yellow means you can pass when safe. Do you know if there was a double, or single yellow at this point of the road?

Last edited by closetbiker; 03-14-09 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 02:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Hard to believe there's an argument over cyclists using the road here. Almost as hard as the discussion not focusing on an inattentive driver not looking at the road he is turning onto.
Agreed. This was one of my points in a different earlier thread about the same event:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...68&postcount=6

Al
Old 03-14-09, 05:09 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind that Lands End Road is a through road that is narrow and Ranenscroft Place has a stop sign at the intersection with LER.
By through road do you mean that this is a fairly busy road?

If so, we have a busy, narrow road, with side roads.

Seems to me that this is a horrible choice for a group ride of any more than a few people. And it's a really dumb place to be riding anything other than single file.

Sounds like the olympic rider that was involved is a pretty stand up dude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.