Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with a camelback

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 06:26 AM
ir0nfist
gnilcyc

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw it mentioned in the WWIII thread. I have one from when I was in the military and have used it on my longer rides because it holds a lot of water, about 2.5 liters I think. Does that make me a Fred? It also has a nice pocket to put my MP3 player since I only have one cycling jersey right now and it's not always clean.
Old 08-26-08, 06:31 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I wear mine to ride. The main problem I've heard that people have with it is that it puts extra weight on your saddle, instead of just carrying water on your frame. And to those people I say... HTFU

Plus if they don't look like the perfect cyclist they feel bad about themselves because someone calls them a Fred.
Old 08-26-08, 06:31 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
what if it does? what if it doesnt? will you not ride with it or not ride at all?

fact is most roadies do not use a camelbak. not sure what that makes you though.

for me, its just easier to stop and refill or carry an extra bottle in a back pocket. the weight of the pack when in the drops, the slushing around of the water, the extra back sweat on hot days.....it just is NOT my thing.

later.
Old 08-26-08, 06:34 AM
ir0nfist
gnilcyc

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just curious. I will still use it for longer solo rides. If you have used one you will know it doesn't slosh around, it creates some kind of vacuum and the water doesn't move much at all. I think it hurts the roof of my mouth though and sometimes the cable will hang down when I am in the drops and annoyingly touch my right knee. But that is easily fixed.
Old 08-26-08, 06:36 AM
Pugsly
Ride to Ride

Bikes: Fuji C7 full DA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like those packs for two reasons -

1. It caused wear spots on my cycling jersey
2. I sweat when I ride, and don't want that thing on my back - get's hot and annoying.
Old 08-26-08, 06:38 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
2 hour ride - 2 bottles on the bike
3 hr + ride - Camelback (no searching and stopping to fill bottles)

End of story.
Old 08-26-08, 06:39 AM
Hammertoe
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a CamelBak on every ride...

It has almost everything you need to fix a mechanical...

I even stuff a Topeka Road Morph pump in it...

Oh, and on a long ride I put some water in it...

I don't care if I am a Fred...

Nobody has laughed at me to my face...

It is all about the engine...

Old 08-26-08, 06:41 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I also carry all of my tools and spare tubes and iPod (gasp! say it ain't so!), and food, and all that good stuff in my Camelbak. I still use water bottles for Gatorade sometimes, since I don't like putting Gatorade in my Camelbak.
Old 08-26-08, 06:45 AM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use mine when I ride to my rock climbing gym. Carries all my gear plus my water. It's useful.
Old 08-26-08, 06:48 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ir0nfist
I was just curious. I will still use it for longer solo rides. If you have used one you will know it doesn't slosh around, it creates some kind of vacuum and the water doesn't move much at all. I think it hurts the roof of my mouth though and sometimes the cable will hang down when I am in the drops and annoyingly touch my right knee. But that is easily fixed.

i have two of them. the mule for the mtb'ing and a smaller roadie specific one that i have only used once. they both slosh. later.
Old 08-26-08, 06:53 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used one on hot days and didn't find the sweat issue to be too bad.

Also good for mountain biking because it keeps the water supply away from splashing mud and microbes.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 08-26-08, 06:56 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my 50 oz camelback and two bottles on long solo rides. I can ride for 3 to 4 hours before needing refills. The weight of the camelback has never been an issue. What I really like about the camelback is that I can fill the bladder with ice with some water to fill the voids, then 2 + hours later I still have cold water. The camelback also has webbing that I can put a jacket and tights under when it warms up.
Old 08-26-08, 07:18 AM
ncherry
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ir0nfist
I saw it mentioned in the WWIII thread. I have one from when I was in the military and have used it on my longer rides because it holds a lot of water, about 2.5 liters I think. Does that make me a Fred? It also has a nice pocket to put my MP3 player since I only have one cycling jersey right now and it's not always clean.
I qualify as a Fred but I also ride double metrics at 18.5 avg (over the entire ride). I guess that makes me a fast Fred.

I use the Camelbak because my rides are long. This weekend I may have a 50 mile section with no stops (i.e. there is nowhere to stop) and I down two water bottles in an hour on my commutes so water bottles won't work for me. I tend to ride with the Camelbak anyway because I'm conditioned to reach for the tube without thinking. Lastly, I'm the ride leader and I keep extra tubes, tires, tools and what not in there. The Ventoux model makes that easy to do. Ya know it might be a good idea if I kept a map in there too (nah, what's the fun in that ).

Things to point out, it really doesn't slosh though a full pack and full bladder do requires a readjustment. My pack does move about as I keep the straps rather loose. It is a little annoying when in the drops but easily fixed. BTW, my handlebars on my Giant TCR3 are a good deal below the nose of my seat. Oddly enough I think the Camelbak protects my back from the sun. I ride in the NJ Pine Barrens and there is no shade on some sections (22 miles on this Saturday's ride). I don't notice excess sweat running down my back but that may be me. I use Gatorade and I keep a small 'can' of the powder in the pack. It's a lot cheaper. I also carry 2 water bottles. On my long rides into the Barrens I use those to dump over my head.

As far as weight, yes my pack is heavy. I'm used to it and I have no back or shoulder problems. A full bladder, 3L, weighs less than 8lbs. To see what I typically carry see my Ventoux Page. To see my routes see My routes on Bikely and this Saturday's ride (Cranbury-Batso-Tabernacle).
Old 08-26-08, 07:38 AM
ehidle
T-Shirt Guy

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Camelbak. They have their utility. I wouldn't show up to the weekly A-ride with one, but if I'm going somewhere by myself in rural PA where there is 20 miles between WaWa stores, I'm taking my H.A.W.G.

Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
Men's
and Women's designs available
Old 08-26-08, 07:40 AM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will use it on really long rides (60 milers) if refilling is an issue. But I do prefer a handlebar bag with 2 extra bottles. My only problem with it is that it takes more time to clean it and getting it ready.
Old 08-26-08, 07:44 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I use mine when I can't carry enough water in bottles. I do however get a really hot stripe down the middle of my back because there is no airflow where the Camelback is.
Old 08-26-08, 07:52 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't care what YOU do, but I don't like to ride with ***** on my back. If I need the extra water I can put extra bottles in my pocket. Conveniently, jersey pockets are intentionally sized to hold water bottles. (and no, the bottle in the pocket is not the same as a packpack pressed up against my back). 4 bottles x 24oz = 96oz (almost 3 liters). I've never had a situation where that wasn't enough water to last me until I could refil again.
Old 08-26-08, 08:10 AM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
i have two of them. the mule for the mtb'ing and a smaller roadie specific one that i have only used once. they both slosh. later.
prep the bladder, then.

fill the thing full of water, and seal it. then get rid of the air bubble that remains; that is what causes the sloshing. suck it out with the hose. if it's only water in the pack it won't slosh.

i ride with my cbak, but i look/act like a noob on the road.
Old 08-26-08, 08:26 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've only ridden with my CB on a hand full of occasions but each time it was great. I followed a tip I learned here on BF. I filled the camelbak half way up with water and then froze it. Then the morning of my ride I filled it again with cold water. I ended up drinking cold ice water for the entire 4-5 hour ride. And because it stayed cold it wasn't TOO annoying on my back.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-26-08, 08:28 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I've only ridden with my CB on a hand full of occasions but each time it was great. I followed a tip I learned here on BF. I filled the camelbak half way up with water and then froze it. Then the morning of my ride I filled it again with cold water. I ended up drinking cold ice water for the entire 4-5 hour ride. And because it stayed cold it wasn't TOO annoying on my back.
Interestingly on one of my rides where I took a bottle in my jersey pocket, I froze it the night before, and it stayed cold on my back. I had frozen another bottle that I kept on the frame and it melted and warmed up far quicker than the one on my back did.
Old 08-26-08, 08:36 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the hydrapak brand. Very small profile. I switch from bike to bike, so it is just a convenient place to carry water plus tools. It is a small one. Sweat has never been an issue. You get scorned by serious roadies and OCPs.
Old 08-26-08, 09:00 AM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottles don't keep water cold in the summer, and they freeze in the winter time.
Old 08-26-08, 09:04 AM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Interestingly on one of my rides where I took a bottle in my jersey pocket, I froze it the night before, and it stayed cold on my back. I had frozen another bottle that I kept on the frame and it melted and warmed up far quicker than the one on my back did.
More air flow on the bottles on the frame. In your pocket your body blocks the air from pulling the cold out of the bottle. BLT Baby!!! (BLT= Boundary Layer Theory)
Old 08-26-08, 09:18 AM
pagliaci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have to ask, there's no hope for you.
Old 08-26-08, 09:22 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.5 liters of water weigh 5.5 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.