Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

QR vs thru-axle, and rigid carbon fork 2022

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 09:34 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts

I'm thinking about a 2022 Giant ToughRoad SLR 1, and I can't find any real-life reviews or close-up pictures. The published specs don't specify, and the local shops haven't seen these yet…

Do these bikes use QR or thru-axle?

Perhaps more importantly, does it really matter on a 2022 bike with a rigid carbon fork?

Also, I've almost never used a bike with a carbon fork, especially for commuting. There's a part of my head that says it's a bad idea to ride a plastic bike, but I guess the reality of it is that it's at least as tough and durable as any ALU fork, right? Part of what makes me wonder about that is the front pannier rack that it comes with; that's in two pieces, one on each side of the fork. The engineering part of my brain is thinking that loaded front panniers would put a torsional stress on the bolts and bolt-holes; it seems like a one-piece front rack, ideally with a "stabiliser" bolt at the front-crown, would minimise any torsional forces on the other bolts, and on the bolt-holes. Am I just over-thinking this?

2022 Giant ToughRoad SLR 1
Old 01-14-22, 10:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I bet Giant specs a weight limit on the front racks and I would trust it.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-15-22, 12:45 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by tyrion
I bet Giant specs a weight limit on the front racks and I would trust it.
I can't find a spec for that. Still, uneven loads, bumpy roads… As I understand it, carbon fibre isn't subject to stress fracture like metals are, but it still seems like it would be more prudent to use a one-piece front-rack, ideally with a bolt at the top, for extra stability.
Old 01-15-22, 02:11 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
Am I just over-thinking this?
I would agree.

Looks QR from the picture, but that's relying on the calibrated eye-a-scope.
Old 01-15-22, 02:48 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I think Giant tends to overbuild things ( not the lightest bike ). If Giant sells it with a front rack it should fine.

I thought all the big manufactures moved away from QR for disc brakes.

Looks like a fun bike to commute on.
Old 01-15-22, 03:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I thought all the big manufactures moved away from QR for disc brakes.
Unless a law/reg is forcing engineering to have a certain safety equipped feature, the OEM is most likely to choose the faster/lower cost design that meets the design objective rather than a perceived safety concern.
Old 01-15-22, 07:36 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Troul
Unless a law/reg is forcing engineering to have a certain safety equipped feature, the OEM is most likely to choose the faster/lower cost design that meets the design objective rather than a perceived safety concern.
My guess is that they've got however many forks/frames at the factory that they need to get through, before the re-tool from QR to thru-axle. I'm wondering if the lack of published spec might indicate a change from QR to thru-axle during the production year.

A few of the reviews I found for the 2021 model expressed surprise that these bikes were still using QRs, and expected the 2022 model to have thru-axle.
Likes For smasha:
Old 01-15-22, 07:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
That is speculative, and probably often incorrect.

OP: I would much rather have a carbon fiber fork than one made of aluminum on any kind of bike. Aluminum is subject to fatigue, while carbon fiber is not.

I suggest that you send Giant an email asking about the weight limit on the front load… But it is probably sufficient for anything you would want to carry on that bike.

PS: some posters will act as if quick releases with disc brakes is some kind of tragedy… It is not. It will work fine.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-15-22 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-15-22, 11:04 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I have QR on my gravel bike with discs, and on my tandem with discs. Never had a problem other than minor alignment issues.
Having said that, my new bikes will both have thru axles because if you have a choice it is a better one, but as stated above, QR will work.
Old 01-16-22, 12:31 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
It looks like QR front and rear and wouldn't surprise me. I think it is sort of one of their better bikes but like most Giant stuff leaves a good bit to be desired.
Old 01-16-22, 07:28 AM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
It doesn’t matter if it’s QR or thru axle.
Old 01-16-22, 05:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by Point
It might not matter to you....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-17-22, 06:41 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Point
I have both on disc brake bikes; prefer t/a, but q/r works fine. And I’ve never seen a different opinion on BF, until your post.
Old 01-17-22, 09:52 AM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
According to this review, QR it is: https://road.cc/content/review/giant...-1-2021-285285
Old 01-17-22, 10:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
That bike is not available in the U.S. right now for some reason. It's only being shown on the Internal Giant Website.

Currently it is a QR axle front and rear.

Having had QR bikes in the past where it has loosened up on a gravel ride...I won't ever buy a bike unless it has thru axles.
Old 01-17-22, 11:04 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by prj71
That bike is not available in the U.S. right now for some reason. It's only being shown on the Internal Giant Website.

Currently it is a QR axle front and rear.

Having had QR bikes in the past where it has loosened up on a gravel ride...I won't ever buy a bike unless it has thru axles.
A good internal cam qr, used properly, won't "loosen up." Hell, I don't even know what "loosen up" even means in this context.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-17-22, 11:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A properly tightened internal cam qr skewer accompanied by adequate "lawyer's lips" on the fork dropouts are sufficient to make disc brakes reliable and secure. However, a thru axle avoids these issues by design and provides more reliable alignment of the rotor and caliper after wheel removal and reinstallation. There are good reasons thru axles are nearly standard on disc brake bikes of all types.
Old 01-17-22, 03:36 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Koyote
A good internal cam qr, used properly, won't "loosen up." Hell, I don't even know what "loosen up" even means in this context.
Is it that hard to understand?

From the vibrations on the road the lever will loosen up releasing the tension, then it slowly starts turning and then the front wheel becomes loose in the fork or rear wheel in frame. Had this happen numerous times. Thus I know longer own bikes with QR. Thru axle only. Also, QR and disc brakes don't work well together.
Old 01-17-22, 03:46 PM
Koyote

From the vibrations on the road the lever will loosen up releasing the tension, then it slowly starts turning and then the front wheel becomes loose in the fork or rear wheel in frame. Had this happen numerous times. Thus I know longer own bikes with QR. Thru axle only. Also, QR and disc brakes don't work well together.
You're confusing user error with a design flaw.
Old 01-17-22, 03:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

From the vibrations on the road the lever will loosen up releasing the tension, then it slowly starts turning and then the front wheel becomes loose in the fork or rear wheel in frame.
This is incorrect. If your wheel has become loose it's because you did something wrong or your equipment was faulty. FWIW, I'm no fan of QR and discs and wouldn't buy a new disc brake bike w/o thru axles. Nothing to do with fear of the wheel coming loose, however.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-17-22, 03:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts

From the above information I have to conclude you don't know how to use a qr skewer correctly. The flag on a properly tightened qr skewer cams "over center" as it is closed and, therefore, it gets tighter as it is opened the initial few degrees. Unless it is physically caught on something it is almost impossible for it to loosen spontaneously from vibration. In over 240,000 miles of riding I have never had a qr skewer show the slightest signs of loosening by itself and none of my riding friends have either. I believe you should get someone who knows how to use them show you how it's done.
Old 01-18-22, 09:07 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Koyote
You're confusing user error with a design flaw.
Absolutely not. I'm a mechanical engineer for a living. I know how this stuff works.

Plenty of evidence on this forum and elsewhere on the interwebs of QR axles coming loose on people.
Old 01-18-22, 09:14 AM
prj71

I should mention that my previous QR axle bikes had disc brakes. One was a Fat Bike and the other a Road bike. The axle loosening up on the fat bike was more of issue than the road bike due to the terrain I would ride the fat bike on.

A front disc brake caliper behind the fork blade generates a powerful force tending to loosen a quick release and pull the wheel out of the fork. A special hub, and a fork with a hole rather than a slot for the axle, are needed to surmount this problem.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/disc-brakes.html

In any case, QR axle bikes are going away and will soon only be found on department store bikes.
Old 01-18-22, 09:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I don't know about fat bikes but I'm skeptical that you pulled a correctly installed wheel loose on a road bike, disc or not.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-18-22, 09:39 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know about fat bikes but I'm skeptical that you pulled a correctly installed wheel loose on a road bike, disc or not.
He claimed it happened on a gravel ride.

I've got over 10k miles on a gravel bike with QRs and disc brakes, and that includes plenty of gravel riding - including some famously gnarly and steep races - and have never had a problem. 'Course, I am using XT skewers and, umm, I know how to use them.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.