Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Chrome Dome" Skull Caps

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Chrome Dome" Skull Caps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 11:11 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
"Chrome Dome" Skull Caps

Anyone have experience with the Chrome Dome brand of skull cap? Before I plunk down $30 for a skull cap, I'm hoping to get some feedback first.

Reasons I'm interested specifically in the Chrome Dome skull cap:
  • Sizes: I apparently have a large noggin' and I know for sure that the "one size fits all" do not. Chrome Domes come in sizes. Yippee.
  • Over the Ear: I've found that having fabric over my ears not only protects from the sun but also reduces wind noise. Win.
  • Bug Protection: Sweatbands don't cover the top of my head which becomes a problem when mc'-nasty biting wasps and the like get sucked into my helmet and hang-out in my hair.
  • Sweat: My head likes to sweat a lot and I need something to keep sweat out of my eyes and glasses.
I'm open to suggestions on other brands of summer skull caps that meet the above requirements, but so far I've searched far-and-wide and the only other brand caps I've found that meet most of the requirements are for winter riding.

Old 04-28-24, 01:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked 2,123 Times in 1,198 Posts
I just use some cheap Coolmax caps from Amazon. I have a few of the more expensive name brands, they pretty much function the same. I don't want over the ear, so all I need it to do is keep the sun off my bald head. Nothing works great for sweat control, a sweat band is as good as a skull cap. If I know it's going to be a hot day, I bring a spare and swap out when the sweat is getting into my eyes.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-29-24, 06:04 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 269 Posts
I tried other brands but Headsweats works for me. I use their Do Tag Skull caps under helmets with large vents to keep from getting tiger stripe tans or burns. I just got a Trek Circuit Wavecell helmets and use the Headsweats head band. So far today at 90 F today it worked.
Old 04-29-24, 09:29 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 204 Posts
I wear very thin skull caps for sweat management, but could not imagine wearing even the thinnest ones over my ears in warm weather. But I have not worn white ones, so maybe the white reflecting the sun makes for a net cooling effect.

I used to just use thin sweat bands, but my hair started doing really weird things and then I figured out the sweat band was pushing my hair up into odd shapes and my hair was "learning" this. So, a skull cap works more like a do-rag keeping my hair from being distorted. But still sweat control is why I use it at all.