Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986 Miyata 912 - 57cm

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 02:20 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts
1986 Miyata 912 - 57cm

Just finished this build, it’s too small for me but wanted to get an idea of what the community thought of the bike and it’s worth in Toronto, ON.

Bike has original Shimano 600 bottom bracket, wheel hubs, Shimano Biopace 52/42 with Shimano 600 13-24. Brake levers are Dia-Compe BL-1022, Shimano 600 friction shifters, Axiom micro adjustable seat post, original Selle Italia Turbo saddle, GT Sakae 44cm bars, Custom 100mm stem, and SPD pedals.

Likes For Tango1:
Old 06-26-23, 09:01 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I would say its a $200 bike in USA New England
Old 06-26-23, 12:19 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I had heard that Toronto was a good market for sellers. Not sure in the current economic climate, given the apparent surplus of bikes of all sorts.

But having said that I'd hope that the bike would get more than $200 given the overall condition, decent parts and the fact it is a Miyata, a respected brand. How much more is the question.

Regarding condition, the things that I would downgrade it for would be the stem and the seat post. They aren't very attractive. No big deal if you are only interested in performance, but aesthetics are a big deal to me.
Old 06-26-23, 02:29 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
$250-300 in the desert Southwest, USA.

You've done a beautiful presentation.
Old 07-03-23, 08:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Sweet. But, this is a really tough market for vintage stuff right now. Anyhow........... I wouldn't take less than $300 for that. Three years ago that would have been a $400 bike.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 07-04-23, 12:58 PM
rwh63

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
why is the market tough?
Old 07-04-23, 02:24 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Beauty

Old 07-04-23, 02:40 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Originally Posted by rwh63
why is the market tough?
Basically the market during COVID was inflated with bikes selling quickly and above market value. Since interest rates have increased discretionary spending has dipped considerably and a 35 year old triathlons bike isn’t high up on the priority list for many households where as a year ago it may have sparked interest.

Worst case scenario I end up with a great classic I can ride around town and lend friends.

Last edited by Tango1; 07-10-23 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 08:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Well.............................................................................

The market for old vintage bikes is "tough" right now because technology has caught up. Nobody is going to pay over $350 for an old bike when they can get a brand new bike (with brand new wheels, tires, brakes, cables, everything) for $400.
Why would you blow your hard earned money on a 30 year old bike with flat tires when you could get a brand new one mail ordered to your house for less?
Just my humble opinion.
Clean your old bike up. Put new tires on it. Adjust the brakes & lubricate it. Ask for $375 or less. It will sell. Otherwise, it's going to sit in your garage for a while.
Just sayin.
Be good. Have fun.
Old 07-10-23, 06:24 AM
Tango1

Originally Posted by ramzilla
Well.............................................................................

The market for old vintage bikes is "tough" right now because technology has caught up. Nobody is going to pay over $350 for an old bike when they can get a brand new bike (with brand new wheels, tires, brakes, cables, everything) for $400.
Why would you blow your hard earned money on a 30 year old bike with flat tires when you could get a brand new one mail ordered to your house for less?
Just my humble opinion.
Clean your old bike up. Put new tires on it. Adjust the brakes & lubricate it. Ask for $375 or less. It will sell. Otherwise, it's going to sit in your garage for a while.
Just sayin.
Be good. Have fun.
Definitely, this bike however is ready to ride with new rubber, grease, cables, and housing. I have it listed for $500 CAD which is about your $375 price. I'm seeing worse condition bikes requiring a full overhaul and rubber selling for $200-300 CAD so figured a bike that's ready to roll for $500 would be a fair price. I agree, I think the prices are very high but comparatively I don't think it's outrageous. Anyway, like I said the worst-case scenario is I have a fun bike to ride around. Honestly, if someone made an offer for $375 CAD I'd probably take it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate all the feedback