Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fitting a resto-mod

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Fitting a resto-mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-23, 08:18 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Fitting a resto-mod

Hello all,

So, I'm building up an old steel frame with modern Shimano parts and I'd like to get an actual fit done for it. My concern is the difficulty of setting bar position on a bike with a quill stem.
Do any of you experienced fitters have suggestions? I plan on calling the shop ahead of time and seeing what they'd say. My thinking is I can buy a few cheap Kalloy quill stems in various sizes and just throw my brake levers on without cables or tape. That way we can kinda sorta swap stems if needed. Thoughts?

​​​​
Old 11-25-23, 10:58 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
Hello all,

So, I'm building up an old steel frame with modern Shimano parts and I'd like to get an actual fit done for it. My concern is the difficulty of setting bar position on a bike with a quill stem.
Do any of you experienced fitters have suggestions? I plan on calling the shop ahead of time and seeing what they'd say. My thinking is I can buy a few cheap Kalloy quill stems in various sizes and just throw my brake levers on without cables or tape. That way we can kinda sorta swap stems if needed. Thoughts?

​​​​
Many fitters have adjustable stems that clamp onto 1 1/8" steerer tubes. If the fitter had one you'd only need a cheap quill-to-threadless adapter to mount it. It would also work with the fitter's standard threadless stems. Either way, bring a threadless adapter.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-26-23, 06:25 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Many fitters have adjustable stems that clamp onto 1 1/8" steerer tubes. If the fitter had one you'd only need a cheap quill-to-threadless adapter to mount it. It would also work with the fitter's standard threadless stems. Either way, bring a threadless adapter.
​​​​​​
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 12-19-23, 08:34 PM
mikeonbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
its all about the reach

I have retro steel bike and was having trouble finding the right 1inch steerer stem or goosenecks as they are known,my solution was getting an older one of a retro mountain bike,on those bikes they did longer stems,higher stems so you can get the correct reach,they are chrome moly stems so just repaint them,i dont trust alloy 1 inch steerer stems
Old 12-19-23, 08:37 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by mikeonbicycle
I have retro steel bike and was having trouble finding the right 1inch steerer stem or goosenecks as they are known,my solution was getting an older one of a retro mountain bike,on those bikes they did longer stems,higher stems so you can get the correct reach,they are chrome moly stems so just repaint them,i dont trust alloy 1 inch steerer stems
You don't trust stems made like cranks, but you do trust the little welds on steel stems?
Old 12-19-23, 09:07 PM
mikeonbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
alloy gooseneck

I have all alloy parts on my old steel bike,just not that gooseneck,i have seen a few snap in half over the years,if normal riding on rode bike they will most likely be fine,but if you commute around town alot and carry shopping etc over your bars or touring bike then chromemoly gooseneck is a safe bet,thats the reason why they were used on early mountain bikes as they never broke,i might be a bit paranoid about it but i know these chromemoly goosenecks wont ever let me down,if a crank or somthing else on bike breaks its no big deal,if that gooseneck breaks its not going to end well
Old 12-20-23, 10:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I had a 1991 Schwinn Paramount frame that I put all Shimano 105 5800 on back circa 2017. I used a alloy threadless adapter and it worked well in the threaded steerer tube. They really aren't any different than using a quill stem. But they allow you to easily change the stem length without having to strip your handlebars of tape and shifters.

There shouldn't be any concern at all for it snapping if you buy a decent popular brand that's been around for a while. However it seems that some want to add height to their bars by using obscenely long threaded adapters. And that does amplify the pulling and pushing forces on the bars that gets concentrated at the point where the adapter or even a really tall quill stem will enter the headset.

So if you find that the bike isn't giving you the correct height of the bars without such grossly overly long stuff, then you have the wrong size frame.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-20-23 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-26-23, 07:59 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by mikeonbicycle
I have all alloy parts on my old steel bike,just not that gooseneck,i have seen a few snap in half over the years,if normal riding on rode bike they will most likely be fine,but if you commute around town alot and carry shopping etc over your bars or touring bike then chromemoly gooseneck is a safe bet,thats the reason why they were used on early mountain bikes as they never broke,i might be a bit paranoid about it but i know these chromemoly goosenecks wont ever let me down,if a crank or somthing else on bike breaks its no big deal,if that gooseneck breaks its not going to end well
Alloy quill stems are normal. If yours are breaking, they probably weren't installed correctly.
Old 12-26-23, 08:58 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
He said gooseneck.