Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are Grab-Ons C&V now?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Keep or destroy the grab ons
Grab Ons are vintage and since they are in decent condition, should stay
26.92%
Replace with some red cloth tape before the ghost of Christmas bikes haunt you.
73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Are Grab-Ons C&V now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 07:48 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I voted (too late) but I hated Grab Ons on my motorcycle (tried them once as I got them for free) and hated them on my bicycle BITD (paid for a set). Just as bad as those huge steering wheel covers for cars. Dump ‘em. (Or place them lovingly in a box for the next person - they might be dust by then).
Old 12-24-23, 08:16 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
I first tried Grab Ons back in the '70s motorcycling to my girlfriend three states away. Now with arthritis in my hands I can tell you simple foam is far inferior to modern materials, such as gels, which provide better grip, vibration dampening, comfort, and appearance.
Old 12-24-23, 09:12 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
I’ve a set of NOS foam grips if you want something in better shape. (but likely three decades old or more)
Old 12-24-23, 09:46 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I used "Ultra-Thin" Grab-ons on my racing bike in the mid-eighties. They are dense closed-cell foam of a reasonably high durometer, not too squishy. I put cloth tape over them of course, I'm not a total fred. I didn't get ostracized by the other racers (especially on the odd occasions when I won), in fact I don't remember anyone even noticing them.
!
This treatment (the ultra thin neoprene material with cloth tape over-wrap) was donein period by Spence Wolf of Cupertino Bike Shop at customer request. Spence used thin wetsuit material on the top of the bars and on the upper surface of the drops. It had a good look and felt comfy.

So I'd say maybe this treatment has authentic provenance and therefore fits in the "C & V" timeline

/markp
Old 12-24-23, 01:20 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Not Spence Wolf, but rather Dr. Spence the founder of Spenco whom developed and marketed a far better cushioned grip for drop bars.

They have excellent longevity and easy to clean. Though I outer wrap them with Tressostar or Newbaums. They even work with under cables / aero brake levs / end shifters.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 12-24-23, 01:40 PM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
If you ride this bike frequently and they feel good, keep them. If they don’t, toss them. If they look fine to you, great. If not, use tape. If this a show bike, remove and tape.
Likes For Chain smoker:
Old 12-24-23, 01:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Defiantly vintage and maybe classic to a loving mom.

My .02 - it's fugly.

I try not to call someone's baby fugly, if you can't say something nice, keep yer yap shut. Etc,

But it's fugly. Sorry.
After thinking about it last night, I thought about looking for some Grab Ons for the bike that I ride to ALDI and the brewery or cruise the MUP on. They would appropriate for a bike boom bike such as my Takara. But then I decided I have to agree with you, they wouldn't look that swuft.

But I agree with others that say the OP should do what they want although it wouldn't hurt to see what 40 years of sweat may have done beneath them.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-24-23, 02:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...wasn't the next thing to come along the gel padded grip sleeves ? I vaguely remember those, but once gel corked bar tape came along, I never looked back.
Old 12-24-23, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
​​​​​​

Are Grab-Ons C&V now?

I don't think they are anything but c&v. It would be tough for me to come up with a situation where they aren't a c&v product that is largely relegated to low and mid level bikes from decades ago.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-24-23, 09:13 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
Harumph. So much hate for such a useful and comfortable product.

I was not aware of the thin racing-style Grab-Ons BITD, and don't recall seeing them in shops. They could have changed my life back then. Narrator: So would being broadsided by Dave Forsman's old van, but we won't let that distract from the story.

I do like Spenco grips, and agree they are a more-elegant solution. And yes, they're C&V too. I have hoarded collected several sets still in the bag. But they don't always like having cables run under them.

I'm going to console myself with the cushiness of the closed-cell foam used as grips on most of my bikes (even if not from Walla Walla), and let these macroaggressions pass.
Old 12-25-23, 09:03 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
They are not C&V. They are crap. They always were and I'm sure still are. Right up there with the solid rubber "flat proof" tires.
Old 12-25-23, 09:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
They are not C&V. They are crap. They always were and I'm sure still are. Right up there with the solid rubber "flat proof" tires.
Is 'c&v' suddenly only a category for quality stuff that's old? Seeing what's commonly posted on here for the last decade, thats quite the hot take.
Old 12-25-23, 11:17 AM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
I recall they had a reputation 'back then' for causing irritation to the forearms on long rides. Anyone else hear this?
Old 12-25-23, 11:27 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is 'c&v' suddenly only a category for quality stuff that's old? Seeing what's commonly posted on here for the last decade, thats quite the hot take.
There have been piles of trash parts made for bicycles over the decades. Are they all C&V simply because they're old? Or are they just old trash?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 12-25-23, 12:31 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
They are not C&V. They are crap.
Like the Schwinn Varsity, they are both c&v and crap.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-25-23, 12:39 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Like the Schwinn Varsity, they are both c&v and crap.
I read that US Grant used them.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-25-23, 06:02 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I'm going to come at this in two directions.

1. I've never dreamed of owning a Cinelli, much less two of them. (If I ever own an Italian bike, it's going to be a Frejus) However, if I ever owned a Cinelli, I would never dream of fitting them out with grab-ons. It's like killing kittens right in front of Karma.
2. Grab-ons are legitimately C&V and if they're in good shape, they're viable options on some bikes - namely those that originally came with safety levers - though I'd not call someone out on them if they happened to find themselves on a bike with a generic steel frame without butted tubes.

I even have grab ons on my Bridgestone 100 Fixie.
Old 12-26-23, 10:33 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
next up:

Are turkey levers C&V?
Old 12-26-23, 10:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

next up:

Are turkey levers C&V?

Some of the topics and comments posted in this forum are a real head scratcher.
It's like some just woke from a decades old slumber and haven't managed to look around before posting.

On a related note- 'are wireless drivetrains and housing internally routed through the head tube modern now?'
That's the level of this thread.
Old 12-26-23, 11:04 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
The best thing for Grab Ons is a razor knife.
Old 12-26-23, 11:25 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts

Some of the topics and comments posted in this forum are a real head scratcher.
It's like some just woke from a decades old slumber and haven't managed to look around before posting.

On a related note- 'are wireless drivetrains and housing internally routed through the head tube modern now?'
That's the level of this thread.
No.

The issue at hand is the definition of C&V. You probably read a couple dozen of the hundreds of threads that try at that foolish endeavor. But, in general, most agree vintage is an age (25-35 years) and classic means "stands the test of time" and is not faddish, like the OP topic. I decided in my post to split hairs and say indeed these fugly things are vintage, and not classic as only a mother could love that ugly baby. Others have decided not to split that hair, either they are classic AND vintage, or you are not. They have a point, whether you agree with it or not, is irrelevant.

Getting to turkey wings, I'll split hairs again, certainly old, certainly a waste of metal.
Old 12-26-23, 11:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by iab
No.

The issue at hand is the definition of C&V. You probably read a couple dozen of the hundreds of threads that try at that foolish endeavor. But, in general, most agree vintage is an age (25-35 years) and classic means "stands the test of time" and is not faddish, like the OP topic. I decided in my post to split hairs and say indeed these fugly things are vintage, and not classic as only a mother could love that ugly baby. Others have decided not to split that hair, either they are classic AND vintage, or you are not. They have a point, whether you agree with it or not, is irrelevant.

Getting to turkey wings, I'll split hairs again, certainly old, certainly a waste of metal.
This is a common response from you in this forum and it never gets old.
When it comes to opinions on something that has no agreed upon definition, sure everyone then has a point even if I or you don't agree with it.
Thst isn't some revolutionary observation.
It's a message board and discussion is meant to exist here. If responses weren't meant to exist, there would be no quote button. But there is a quotr button and responses are encouraged. So yeah, responses to opinions will happen.

Grab ons clearly aren't modern, so i said they are c&v sincethe status for the specific item is pretty binary to me.
Others hated on it and declared it's bad and therfore not c&v. I asked if only nice stuff can be c&v.

^!thought a recap could help you see that multiple opinions have been given and we all recognize that there is no clear line for what is or isn't c&v from a date or quality perspective.

A wise man taught me that even if you disagree with my comments here, I have a point and your disagreement is irrelevant. Since it would be absurd to post an irrelevant reply, it's best thst you don't.
Old 12-26-23, 02:03 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
This is a common response from you in this forum and it never gets old.
When it comes to opinions on something that has no agreed upon definition, sure everyone then has a point even if I or you don't agree with it.
Thst isn't some revolutionary observation.
It's a message board and discussion is meant to exist here. If responses weren't meant to exist, there would be no quote button. But there is a quotr button and responses are encouraged. So yeah, responses to opinions will happen.

Grab ons clearly aren't modern, so i said they are c&v sincethe status for the specific item is pretty binary to me.
Others hated on it and declared it's bad and therfore not c&v. I asked if only nice stuff can be c&v.

^!thought a recap could help you see that multiple opinions have been given and we all recognize that there is no clear line for what is or isn't c&v from a date or quality perspective.

A wise man taught me that even if you disagree with my comments here, I have a point and your disagreement is irrelevant. Since it would be absurd to post an irrelevant reply, it's best thst you don't.
I provided a clear explanation of the objection. "Nice stuff" had nothing to do with, yet you bring it up again. Why?

And since you went off on some long diatribe that has nothing to do with the more or less agreed upon definition of classic, You are going down a rabbit hole you created. How exactly is that relevant?
Old 12-26-23, 03:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by iab
I provided a clear explanation of the objection. "Nice stuff" had nothing to do with, yet you bring it up again. Why?

And since you went off on some long diatribe that has nothing to do with the more or less agreed upon definition of classic, You are going down a rabbit hole you created. How exactly is that relevant?
Old 12-26-23, 04:05 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
The best thing for Grab Ons is a razor knife.
Careful what you state, or you might end up in Bike Forums jail.

(Ps. I confess being a serial slasher to barf tape.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.