Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Patch Tubes Anymore?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Does Anyone Patch Tubes Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 04:51 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Eagle and order of the Arrow...and my dad was the first silver beaver award for leadership in montana

but I have had cases where I used both spares and then had to patch. I never used to use C02....but pumping a tire and then having to repump after the valve failed on a 105 day lead me to Co2

I also carry spare valves and valve tool
Vigil Honor member here Lodge #4

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 02-29-24, 04:55 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

https://www.schwalbetires.com/recycling/

Old 02-29-24, 04:56 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Link to program

https://www.schwalbetires.com/recycling/

Old 02-29-24, 08:36 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Patch kits are super cheap. I also patched a pinhole in a TPU tube using their supplied patch kit (RideNow).
Old 02-29-24, 09:34 AM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
I use those peel and stick, find it helps to clean the area with alcohol before applying the patch.
Old 02-29-24, 09:50 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by striker65
I use those peel and stick, find it helps to clean the area with alcohol before applying the patch.
Yes, we should all carry alcohol on our rides. Just for emergencies you know
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 02-29-24, 10:21 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
For sure. Maybe we should set up some kind of system that brings the tubers and the patchers together??
A sort of sewing circle with added solvent inhalation to spice things up.....
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-29-24, 10:23 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Yes, we should all carry alcohol on our rides. Just for emergencies you know
All these years, I thought that was what the second bottle was for...
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-29-24, 10:36 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I don't patch - I replace. However, everybody knows that some patch and some don't, so I'll try adding something of value to the discussion:

If you don't definitively locate the source of a puncture and remove it, you need to accept the possibility that a sharp bit is still stuck in the wheel and may flat you again. Heck, even if you find and remove a shard, there might be more. Every time that happens, I would suggest slapping a dollar bill sized patch around the area to protect your new tube/new patch for awhile - even if the tire looks fine. You can always remove it later. I don't have any great suggestions about what might be the best material to use, but I suppose anything is better than nothing.
Wait, so you don't patch if you have gotten a flat, but are suggesting preemptively patching with huge patches, before you get a flat?

You are joking right?

So i will suggest that you should just go ahead and replace the tire and tube after the flat, since might as well address all the possibilities and produce as much landfill as possible in the process.
Old 02-29-24, 11:00 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
i patch, but as noted I only use Rema patch kits....I have tried other kits and the peel and stick patches and nothing works as well

IMHO silly economy to try anything else like contact cement and bits of rubber

I also have had better luck with quality tubes than cheapies

FWIW I carry 2 tubes, patch kit, co2 and a pump.
All that plus $20 boot/emergency fund, presta/shraeder adapter. On the tubeless bike, add sealant, tubeless valve stem, plug kit. Occasionally a spare tire.

I don't carry a spare left crankarm and bolt, though I did see one fall off a bike at PBP last year
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-29-24, 11:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I use the glueless patches. If done right they last a long time. I have one tire that has a glueless patch that must be 3 years old this year. I wont trash a tube unless it has about 3 patches.

It depends on where I am at, if I patch on the spot, or put in a new tube, and patch at home.
Old 02-29-24, 11:59 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Eagle and order of the Arrow...and my dad was the first silver beaver award for leadership in montana
Just getting back into it myself. Signing my kid up for boy scout camp today (before the price goes up). Got a summer job myself on the cub scout side of the camp with my two younger ones as the ranger. I was involved from about age 7-30, then took about 20 years off.

I carry two tubes and a patch kit and a pump.
Old 02-29-24, 12:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Yes, I patch a lot. I save my punctured tubes into a batch and patch them all once or twice a year. I like Rema patches best, but no-name patches that look similar are OK. I found out the hard way that Rema vulcanizing fluid is far better than anything else, so it's the only thing I use. I tried rubber cement, and it's not very good. I'm sure it's been years since I patched on the road, but I still carry a patch kit when I ride, on the off chance I get two flats. I normally carry one spare tube. In that patch kit is a little squeeze tube of vulcanizing fluid. At home, I patch with a can of the stuff, and the can has a brush built into the cap. I avoid opening the squeeze tube, because once it is open, the remaining liquid dries out after a few months.

Some people have succeeded in patching their tubes many times. For some reason, the most I've had on a tube is eight patches. After that, something goes wrong, such as a hole near the valve stem or a big rip in the tube. Still, that's pretty good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-02-24, 02:08 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclomath
On rides I carry the very thin, self-adhesive and transparent Topeak patches (for when I get the pleasure of having more than one puncture)
If you're going to carry one spare tube you might as well carry two, because one pothole can pinch-flat two tyres. I'll try the Topeak FlyPaper patches.
Old 03-02-24, 08:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
If you're going to carry one spare tube you might as well carry two, because one pothole can pinch-flat two tyres. I'll try the Topeak FlyPaper patches.
You might be riding with too-low pressure if that happens to you. I've been riding for a lifetime, and I've never pinch-flatted two tires at once, and when it did happen to one tire, I blame myself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-02-24, 11:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Pinch flats are a symptom, not a problem. Yea, the tire goes flat but if you have put the proper amount of air in the tire to prevent the tire from bottoming out on the rim, pinch flats aren’t a problem. Tubeless users make the mistake of saying that they can’t experience pinch flat, which is true. But if you run too low a pressure, the tire can still bottom out on the rim and, instead of pinching the tube, the rim gets bent. Now you’ve traded a 25¢ problem for a $200 problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-03-24, 02:38 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Pinch flats are a symptom, not a problem. Yea, the tire goes flat but if you have put the proper amount of air in the tire to prevent the tire from bottoming out on the rim, pinch flats aren’t a problem. Tubeless users make the mistake of saying that they can’t experience pinch flat, which is true. But if you run too low a pressure, the tire can still bottom out on the rim and, instead of pinching the tube, the rim gets bent. Now you’ve traded a 25¢ problem for a $200 problem.
I thought I’d done this recently and I don’t even run particularly low pressures. 80psi on a 25mm. Hit a pothole so hard the tyre was flat inside 30 metres. Couldn’t get it to stay inflated. Had to borrow a tube from my son to get home. Could see where the air was escaping and there was a small deformation in the rim. Once I’d got it home and redone the tyre from scratch it was fine though. Lucky.
Old 03-03-24, 03:32 AM
cyclomath

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I certainly could, especially knowing that my bicycle is rarely lighter than 20kg (~45lb) with both rack and handlebar bags full with spare parts, tools and clothes, so another tube would make little to no difference. However, there is the question of at what number of spare tubes to stop and, for me, the answer is one. While two punctures on one ride does happen, it happens very rarely and usually on tours when my bike weighs about gazillion kilos (~2.2 gazillion pounds). Also, if I happen to get two punctures, I am almost certainly pissed enough that sitting extra 15 minutes to patch a tube and calm down is not a bad thing.

My punctures almost exclusively come from thorns and sharp stones and stone chips, because I go from pavement to dirt with reckless abandon.
Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-03-24, 07:51 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I used to patch out on the road but now just carry two spares. I bought a box of Rema patches and a can of Rema cement and I'll just patch them in batches at home. It's lasted me many years already. Those tiny tubes in the patch kits always dry out once opened.
Likes For zacster:
Old 03-03-24, 12:04 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I quit carrying a patch kit and now just carry a single spare tube. I leave the patching till I get home. And yes, I have carried my bike over my shoulder quite a few miles when I failed to find the culprit in the tire that caused the first flat.
Old 03-03-24, 12:15 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You might be riding with too-low pressure if that happens to you. I've been riding for a lifetime, and I've never pinch-flatted two tires at once, and when it did happen to one tire, I blame myself.
I didn't say I'd done it, just that it could happen. TBH I don't recall using both spares in a single ride, other than giving them to less prepared clubmates. I have had a snakebite or two, probably from running too little air or mis-timing a kerb, so mea culpa.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-04-24, 01:39 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I usually patch and keep the spare tube in case I have another puncture that is not repairable with a patch. The exception is when I'm commuting to work. If I puncture when commuting, I replace the tube and patch it later at home to avoid arriving late.
Old 03-04-24, 12:29 PM
Timberwolf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I patch, but change the tube on the trail. Patch at home, reinstall the old tube and fold the new and stow for the next event.

If I e=get another puncture the same day, I haven't so far, I repair the old tube and then replace the punctured tube.;

It works for me but YMMV.
Likes For Timberwolf:
Old 03-04-24, 03:17 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Adding to this thread, I ride 3 different tire sizes regularly, swapping one bike for another. My wife rides another fourth size, and I am normally expected to provide service. When I still tried to carry a spare tube, it usually turned out to be the wrong size. For me, carrying tubes makes no sense. The pump and patch kit are always the same .
Likes For 2_i:
Old 03-07-24, 09:35 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Interesting read! I use whatever off-brand stick-em-on patches if it's a small hole while I'm out on a ride. I do carry a spare tube but if a patch gets me home then I still have the tube if something worse happens during the ride. The intention is to replace the tube when I get home - which I never do. Probably have tubes that have been on a patch for years and no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.