Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Choosing front derailleur + braze-on clamp?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Choosing front derailleur + braze-on clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 11:35 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
i don't think your derailleur would fit properly on my gravel bike braze on mount of my road bike are the boss looks really shallow.

Again, I do not deny you had many issues but I cannot find many bad reports; even on this forum there are several users of those mounts and yet, you seem to be the one with issues. It may be that people just get on with it and modify them to fit without saying anything.
I grabbed the first derailleur for a braze-on mount from the pile—it happened to be my favorite Suntour. I may have 15 different derailleurs for such a mount, and I do not think any would fit. Yes, I primarily use AliExpress purchases as parts or sources of ideas. As to the users/market presence, you will have difficulty finding an established vendor in the US selling merchandise of such quality - maybe Harbor Freight comes close, and people primarily buy there for trying out or occasional use. However, if there is no other choice in the market, you buy this, and I do not blame anybody that they do.

Originally Posted by Winfried
I've been using the old K clamp for years on a Brompton with no problem.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1974235466.html
I used that old one myself, and my derailleur's mounting point was towards the top of the mount. With the torque in operating the derailleur, the finger deformed over time into an arc. In my photo, you see it straightened out.
Old 03-06-24, 08:23 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I used that old one myself, and my derailleur's mounting point was towards the top of the mount. With the torque in operating the derailleur, the finger deformed over time into an arc. In my photo, you see it straightened out.
My two-speed Shimano Tiagra derailleur is also installed at the very end of the mount, ie. putting maximum torque on it. It's slightly deformed but works fine.
Old 03-06-24, 09:07 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I've been using the old K clamp for years on a Brompton with no problem.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1974235466.html
That's what I use, it's held up well. But it's thick on the drive side, so I was hoping the new styles offer better clearance and hold up well. But they looked inherently weaker, I have an eye for such things. While some have had success with them, there are failures which have not occurred on the old design. I eventually hope to tour on this bike, so robustness is important.

Ali... Good to know it's still available, but yikes, the price is even higher than when I bought from dealer. Not a surprise with inflation, but until now, everything I saw on Ali was way cheaper, though high shipping cost, but the shipping on this is small. I've never used Ali yet.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-06-24 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 09:58 AM
Winfried

The bad news is that the stupid bosses on the seat tube for a bottle cage make it impossible to install the Litepro B adapter at just the right height → the derailleur's fork is ~2mm too low. Looks like I'll have to order one of the alternatives, with the clamp at the bottom instead of the top so I can raise it.

The good news is that the Shimano Sora seems to work with that double compact. I'll just need to play with the low/high adjustement bolts so it's right above the smaller ring when at rest.

Old 03-09-24, 09:04 PM
Duragrouch

The bad news is that the stupid bosses on the seat tube for a bottle cage make it impossible to install the Litepro B adapter at just the right height → the derailleur's fork is ~2mm too low. Looks like I'll have to order one of the alternatives, with the clamp at the bottom instead of the top so I can raise it.

The good news is that the Shimano Sora seems to work with that double compact. I'll just need to play with the low/high adjustement bolts so it's right above the smaller ring when at rest.

Good info. A little too high is better than a little too low, on the FD. Perhaps you can clamp above the bottle cage boss, and it works ok. While the FD cage is best close to the top of the big ring, there's much greater clearance over the inner ring(s), so that should tell you something about possibilities. If mounting the FD that high causes the chain to drop outboard of the big ring when upshifting, you could also fit a circular chainguard outboard that prevents that, some cheaper doubles and triples have that.
Old 03-10-24, 10:41 AM
Winfried

Even with a heavily-packed Brompton bag, no wobble whatsovever.

Likes For Winfried:
Old 03-10-24, 02:50 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Even with a heavily-packed Brompton bag, no wobble whatsovever.

​​​​​​Glad you're pleased with it.
Old 03-10-24, 03:07 PM
Winfried

I'm relieved, as being unable to carry a bag off the steering tube would have been a showstopper for me. Alternatively, I read H&H's clamp is sturdier, if Litepro's cheaper clamps aren't up to the task.

For some reason, the bike's manufacturer found my suggestion uninteresting ("Just install a Klickfix Caddy on the stem" ).
Likes For Winfried:
Old 03-10-24, 08:44 PM
Duragrouch

What model bike is this? I've only seen bits and pieces in pics, and the downtube configuration I don't recognize. Thanks.
Old 03-11-24, 05:48 AM
Winfried

Small brand

Likes For Winfried:
Old 03-11-24, 07:36 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Beautiful bike. I wonder if there is a USA distributor?
Old 03-11-24, 09:31 AM
Winfried

Doesn't look like it.

Old 03-11-24, 09:47 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Small brand

I thought I recognized it from the French forum
Old 03-11-24, 09:46 PM
Duragrouch

Nice lines. Looks aluminum. I expect rear triangle swings under, offset to one side, to overlap the downtube. 1500 Euros, base model. What are those round things in the front triangle and on top of the rear?

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-11-24 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 06:58 AM
Winfried

Originally Posted by 2_i
The free returns normally mean we keep the money, and you are free to return the product. Read the hundreds of reviews on Trustpilot and elsewhere that give more details.
Turns out, as mentioned by AliE, I did get a full refund for the first/only item in the order, and a modest handling fee for the other items. Can't complain.

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Looks aluminum. I expect rear triangle swings under, offset to one side, to overlap the downtube. 1500 Euros, base model. What are those round things in the front triangle and on top of the rear?
Fully aluminum, hence the better performance compared to a Brompton — in addition to a 100% derailleur transmission and the bigger wheels. The (mechanical) disk brakes are nice too. Got one for €1,000 (+ rear rack, recommended © Jerry Pournelle). For touring, ie. the folded size isn't as much an issue, it's a worthy and cheaper alternative to the Birdy.

They're collapsible fenders.

Here's how it (un)folds:

Last edited by Winfried; 03-12-24 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 07:44 AM
Winfried

We're getting further from the thread's original topic but…being used to the totally silent Nexus 8 gear hub, I find the freewheel noisy.

There's no reference on the hub, and the cassette is a Shimano CS-HG41-7ac.

I know nothing about derailleur gear: Are there (more) silent freewheels, and can I just grab another hub (or preferably a fully-assembled 20" wheel), stick that cassette in there and resume riding?
Old 03-12-24, 11:03 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts

Typical Trustpilot reviews, https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.aliexpress.com, when not counting the 5* ones posted repeatedly by the same people.

They delivered an inverter for 220V, while the order was for the US 110V version, consistent with the delivery address. I cannot quote emails as it is against the BF posting rules. The wrong shipment was returned to them, but the return process is completely fake. You can read any random review involving a return to learn the details of what they do.
Old 03-12-24, 09:13 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Old 03-12-24, 09:44 PM
Duragrouch

We're getting further from the thread's original topic but…being used to the totally silent Nexus 8 gear hub, I find the freewheel noisy.

There's no reference on the hub, and the cassette is a Shimano CS-HG41-7ac.

I know nothing about derailleur gear: Are there (more) silent freewheels, and can I just grab another hub (or preferably a fully-assembled 20" wheel), stick that cassette in there and resume riding?
Most freewheels and freehubs are ratcheting, pawls (little levers) running over the teeth they lock into when pedaling forward, that's what you are hearing. If a Nexus 8 is quiet, either a) the pawls are deep enough inside that you don't hear them, or b) no pawls, instead rollers wedge against ramped surfaces (sort of like the opposite side of the teeth from pawl teeth), this is known as an overrunning clutch, many like the silence, but there is more possibility of slippage with the roller system. Freehubs are incredibly noisy on full carbon wheels with large carbon "spokes", the big spokes are hollow and magnify the noise.

My folder has just enough high gear that I can pedal down mild grades, saving wear on the freehub mechanism, but steep downs, I need to coast.
Old 03-13-24, 02:16 AM
Duragrouch

Ahooga: Just watched the video. Fenders, hilarious. I see a couple good innovations:
- Split downtube so rear tire swings between; However this could be problematic with a wider rear tire.
- Bracket on driveside chainstay to clip dismounted front tire to, which cuts the fold size significantly, without having to put a hinge in the main tube like Brompton. And, it also shields the drivetrain like on Brompton, that's huge.

Downside of the design: No eyelets for a rear rack, for good reason (so should not improvise using P-clamps): Having a rack with pannier weight would make the rear triangle constantly try to twist laterally at its pivot, and having flex and wear issues. On a Bike Friday, after swinging the rear triangle up (unfolding), the top of the seatstays are locked to the seat tube, and BFs handle touring loads no problem. My folder has no swinging rear triangle and may be even better, no pivot to loosen up, but it's a larger fold.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-13-24 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-13-24, 06:38 AM
Winfried

If a Nexus 8 is quiet, either a) the pawls are deep enough inside that you don't hear them, or b) no pawls, instead rollers wedge against ramped surfaces (sort of like the opposite side of the teeth from pawl teeth)
I have the latter (roller clutches). Totally silent, no issue so far. Hence my looking at possible alternative freehubs for that new bike.

I see a couple good innovations:
It comes with 35mm wide tires. Since there's 45mm between the downtubes, I might try 40mm for a more comfy ride.

Change bikes also have a bracket on the chainstay to stick the front wheel.

I don't use panniers, just a bag lengthway on the rack so possible lateral twisting of the triangle is not a concern for me.

I read 1) Shimano's freehubs are on the quiet side, and 2) noise can be cut down by filling it with Phil Wood Tenacious Oil..
Old 03-13-24, 10:42 PM
Duragrouch

I have the latter (roller clutches). Totally silent, no issue so far. Hence my looking at possible alternative freehubs for that new bike.

It comes with 35mm wide tires. Since there's 45mm between the downtubes, I might try 40mm for a more comfy ride.

Change bikes also have a bracket on the chainstay to stick the front wheel.

I don't use panniers, just a bag lengthway on the rack so possible lateral twisting of the triangle is not a concern for me.

I read 1) Shimano's freehubs are on the quiet side, and 2) noise can be cut down by filling it with Phil Wood Tenacious Oil..
I just posted on a different thread, asking about lubing a Shimano SG-700 hub:

There's one place in this city that is renowned for IGH service, they can fix them, but probably not if serious corrosion or surface galling. Aaron's Bike Repair, the following is from their website. Notably, they also say they no longer service Rohloff, as the company will no longer send them seals and other parts, so I can't say if the following applies to those:

In the pictures on our various IGH pages you can see how we lubricate hubs. The gear teeth and ball bearings get a load of CRC Sta-Lube Blue Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease (product code SL3125). The roller bearings, pawls and the rest of the parts get coated in Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. The grease on the bearings helps keep the oil inside. It also acts as a barrier to water intrusion by filling all the spaces. Do not use heavy grease on the rollers or the hub may slip. Cold climate users may want to use only oil or a lighter grease with a low operating temperature such as Buzzy's Slick Honey or Dumonde Tech Freehub Grease. We have had reports of success using Lucas Heavy Duty 80W-90 Gear Oil (It is good down to -36 degrees C). You may also use Rohloff Speedhub Oil or Shimano SG-700 Oil. Note that all 3 oils are for sealed hubs like the Alfine 11 and will leak faster out of lesser sealed hubs. Dumonde Tech also makes a suitable sealed hub oil.

Shimano Nexus/Alfine 8: Clicking in gears 5 and higher is normal. Cleaning and re-lubing sometimes makes this clicking louder. Nothing is wrong with the hub. There may also be slight gear change delays, but they will go away very soon.
Old 03-14-24, 04:42 AM
Winfried

Yes, and this bike has… a derailleur — which I don't intend to replace with a gear hub since the goal was to get a better performing alternative to the Brompton for touring :-p
Old 03-14-24, 06:24 AM
Duragrouch

Yes, and this bike has… a derailleur — which I don't intend to replace with a gear hub since the goal was to get a better performing alternative to the Brompton for touring :-p
OK, that's right, I had forgotten your original post. You're looking to do like I have, 50/34 2X derailleur gearing on a 20" folding bike. Yep, I've done it, love it. Used the old Litepro FD adaptor.

I still haven't seen what model bike you're doing this with.
Old 03-14-24, 07:04 AM
Winfried

For touring, I can live with a bigger fold than the Brompton. After hooking the front wheel to the bracket, the bike can be made smallest by removing the seatpost and attaching it horizontally between the frame and the front wheel.

~100km maiden ride scheduled on Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.