Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 02:56 PM
wlevey

Bikes: Bike 1 - Bianchi 928, Easton carbon stem, bar & seat post, Ultegra 11/23 cassette. Bike 2 - 03 Lemond Buenos Aries. FSA compact crank, Sella Italia FSK sadle and Ultegra 12/27 cassette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 55 and I have slowed down, but now that I am getting into a real "trainingprogram" I am feeling better than I have in twenty years!!

I take 1000 mg of vit C, 400 IU of vit E & a multi vit.

I got back into riding about three years ago. I now ride only on the road and I put in about 2000 to 2500 miles a year. I ride almost daily now.

Bill
Old 12-08-04, 05:26 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
1)Fuji Cambridge comfort bicycle.
2)No,no vitamins or supplements
3)I dont believe that I am slowing down, I feel fine.
4) I have been biking just amost all my life. I rode a single speed 24" fat tire bike with a bannana seat and butterfly handlebars in elementary school. Then in high school I rode a Raleigh 3-speed. Then when I was 18 I bought an Italia 10 speed rode bike that I rode till I got married, had children, working full timel bought a house, ect, and when I was in my 30s, I gave the bicylce away. Last year I began to ride again, started to ride my daughters 15 speed Wal-Mart special. Finally, last summer I invested in my Fuji, and now I ride to work everyday, and on my days off I ride as much as possible. I am addicted.
4) see above. to work, and urban bike trails on my day off.
5)see above.
6)see above

Old 12-08-04, 07:12 PM
abqhudson
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seven Axiom/Campy Centaur - 2001, bought it used.
Lots of supplements/vitamins.
Slowed way down.
Have been riding a lot for the past 2 years.
Long rides/short rec rides
Bike six days a week - weather permitting. 3000 miles/year
Biking is my primary physical activity
Age 66

Jim

Last edited by abqhudson; 12-08-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 10:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Road bikes: '99 Calfee Tetra, '03 Tallerico (custom lugged steel), '83 Centurion
MTB: '91 Fisher Supercaliber, '02 Rocky Mt hardtail
Tandem: '96 Co-Motion
No food supplements, but I go heavy on fruits, vegies & flax seed
Slowed down: heck yeah - longer to rebuild fitness after short layoffs
How long biking: as a kid til 15, picked it up again at 32 and have ridden continuously
Type of riding: solitary fitness & recreational rides. Have done several centuries and a few multi-day credit card tours. Mostly these days I go for pedaling time, not miles. Ditched the cycle computer at age 45
Annual Mileage: about 2500-ish since coming to Missouri. Maybe 4,000 when I lived in Santa Cruz, CA
Other activities: alpine & nordic skiing, some inline skating, a few hoops, ping-pong with the kids

And I am addicted to following the Grand Tours, give me more OLN coverage!
Old 12-09-04, 11:51 AM
Frankie Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 53; been riding since I was 6. I rode a lot on a balloon tire monster when I was 9-12, then got a 3-speed and finally a Schwinn Varsity when I was 20. I've been riding a Bianchi Pista (fixed gear track bike) for the last two years and I'll never go back.
I feel I've slowed maybe 25% from my peak. I commute 34 mi/day and it takes me an hour each way-some pretty good hills. I'll do a century ride once in awhile and in 2003 I rode from Fenway Park to my home in east-central Vermont (130 miles) in 10 hours.
I'm a kidney transplant recipient ('94) by the way and if you guys are having any side effects from blood pressure medicine, look into the literature on Ginko Biloba. I don't know if it helps my memory any, but that's not why I take it and it sure works for me.
I'd like to get a factory second Concept II rowing machine for the off-season. I like the motion and the fact that it uses so many muscle groups and, I hope, would build up my lungs, which have always been my weakest link.

Bike to work.
Work to eat.
Eat to live.
Live to bike.
Old 12-09-04, 09:19 PM
Holler1

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Trek 4500 hardtail mountain bike that I have had for about 4 years. Rode it in summers for a couple of years on mountain trails, and have been riding it mostly on rail trails with smaller tires this year. Just got a 2003 Specialized Allez Elite road bike (used) and have ridden it twice now, about 30 miles altogether. This is my first road bike and it's great so far, but weather is starting to get bad here.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No, have not done much of that other than vitamin C for awhile

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Slowed down some since late fifties, but lost some weight this year and seem to have more energy.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Biked as a kid in southern WV on dirt roads and no roads using old worn out bikes. I had one "english" bike but one of the pedals was loose and I could not find parts so had to ride it with one and a half. I have biked in the woods near my house off and on with my kids for 20 years or so, using a department store bike. Then my daughter got into mountain biking at college, and when she upgraded I got the Trek 4500. That was my first "good" bike and I never realized until then how much difference a good bike could make.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Right now I mostly ride the rail trails, but am looking forward to some road biking with a club next spring. I have done a couple of club rides. I was worried about keeping up but so far that hasn't been much of a problem.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
In summer and early fall I was doing about 40 miles on weekends and another 20 during the week, but with early dark and cold/wet weather am only doing 20 miles on weekends and about 15 to 30 on a trainer on weeknights. The trainer is a recliner bike but it has a magnetic resistance and seems to simulate the difficulty of riding fairly well. I haven't added up an annual mileage.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Some light weightlifting

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??[/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-04, 07:40 AM
moonkat

Bikes: 1984 Team Miyata, Motiv Ground Pounder Mt Bike circa 91, 02 Trek 4300 - son, 04 Marin - daughter, 05 Felt F2C for Dad ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 and soon to become 55...the older I get, the more I need to exercise and I'm really appreciating the biking now. Too bad the weather is turning cold.

1984 Team Miyate , full Dura Ace
upgraded to Ultegra Triple, 9 spd cassette, clipless pedals and shoes
1991 Motiv Ground Pounder Mtn Bike, Shimano Deore groupo.
Looking to treat myself to a new road bike .... something like a Felt F35 or F2C look good.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Yes, Motrin 3x800mg though Indomethicine as my gout acted up over txgiving.

Well, I've gotten slower but stronger - at least in my weight lifting !?
After 50 there is no "residual conditioning" ! You stop exercising, you start from square one (it seems) !

Off and on for 20 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Started out doing short tri's and intermediate road races in Hawaii in 80's and now enjoy rec rides of 25 - 40 miles .... the fat burning durations. Looking to keep up with "B-group" riders in county (they say 14-16 miles over 20 - 40 miles but forget to mention this includes hills).

Just got more serious this year but started late and have done 500m since Sept.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Aerobic machines, spinning and weight lifting - gym workouts to supplement biking. Around here you cannot bike outdoors all year round - Maryland.

Have fun !... from another WOG (weak old guy).
Old 12-10-04, 11:57 AM
PALux

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a 62 year old diabetic. The bicycling has taken me off and kept me off diabetic meds.
Main commute/tour bike is a Cannondale T2000 Touring, the bad weather bike is a Specialized FSR Enduro Comp, and the backup is a Specialized Crossroads. Still have the ’81 MotobeCane grand touring as a backup. How about a Quadracycle for riding around the neighborhood with the grandkids.

Maxivision Whole body macular degeneration regimen

I think I am only a little slower. The hills just get steeper and longer. I hope I can get a little better as I would like to do the STP (Seattle to Portland 212 miles) in one day. Last 3 years were done in 2 days.

I biked as a kid on old coaster brake bikes. In 1979 went to Germany for 2 years without a car and put 3,000+ miles on an old 3 speed, 16,000+ miles on a Peugeot 10 speed and 3,000+ on a MotobeCane grand touring. In 1999 I started bicycle commuting 10.4 miles daily. I have missed very few work days since.

I commute daily. I also ride as many local club rides as I can. I even lead club rides on weekends no regular ride is available. Club rides and those I lead average better than 60 miles. I am planning a 850 mile solo tour from Tacoma Wa and down the Oregon coast and return this summer.

I commute daily 10.4 miles round trip. During the spring and summer I ride as many club rides as I can. I average 4,500 plus miles a year. My goal this coming year is 5,000 plus.

I try to walk at least a mile at lunch weather permitting. I walk the dog a mile plus every day. The dog doesn’t care about weather.
Old 12-11-04, 05:56 AM
Newboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newboy
Aegis Victory (great bike)
No supplements (well the occasional pint of proper English beer)
50 years old
Do some time trialling but only as a measure, really ride for pleasure and to be outdoors.
Member of Houghton Cycling Club
I have only been road riding for a year used to do mountain biking, previously ran for a lot of years and have completed about 15 short course triathlons, but have definitely packed that in, been coming on the forums for a good while now and enjoy "the crack" (conversation).
Old 12-11-04, 10:01 PM
startle

Bikes: 76 schwinn tandem,old hard rock mt bike, old old centurium rd bike, 84 trek 640 touring bike, a new v-rex,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.51

I am truly amazed how many people are on here and all the wonderful bikes
76 schwinn tandam, that no one rides with me anymore, kids grown up and wife won't touch a bike
mid 80's centurian, nothing on it that doesn't have to be there
84 trek 620 touring and commuter
specialized hard rock with some nice stuff on it
one month old or so rans v-rex

multi and vit c

I'm starting to avoid going up the big hills in the presence of the young Lance wanna be's cause I'm short on brains and it hurts!

always biked, lots of years mt biking, quit smoking a year ago, took the savings and bought the v-rex, didn't know I was going to fall in love, this morning finished off turning it into my commuter,, lights etc.
hoping the newness will wear off soon, but it grieves me to think I may never touch my other bikes again,
well gotta move the sheep tomorrow so the mt bike gets a work out! the bent was my first new bike since 71, have bought a dozen or more yard sale bikes and fixed up and gave away.. when I quit smoking started commuting, about every other week I drive the truck somewhere, live rural like to go into town sunday morings for breakfest and do some shopping

think I'm done mt bike racing, but should go back,, rode2,500 miles this year on the blacktop and in so much better shape than I've ever been.
commute, club rides every other week, to the mailbox, to the barn, got a couple of dogs to help me herd the sheep I chase on by mt bike and the border collie chases me!
Oregon is the greatest!! here on the west side ride year round. grew up in the midwest and......
here you can check out my coast trip! but this is small stuff compared to Denise Goldberg, who I saw on the site.

https://letstourocean.crazyguyonabike.com

in two years planning a long tour, have toured the Or coast, and some smaller trips, nothing is more fun than touring.

physical jobs, two,

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
did I mention I'm fifty one?

Last edited by startle; 12-11-04 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-11-04, 11:45 PM
bikeboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<i>1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?</i>
Currently a Cannondale T2000 "touring" bike. I like the fenders on wet days.
Very occasionally, my old Peugeot "beater" mountain bike.

<i>2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?</i>
Maybe I should, but I don't. Holding together generally pretty well so far.

<i>3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?</i>
My average speed is down maybe 2-3 mph from peak. But not many whippersnappers pass me. (Let's see how they're doing when THEY'RE 50+!!)

<i>4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?</i>
Most of my life. From early 20s to about 30 slacked off. Was never "serious" about it before 30.

<i>5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.</i>
Bike-commute to work year-round. (8 mile round trip; haven't driven a car to work, even once, for 7+ years.) Try to get an exercise/pleasure ride in during the noon hour on most of those days. Occasional longer ride (25-40 miles usually) on weekends.

<i>6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?</i>
It's a rare day that I miss. Today (December 11), I've ridden 338 days in 2004. Closing in on 5800 - intend to hit 6000 miles for the year. (Average annual mileage is closer to 5000; on Sept. 30 I hit 100,000 miles since I started keeping track in 1985.)

I feel a strange mixture of contempt and pity (similar to how I feel about smokers) toward people who can't go anywhere unless it's in their motorized transportation. Glad I've found a different path in life.
Old 12-18-04, 09:52 AM
roscoe50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
over 50 on a fixed What gear do you ride?

I just started riding a fixed and have come to the conclusion that a 42x16 is working prettty good for these Nevada hills and makes downhills easier to spin. Anyone else using this?
Old 12-18-04, 10:04 AM
Trogon

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use 42x16 also.

Have 14 and 18 cogs sitting and waiting to be tried one of these days.
Old 12-18-04, 10:41 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I'm pretty much comfortable with 70 to 76 inches. I have 3 fixies covering that range.
Old 12-18-04, 11:44 PM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I use a 50 X 19 which I believe equates to a 71 inch gear. Fine for the rolling hills here in Piedmont NC. Most of the guys I ride fixed with are riding 42 X16 to 42 X18. They hate downhills, I hate uphills.
Old 12-19-04, 03:48 AM
cogdriven 

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Karate Monkey, Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 48/18 here in Vermont. I have a 20 tooth freewheel on the off side of my flip flop hub for long trips that involve mountain passes. Mostly I am commuting, 17 miles each way, and 48/18 gets me up some pretty steep hills. I try to avoid carrying a lot of baggage and, at 5'9"/155lbs, I have a good build for climbing.
Old 12-19-04, 10:38 AM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cogdriven
........... at 5'9"/155lbs, I have a good build for climbing.
At 6'/195, I have a good build for eating.

Old 12-19-04, 10:42 AM
michaelwlf3
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta
At 6'/195, I have a good build for eating.

Right on!
Old 12-22-04, 02:45 PM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I have an obscure-named bike (EPX) road configuration with Shimano 105 throughout (sorry Campy fans)
2. I take "GNC Mega Man" Multi. Sam-e, Glucosomine Condroital (spelling?) B-complex twice daily (I heard that advise from a sports medicine friend)
3. I am a casual/training rider most of the year. I generally do 3 - 4 organized events of 50 miles or more throughout the year for various charities
4. I began biking in 2001 when I did the NorthEast AIDS Ride from Bear Mt. Ny to Boston ma. 450 miles in three days. (The first time I had ever done anything like that)
6. When I can find the time I ride. Ideally I ride 45 minutes 3 days a week and a couple of hours on the weekend (Total about 3000 miles a year)
7. I love golf, though I am not good at the game. Tennis, hiking, photography (Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain )
Old 12-23-04, 10:03 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 53. A little over a year ago, I decided I had to start doing some kind of exercise, and researched what kind of exercise is recommended for someone with a bad back (degenerative discs). Swimming or recumbent stationary bikes were the recommendation, so I bought a stationary bike. Sure enough, it didn't hurt my back, but it was so BORING, I didn't spend as much time on it as I should have. Then, a few months ago, it occurred to me that I could probably ride a real recumbent bike too, and in September I bought one. Other than a few test rides, it was the first time in 40 years I had been on a bike.

A Tsunami T-1 SWB recumbent, and an EZ Tandem.

I just started taking glucosamine/chondroitin/msm today.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?</i>
Not a valid question for me. I've only been cycling for 3 months.

3 months. I had a bicycle newspaper route as a kid, but hadn't biked since then.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
A bike trail during the week, local roads with a club, or on my tandem with my wife on weekends. I plan to join some organized rides next year.

I try to get out at least 4 days a week. It looks like my mileage will be between 4000 and 5000 miles a year.

Other than the heavy work at my machine tool maintainence job, my only other exercise is the back and abs stretching and strengthening exercises I do for my cratered back. My other passion is tournament bass fishing, but I don't think that quite qualifies as a physical activity.
Old 12-24-04, 12:45 PM
Bikinguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,
Haven't been in the forum in a couple of years. I think a 50 plus forum is ok with me.
I just turned 58 and do about 7500 a year at a fairly good clip. I like to suck up on a wheel of a younger guy and ask "mind if an ole man hangs on your wheel a bit ? hehe then hammer him *S*
Old 12-27-04, 08:23 AM
8TEESGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Rivendell Road, De Rosa Super Prestige, Schwinn Homegrown Pro.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

I get stronger each year overall but do need to properly recover from hard efforts.

Been riding lots since 1983.

Depends - 20 to 60 miles per ride, 90% road.

When I'm not running I ride 5 days a week. I always top 5000 miles per year, a good year would be 6000.

I run. I'm getting ready for a marathon in March.
Old 01-04-05, 06:45 AM
zeffiro kt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Olmo Zeffiro KT road racing bike with campy record 10 speed
2) Fish oil tablets
3) I am faster than ever on 10 km TT, slowed down in Vätternrundan 300 km by 1 hour
4) since 1969 (with a pause 1986-1996
5) long rides plus race TT
6) annual mileage 5000 -7000 km
7) gym, yoga, nordic walking
8) 56 yrs
Old 01-05-05, 10:07 PM
suewaller

Bikes: KHS tandem, Giant hybrid single bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just joined the forum and completed (as requested) an introduction (Sue and Paul Waller, under Introductions thread). Co-incidentally, that introduction answers most of your questions! It looks as if this is an active and useful forum, and I would definitely support the 50+ thread.
Sue Waller
Old 01-05-05, 11:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here is a link to Sue Waller's introduction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.