Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from The Old Guy On a Bike

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 08:02 PM
johndevries
Old Guy On a Bike

Bikes: New: Motobecane Grand Record Old:Soma 10-Speed (30 years old)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a serious fitness/recreational road cyclist, rapidly approaching my 60th birthday. You can visit my blog at https://oldguyonabike.com. As the blog says, "adventures and advice of an over-the-hill cyclist.

I am working on getting ready for my first century, hopefully before my 60th birthday on March 20. I still have some weight to drop and a lot of training miles to ride, but it looks hopeful.

I would love to hear from other older riders, particularly those who came late to cycling.
Old 02-02-09, 08:04 PM
jmccollister1

Bikes: Specialized Globe / Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I am not an older rider (34), but I to am getting ready for my first century. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-02-09, 11:41 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums.

I'm 48 now. I rode my first century this last summer. I'll say this: If there aren't any major hills, it's more a matter of how long it will take you than whether or not you can do it. So yeah, get out there and train, but if you can get out in the evenings and ride 20 or 30 miles without being in pain, you're probably good for a 100, given enough time and fluids. Go for it.

You mention on your blog about being concerned about other riders. I rode in the Hotter'n'Hell 100, which had about 12,000 riders. The key is when everyone is bunched up, just don't get in a hurry. It's like being on a freeway, just leave lots of extra room around you and shouldn't be any big deal. If you think you're going to be slow, just start toward the rear. Once everyone gets spaced out a little, you can pick up speed and move around other riders as required.
Old 02-05-09, 04:29 PM
BremenCole
Old but New

Bikes: Magnum Ui6 eBike and Catrike Trail recumbent trike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55 here and really just getting started. Not new to fitness and exercise, but new to bikes. I bet you will do your 100, and then look for the next challenge!
Old 02-06-09, 02:02 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hi John and welcome to BikeForums.
I took up cycling again when I was 55. I'm now 64 and enjoying it as much as a kid. In fact I feel like a kid when I'm riding. Cycling keeps me young.

Windermere? I moved from Orlando (where I was born) to Atlanta in '92. Do you do much riding out toward Clermont and the hilly sections west of Orlando?

Stop by the 50+ Forum and say hello to the *old farts*.
And stop by the Southeast Regional subforum and say hello to the locals.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 02-06-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 10:51 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by johndevries
I am a serious fitness/recreational road cyclist, rapidly approaching my 60th birthday. You can visit my blog at https://oldguyonabike.com. As the blog says, "adventures and advice of an over-the-hill cyclist.

I am working on getting ready for my first century, hopefully before my 60th birthday on March 20. I still have some weight to drop and a lot of training miles to ride, but it looks hopeful.

I would love to hear from other older riders, particularly those who came late to cycling.
Well, you posted once, but did not follow up.

In any event, I started cycling 11 years ago when I was 58. There are lots of us on the 50+ Forum Drop by.