Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm Becoming a (Raleigh) Professional Rider

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 06:48 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

It's been exactly two weeks since I claimed to have my N+1 habit under control. Of course, I think as soon as I put it in writing everyone knew what that would mean. I saw an ad yesterday, and today this came home with me.

The chrome seems like it'll polish up very nicely. The paint has some scratches, but as you can see it's in great shape overall. The guy I bought it from seems to have actually been riding it -- all the bearings are smooth, the chain is clean, and the tires were low on air but not completely flat. I'm not a single speed guy, nor a mustache bar guy, so I won't be leaving the bike like this, but I'm actually thinking about swapping in a smaller chainring and riding it to work like this once or twice just for the experience.

Now's the part of my post where I ask the experts on this forum for information. I thought that since it's a Raleigh it would have a well-known serial number format that would tell me the year it was made. Alas, as @gugie advised me, the one thing you can count on with vintage Raleighs is that you can't count on anything.

This is not an unknown format, but the few mentions of it that I found were ambiguous. For example, the Sheldon Brown page on determining the age of a Raleigh says, "There are several documented cases of '73 and '74 Professionals, Internationals, Competitions and RRAs with "A" serial numbers. Let the color scheme, decals and components be your guide." OK, so I don't have the original components -- how do the color scheme and decals on this one guide me?

Also, I see a 'T' at the bottom of the downtube, an 'E' (or maybe 'F') on the NDS part of the bottom bracket, and an infinity symbol by the drive-side chainstay. Do those mean anything?
Old 09-04-23, 07:06 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Since you've gone fixie and won't be needing that RD hanger any more, are you going to hacksaw it off? (Kidding. I'm kidding. You know better and so do I.)

I am no expert, but this is pretty much what Raleigh Pro frames looked like when I first got into this hobby in 1973. That fastback seat stay style was around only for a limited number of years, if I recall correctly, so that should narrow it down. 1973 is definitely in that range. And while that color combo was iconic for some years, at least in the US, the number and placement of the stripes on the seat tube may have varied. My best advice - and it is worth exactly what you are paying for it - is to see if you can find catalogs on line to narrow down the date range.

That and wait for the real experts to chime in in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . .

Oh, nice score and nice frame. But you knew that, too.
Old 09-04-23, 07:15 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
It'll be interesting to see/hear what can be deciphered from the serial number and other markings.

In the meantime, it looks like a nice bike and the simple things like the seat stays and decal fonts say that it is early to mid 70's. If it was earlier, it would have the script "Raleigh" on the downtube (like my '71 International had), and if it was later, it would be a Mark V with the more conventional seat stay attachment at the seat lug.

I've spent too much of my youth staring at the Raleigh catalog to not be just a bit envious... but I've got other bikes that fill that same niche. I hope it brings you much joy!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-04-23, 07:24 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
Nice find! Peter Kohler’s article on the Raleigh Pro is required reading if you haven’t found it already:

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...p-raleigh.html

A = 1973, according to that ref.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-04-23, 07:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...the A serial number Raleigh Pro's have always been mysterious to me. I have one here, and for a long time I thought it to be from a different year than it turned out to be. I try not to worry about it, which works well for me .

Old 09-04-23, 07:44 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
As far as I can tell, it’s a late 1973 build for the 74 model year. 1974 began the W serial numbers Nobody should ever give absolutes when it comes to Raleigh but early 1973 frames still had fender eyelets and no CC cutouts on the bottom bracket shell. Eyelets seem to have disappeared from the Pro sometime in 73. 1973 serial numbers are most commonly “A” but there are also some “Hs”. CC cutouts were a new introduction for the 74 model year so I’m of the opinion that this is an autumn of 73 Pro intended for the new 74 catalog year.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some frames don’t perfectly fit with anything I think is right! Lol

I’ve got a 72 MK4 and a 78 MK5, both are excellent in my opinion. Congratulations on a wonderful find!

Last edited by Pcampeau; 09-04-23 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 09-04-23, 08:44 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
My '73 Pro stamped with A4720 and no bottom bracket shell cut-outs. And mine has eyelets.
Old 09-04-23, 09:10 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Congrats! The silver 74 Pro I recently got from Dylansbob is sn A9682. I assume mine is slightly yonger than yours, Andy. I found some info on these "A" serial numbers but ATM don't recal where I saw it.

**edit: nlerner already linked the s/n info that I was thinking of. So maybe your blue Pro is a late 73?**

Last edited by Insidious C.; 09-04-23 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-04-23, 11:12 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
"There are several documented cases of '73 and '74 Professionals, Internationals, Competitions and RRAs with "A" serial numbers. Let the color scheme, decals and components be your guide."
It's definitely one of those years. Or a '72. Or maybe a '75. Or possibly something else around that time.

Hope this helps. ​​​​​​​
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 09-05-23, 12:30 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Yay! Of course you bought it…

if the bars don’t work for you I know a guy that might be interested.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 09-05-23, 12:51 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Since you've gone fixie and won't be needing that RD hanger any more, are you going to hacksaw it off? (Kidding. I'm kidding. You know better and so do I.)
Hey now! It's got a freewheel.

Full disclosure, I have ridden a fixie before. I even tried a cyclocross race on a fixie (I don't recommend it). I'm much better now though.

And, of interest to this group, this particular single speed is using Campy Nuovo Record hubs and a Suntour Superbe Pro track crankset. Not your everyday hipster creation.
Old 09-05-23, 12:58 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
It's definitely one of those years. Or a '72. Or maybe a '75. Or possibly something else around that time.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, that kind of feels like the way the evidence is trending. I've got a Raleigh Competition which came with almost all original components that definitively matched the 1969 catalog Competition and only the 1969 catalog Competition. The serial number says it was built in 1967. So, I should have seen this coming.
Old 09-05-23, 01:00 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Yay! Of course you bought it…

if the bars don’t work for you I know a guy that might be interested.
There is a very good chance I won't use the bars long term. I tried similar bars (Soma Sparrow) once before and really tried to find a configuration that would make me happy. None did.
Old 09-05-23, 03:35 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Nice find. I have a feeling this may end up as a ten speed or at least try it that way at least once. I doesn’t take that long to build them up once you have the parts. As far as dating , I’m no expert but I have a few Raleigh’s and two of them get ridden frequently. One is a 1977 Competition GS and the other is a 1978 Raleigh Pro . They are easier to nail down date wise than the earlier bikes. You mentioned an infinity symbol stamped on your bike. On my 1977 Competition there is an infinity symbol stamped on the top of the BB shell . I asked on this forum and the CR list and got no response. Until now I never heard of it. Anyway congrats and enjoy the ride, mine rides very nicely.

My ‘78 Raleigh Pro came to me in a very “patina” state
Old 09-05-23, 07:33 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
As far as I can tell, it’s a late 1973 build for the 74 model year. 1974 began the W serial numbers Nobody should ever give absolutes when it comes to Raleigh but early 1973 frames still had fender eyelets and no CC cutouts on the bottom bracket shell. Eyelets seem to have disappeared from the Pro sometime in 73. 1973 serial numbers are most commonly “A” but there are also some “Hs”. CC cutouts were a new introduction for the 74 model year so I’m of the opinion that this is an autumn of 73 Pro intended for the new 74 catalog year.
!
This.
Peter Kohler's site gives an excellent overview of the changes that happened to the Pro around 1973-74. In addition to the CC cutout and fender eyelets, the curvature of the fork (and rake) and the indentation of chainstays for tire clearance are two other physical features to pay attention to. Your fork looks like the swoopy version with the longer rake that Peter documents in the section on Mark IV Professionals. There's a FB group dedicated to Raleigh Professional and team replica bikes and one of the British members had some insight to geometry changes that were going on around this time, but I'll be darned if I can find anything more than a week old on that platform.

I can't tell whether your frame has indented chainstays from your photos.

The serial numbers were in flux here, which led me to start this thread on 1973 SNs:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rs-please.html
I think the A SN's are more commonly reported than H SN's, but these were still boom times....

Also, this thread, which is referenced in my thread, starts with a frame that is perhaps only slightly newer than yours; it has an early W format SN, CC cutout, no eyelets but retains the fork with the large rake:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...anomalies.html

Old 09-05-23, 09:06 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
And to think Andy contacted me to try and talk him down.
Old 09-05-23, 11:23 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Schreck83
Peter Kohler's site gives an excellent overview of the changes that happened to the Pro around 1973-74. In addition to the CC cutout and fender eyelets, the curvature of the fork (and rake) and the indentation of chainstays for tire clearance are two other physical features to pay attention to. Your fork looks like the swoopy version with the longer rake that Peter documents in the section on Mark IV Professionals. There's a FB group dedicated to Raleigh Professional and team replica bikes and one of the British members had some insight to geometry changes that were going on around this time, but I'll be darned if I can find anything more than a week old on that platform.

I can't tell whether your frame has indented chainstays from your photos.
My chainstays are not indented, though I may further muddy the historical record by changing that.

I wonder if several of these features varied at overlapping intervals. So, for example, there may be Pros with the CC cutout and indented stays but not the extra fork rake, and so on. You seem to be suggesting a similar sort of overlap with the change in serial numbers in your thread.
Old 09-05-23, 12:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Old 09-05-23, 01:41 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I wonder if several of these features varied at overlapping intervals. So, for example, there may be Pros with the CC cutout and indented stays but not the extra fork rake, and so on. You seem to be suggesting a similar sort of overlap with the change in serial numbers in your thread.

this is absolutely the case. the idea that the models changed over with a bang on 1 January of a given year is pretty naive. Parts in stock were used up, subassemblies hung on the shop wall until used, etc.

These bikes were hand-made in the era before "precision" became a thing.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-05-23, 02:08 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by mpetry912
this is absolutely the case. the idea that the models changed over with a bang on 1 January of a given year is pretty naive. Parts in stock were used up, subassemblies hung on the shop wall until used, etc.
I hadn't even thought about this in terms of the production process. I was just imagining Raleigh did essentially random things, but now that you've said it it should have been obvious to me that the rear triangle and the fork, for instance, would have likely been made at different times. I've heard that small builders still to this day will build a bunch of rear triangles and have them ready as an improvement to process efficiency. Going back to Raleigh I wonder when the serial number got stamped? I know some manufacturers stamp the serial number on the frame and the fork, so I would guess that it might be the final step before paint.
Old 09-05-23, 02:40 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Ithe rear triangle and the fork, for instance, would have likely been made at different times. I've heard that small builders still to this day will build a bunch of rear triangles and have them ready as an improvement to process efficiency. Going back to Raleigh I wonder when the serial number got stamped? I know some manufacturers stamp the serial number on the frame and the fork, so I would guess that it might be the final step before paint.
Exactly ! this is why we cannot put 100% confidence into the date of manufacture except if the date is in the first two digits (or otherwise encoded) in the serial number.

As you say the stays or other components may have been built significantly earlier than the final assembly of the frame. And even in Campagnolo parts I do not believe that the variations in the components can be mapped to an exact date. They used up the pieces that were in the parts bin.

/markp
Old 09-05-23, 02:53 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
How long are those crank arms? Superbe Pro cranks were always so pretty.
Old 09-05-23, 03:03 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I'm pretty sure serial # correlates to the date the frame was "finished". 1973 seemed to be the year when volume exploded for Raleigh/Carlton at Worksop. I believe they blew through all 9999 H-coded serials pretty early on, and decided to roll over to 'A'. I suspect this experience led to the WX###### format that we see in 1974. Whether or not THAT stated on 1/1/74...
Old 09-05-23, 04:16 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I’m guessing you tried reverse psychology: “There’s no way you need an iconic British bike in your size!”
Old 09-05-23, 05:22 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I’m guessing you tried reverse psychology: “There’s no way you need an iconic British bike in your size!”
I tell myself that bikes with fastback stays will ride like the Trek 760 I briefly had (which didn't suit me). So far it has worked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.