Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need grippy pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need grippy pedals

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 10:21 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Need grippy pedals

Hi, after many years, I finally found sneakers that fit. But when I ride, my feet slide all over the place. I need good, old fashion pedals, no mechanical attachments. I am in my 70s, and those days are gone.

The Looks look good, but then they all look good to me. Any suggestions?

Thx.

These are the Look Geo City pedals I am considering:

Last edited by late; 02-11-24 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 10:31 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
These types is what I use. Those pins dig in very well, just make sure you're careful when wearing shorts, they also dig into your ankles nicely.

https://rockbrosbike.us/products/roc...mtb-bike-black
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 02-11-24, 11:40 AM
late

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX

These types is what I use. Those pins dig in very well, just make sure you're careful when wearing shorts, they also dig into your ankles nicely.

https://rockbrosbike.us/products/roc...mtb-bike-black
I don't think pins are a good idea, the sole of my new sneaks look like they would get ripped up.

I don't have much choice in shoes, I take an 8E and those are hard to find.
Old 02-11-24, 12:34 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I don't think pins are a good idea, the sole of my new sneaks look like they would get ripped up.

Pins are removable I have switched to that pedal because I have foot issues and they are wide enough to spread pressure out over more of my feet. I bought 3 different wide pedals to try and these are the ones I like best. I've rode these pedals with Crocs with no problem
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 02-11-24, 12:44 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts

if your sneakers have any tread then I don't think you risk ripping off your soles. Pins get lodged in between and give you large surface area for your big feet 😂.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 02-11-24, 01:05 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
I like XxHaimBondxX suggestion and I use another similar pedal from a different brand that has the serious screw studs on it. I also thought it would chew up my NIKE crosstrainer shoes but hasn't left a mark in the soles yet after 3K miles but can't guarantee yours would hold up so well. Shins can get pretty shredded if you're not careful though. Another option is something like this with the plastic studs that still give good grip but not as sharp and similar pedals are made by a few different mfrs. Shop around for best prices. Ride Pedal – Race Face Don't worry about the plastic bodies as these are very durable and usually less expensive than aluminum. What I don't like about the flat surface pedals like the LOOK's in the photo is that if you happen to get some slippery glop or mud on your soles, they're more likely to slip.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 02-11-24 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 01:35 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I wound up with a set of these from a used bike I purchased, and they are quickly becoming my favorite. They are large enough, nice and light weight, and grip in all but the worst muddy conditions. I don't want MTB peddles with aggressive pins unless my shoes are going to get very muddy and slick with mud. Pins have caused me much pain and some scars otherwise.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/vp-538-black-pedal
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-11-24, 02:10 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Hi, after many years, I finally found sneakers that fit. But when I ride, my feet slide all over the place. I need good, old fashion pedals, no mechanical attachments. I am in my 70s, and those days are gone.
I use Wellgo flat pedals on the bikes that don't have clipless pedals or vintage Lyotards. There are a few models with similar features, the main one being a smooth slightly concave platform. They are reasonably priced, but do tend to come with the bearings over-tightened and under-greased; fix that and they'll be smooth and long lasting.

Wellgo LU987U

Wellgo LU313

Wellgo B102
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-11-24, 02:30 PM
late

Originally Posted by RH Clark

I wound up with a set of these from a used bike I purchased, and they are quickly becoming my favorite. They are large enough, nice and light weight, and grip in all but the worst muddy conditions. I don't want MTB peddles with aggressive pins unless my shoes are going to get very muddy and slick with mud. Pins have caused me much pain and some scars otherwise.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/vp-538-black-pedal
I like the look of those, thanks.
Old 02-11-24, 03:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Please don't buy fakes and knockoffs. The company "rock bros" even ripped the name from Crank Brothers who makes some excellent pedals in the Stamp 1,3,7 and 11, which they knocked off as well. but for your needs I would suggest the Look Pedals you had initially listed late
They are Vibram rubber so they do have good grip without actual pins.

I really love my Stamp 7s but they are certainly an aggressive pin but so far my shoes have been fine on top of them but they can eat up the back of your legs if not careful.
Old 02-11-24, 04:29 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
MKS Grip King
Likes For Rick:
Old 02-11-24, 05:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Another option is something like this with the plastic studs that still give good grip but not as sharp and similar pedals are made by a few different mfrs. Shop around for best prices. Ride Pedal – Race Face Don't worry about the plastic bodies as these are very durable and usually less expensive than aluminum.
I second the recommendation on the Race Face Ride pedals. The plastic nubs work surprisingly well, especially when aligned with the groovers in sneaker soles.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-11-24, 07:46 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I use this combination. It is very easy in and out and they keep my feet in the right position.
https://www.amazon.com/MKS-YD-973-GR...16&sr=8-1&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Mounta...%2C130&sr=8-44
Old 02-12-24, 12:21 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Just received an email for these on sale. DMR V6 Pedals 9/16 Plastic Platform Red (coloradocyclist.com)
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-12-24, 01:02 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Just received an email for these on sale. DMR V6 Pedals 9/16 Plastic Platform Red (coloradocyclist.com)
I have their magnesium V12 model. They have been great pedals. I've had them around 12 years.

Velo Orange has some nice ones, and they have reduced the price. They have black and silver. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...nt=50649149319

Likes For phughes:
Old 02-12-24, 05:30 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
At the Bike Exchange we don't use pedals that don't have reflectors. They are always in motion and are a good safety feature. We also install front and rear and wheel reflectors. We used to regularly get buckets full of donated reflectors from a local high end bike shop that never put them on the bikes they sold. Considering how many people are killed around here in bicycle vs car accidents I personally think riding without them is foolish.

I personally switched from Clips and straps to flat pedals a couple years ago after I broke my hip when I couldn't get my foot off the pedal and fell over . Now I only use wide flat pedals like the Wellgo's and love them.
Old 02-12-24, 06:08 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Velo Orange has some nice ones, and they have reduced the price. They have black and silver. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...nt=50649149319
Based on list recommendations, such as here, I got those Sabot pedals and found them awful, slippery, corroding, not accepting reflectors, etc. There was nothing good I could tell about them. Technically, they seem like some prototype. The pedals that seemed to me like an arrival to a paradise were Shimano Saint pedals in the flat version that accepts reflectors. They are expensive, but their price is well justified - after several years, they still look and function like they are straight out of the box. In combination with them being expensive, their downside is that any family member who tried them wanted a pair, too.
Old 02-12-24, 06:12 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Based on list recommendations, such as here, I got those Sabot pedals and found them awful, slippery, corroding, not accepting reflectors, etc. There was nothing good I could tell about them. Technically, they seem like some prototype. The pedals that seemed to me like an arrival to a paradise were Shimano Saint pedals in the flat version that accepts reflectors. They are expensive, but their price is well justified - after several years, they still look and function like they are straight out of the box. In combination with them being expensive, their downside is that any family member who tried them wanted a pair, too.
I don't use them, but I do know others who do. They do come with the rounded pins, but they are made so you can replace them with more agressive pins, like the DMR pedals have. As for reflectors, I never really gave that much thought. I run lights so I put my faith in them instead of reflectors.
Old 02-12-24, 06:20 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by flanso
I use this combination. It is very easy in and out and they keep my feet in the right position.
https://www.amazon.com/MKS-YD-973-GR...16&sr=8-1&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Mounta...%2C130&sr=8-44
I have a pair of the GR-9. Good pedals. The half clips are a good idea. I use toe clips and straps, but keep them loose.
I understand the OP isn't looking for the straps.
Old 02-12-24, 07:59 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
...my feet slide all over the place...
I know the feeling. I should be using flat pedals but just dont feel comfortable with my feet in multiple places. The Half Toe Clip got me almost there but still felt uncomfortable. I have finally given up and gone to regular Rat Traps set up very, very loose.

To tell ya the truth I cant remember the last time I strapped them down but they still remain...
Old 02-13-24, 12:06 PM
late

My bike shop has ordered the Race Face pedals. So we will see how that goes.

Thanks for the help, if these don't work out; I have a number of of possibilities to try if I have to order something else.
Likes For late:
Old 02-13-24, 03:48 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I have several pairs of Raceface Ride pedals...I like them a lot.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 02-14-24, 10:04 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I know the feeling. I should be using flat pedals but just dont feel comfortable with my feet in multiple places. The Half Toe Clip got me almost there but still felt uncomfortable. I have finally given up and gone to regular Rat Traps set up very, very loose.

To tell ya the truth I cant remember the last time I strapped them down but they still remain...
I used to feel insecure on a bike if I wasn't strapped in; my first mountain bike had the same rat traps as my road bikes. But I got used to flat pedals, and MTB-specific soft soled shoes just mesh with the grip pins wherever you place your feet. I do struggle sometimes with treaded boots, if I don't get it right first time it can be annoying trying to get my feet in just the right place.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-14-24, 10:19 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Just a quick search including our ChiCom suppliers...

VeloOrange 54 USD

AliExpress 22 USD
Old 02-14-24, 11:44 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Wouldn’t get me in those in a million years. Don’t fancy clipless? Seems so much safer to me.
Likes For choddo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.