Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 04:06 PM
Onuts
Highway Litter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello

New member in West Texas. Picked up a "Next" (Wal-Mart) cheapo about a week ago. Just going back to work on losing some pounds. I have not ridden in about 5 years...even then it was only recreational. I've started with a couple of simple 2 mile rides. Wow! Leg burn!
Old 02-04-09, 06:01 PM
BremenCole
Old but New

Bikes: Magnum Ui6 eBike and Catrike Trail recumbent trike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Onuts! I bought a bike at a pawn shop a few years ago. It was cheap and heavy but served me for a while. I grew tired of it rather quickly though. If you enjoy riding a recommend upgrading at some point.... there REALLY is a difference on a good quality bike. That being said, it is also a waste of money to spend $500+ on a bike, when you don't know if you enjoy it......

Anyway, I'm new here too.... and from about 30 miles outside of Fort Worth.... so welcome! The leg burn does go away, and will be replaced with muscle
Old 02-04-09, 06:32 PM
Onuts
Highway Litter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez! I have never ridden anything but a department store bike! I didn't know there was anything else until maybe 6 or 8 years ago! But I kinda get that sticker shock from some of those that I've seen. Right now I wouldn't know what is or is not worth the money. I watched craigslist for a while. My son had a Trek and really bragged on it. But right now, this will do me. I'm here to learn. I had a look at some of the pictures of the commuter bike pics and I'm headed back there. I saw a lot of neat mods and interesting creations. When I was a kid I rode everywhere and thought nothng of it...get a driver license and it was all down hill!
Old 02-04-09, 09:48 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You will be able to have plenty of fun on the Next while you make up your mind on the type of bike you want to move up to. Most of the problems with Wmart bikes is bad adjustment, so get a few tools (hex keys, and spoke wrench) and adjust as shown here https://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
Leg burning may be due to the seat too low - with your leg completely straight your heel should reach the pedal. This will then give the right knee bend when you pedal with your toes. This will only let you reach the ground with your tippy toes, or by leaning the bike over when you stop, but makes the riding a lot easier. Good luck.
Old 02-04-09, 11:41 PM
Onuts
Highway Litter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the link Andrew! Once I got it home and into the shop I went over every nut and bolt just to make sure it was tight. I had to make a couple adjustments to the brakes as they were dragging just pushing it around; and the hand controls were off. I already changed the sorry seat. Bar adjustments are coming next. Luckily I had a gel seat off my last bike. One concern that I have is that I read today (somewhere) that Wmart has a bad rep for not greasing bearings - just tosses it together. I'll be having a look at that this weekend; and your link will be helpful! I have fixed plenty of flats over the years...not much experience otherwise; but quite mechanically inclined.
Old 02-05-09, 10:52 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To check the bearings you will need cone wrenches to deal with the locknuts. It will also probably be worth tightening the spokes a turn or two as they bed down.
Old 02-09-09, 07:45 PM
Onuts
Highway Litter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the cone wrenches are thin and fit the bearing cones? Capt Obvious, huh! Yes, do need some of those. I went out to ride this evening and had a flat on the front. Since I had to take it apart anyway - I went the extra step and looked in the hub. Well, there was grease...not a heck of a lot. I was surprised to find ball bearings instead of caged bearings. They have a healthy dose of grease now. That's enough sign to tell me I need to pull the rest of it down in the near future and "re" grease everything.