Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Old man gets a cutter

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old man gets a cutter

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 09:25 PM
BremenCole
Old but New

Bikes: Magnum Ui6 eBike and Catrike Trail recumbent trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old man gets a cutter

55 (56 next month) years old. Road mike rider..... Love my Orbea, and will ride road bikes until the end. But, I became fascinated with single speed bikes. Did not want to spend a lot of money. Just for grins started calling local shops to see if any had the Schwinn Cutter. On about call number six I hit the jackpot. They had a medium cutter in stock and were trying to get rid of it for $200! I drove the 50 miles and got it.

I know it is a cheap bike. I know its not all that cool. I know....I know..... but..... I LOVE IT!

I blasted through 20 miles this morning before the 100 degree Texas heat (it was only 85) and had a blast. I turned the bars down, adjust the seat a bit, jacked with the chain tension and it is awesome. I do a lot of rides just in town, and I think most of those will be on the cutter. I think 25 miles or less the road bike stays home. Did it mention the cutter was FUN?

I mean like I forgot to eat breakfast kind of fun. I mean like I wanted to keep riding all day but it was hot and I am old....... It whips around like a laser, quick and sharp...... anyway, just had to share.
Old 07-02-09, 09:48 PM
bicycleptic
epilepsy advocate

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale touring bike, Cannondale Black Lightning and a Cannondale Capo.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds cool. I looked at the catalog page of the cutter when it first came out. I personally would not buy one. However, the thought crossed my mind that it would make a good bike for one who wasn't even sure they wanted a ss or fixed gear in the first place and just wanted to try it. It is probably the cheapest way to start without having to dig through piles of used parts to build one.

I know some of you will say that makes one sound like a poser but I love all aspects of cycling and try new things once in a while. I love both of my road bikes. I love my mountain bike blazing down a single track. I love my fixed gear whether it is a five mile commute or a 62 mile distance ride where all the road riders think you have lost your mind. I accidentally found a nice used unicycle at a garage sale this last spring and bought it for $30 to try it out. I can make it down my long driveway and back but probably wont ever try to go to the store on it.

So I say for $200 the Cutter is a good starter fixed gear and if you continue to love it then someday I bet you buy a nicer one. I am willing to bet the first road bike you owned was a lot cheaper then an Orbea.
Old 07-02-09, 09:55 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Although the ss/fx trend is thought to be largely of 'hipster' culture, rock on w/your Cutter. I built a conversion about a year ago and it's one of my stable of commuters. 46x16 singlespeed, Rocket Ring chainring, Acera,freewheel, Fuji Del-Rey frameset, Sugino 103mm bb, Tektro calipers and levers. Had it sandblasted and powdercoated. Sparkle black and the painter saved the chrome fork tips. I've got pics, but don't know how to upload them yet. Have stock drop bars w/what's called
'harlequin wrap' black/white handlebar tape.

I had that same sensation when I first finished mine...like a kid. I'm 57, so you're not alone. Got my eye on a Motobecane Messenger from Bikesdirect.com for my fixie. I've rebuilt several oldbikes and have decided I'd rather ride than tweak, so I'm only getting new bikes from now on. Have fun w/your new ride...there's nothing like a new bike to clear the cobwebs and lift the soul.
Old 07-02-09, 10:30 PM
chao1350

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your new single speed, buddy. I am extremely glad to hear that you're enjoying it so much. And hey, 200 dollars for a cutter isn't bad at all!

I agree with everything above.
A bike is a bike. Ride and enjoy it.

Rock on
Old 07-02-09, 10:33 PM
BremenCole
Old but New

Bikes: Magnum Ui6 eBike and Catrike Trail recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I am sure a few years from now I will "upgrade" to a "better" single speed. But I will not have any more fun than I am having right now. Cutter components are crap? Of course that are, and theY work. They are not cool with a group of snobs, but they work if you ride.

The best bike is the one you ride. Makes no difference how much you spend, just ride. No issue if the bike is flat black, 24 speed, 20 speed or single gear. The only point is "am I having fun". Am I riding this bike? Plenty of $3000 bikes gathering dust. A better value is a $300 bike you ride. Does my Cutter "suck" when compared point for point on paper with a bike that cost 5 times as much? Yes. But I paid $200 (as much as 2 tire changes on my Orbea, to my Conti's) for the bike. Big smile on my face...... hope you have one too....
Old 07-02-09, 10:55 PM
bicycleptic
epilepsy advocate

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale touring bike, Cannondale Black Lightning and a Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually the more I thought about it that seems like a heck of a deal. If I found a Cutter for $200 I would quite possibly buy it just to commute with. My Cannondale Capo counting the new bars and tires and seat and pedals I bought for it has over $1,000 invested into it. I don't even like locking it down and walking away from it. I wouldn't mind near as much with the Cutter. Plus I bet scratches and scuffs on that Cutter from daily commuting could be fixed with a can of flat black from wally world.
Old 07-02-09, 10:59 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i like the cutter. it's just the right balance between ultralight track bike and hefty clunkaround beach cruiser.
Old 07-02-09, 11:04 PM
oldfixguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BremenCole,

Hey, congratulations on you fixed. Be prepared for subtle changes in your attitude. Changes like realizing you don't "need" gears, that complication sucks, that performing bicycle maintenance indeed should be the exception not the rule and that you never want to ride a deraileured bike again. Once that settles in all the reasons in the world you thought you needed that 5k Eddy Mercx evaporate and all that is left is the love of making circles.
Old 07-03-09, 01:17 AM
Cy Trivialities
shtface

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the only really bad thing about the cutter is that the stock wheelset doesnt have a flip flop hub. so its singlespeed all the way. but i guess even that ain't that bad.
Old 07-03-09, 08:02 AM
jollysnowman
my hubs are dirty

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2 (sold!), Bridgestone MB-5, Schwinn Le Tour, Handsome XOXO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Cutter's a good deal. For $200-300, you can either get a bike on Craigslist and repair/convert it, or you can have a new bike. Yeah, it's probably regular 1020 steel, but so are a lot of the old Schwinns people love.

Originally Posted by oldfixguy
all that is left is the love of making circles.
For some reason, I have an image of an older guy riding backwards in a circle with no hands. LOL.
Old 07-03-09, 08:10 AM
tall&lanky

Bikes: IRO mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everybody hates on cutters, but my buddy picked one up for a similar deal (I think his was $250). He rides road bikes mostly, but rides his cutter completely stock with a suicide hub (he doesn't skid) and is faster on it than 90% of people on 'nice' track bikes.
Old 07-03-09, 08:33 AM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah! Have fun on your new bike. Glad to see more old guys joining in on the SS/FG fun. Perspective changes somewhat when you get to be our age.
Old 07-03-09, 08:33 AM
jollysnowman
my hubs are dirty

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2 (sold!), Bridgestone MB-5, Schwinn Le Tour, Handsome XOXO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the new Schwinns is that the standover height is huuuuge for the small sizes. The smallest Cutter has a 31.5" standover with a 52cm seattube!!!
Old 07-03-09, 09:33 AM
oldfixguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
***For some reason, I have an image of an older guy riding backwards in a circle with no hands. LOL. ***

So, you've seen me going to work then.
Old 07-03-09, 10:47 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
read reviews on schwinns site, like DFARBS:

"I went the Specified Bike Shop for buy Madison bike, Somehow Cutter caught my eyes off the madison. I gave a try to ride this bike. I love it and stolen a deal low price [$]for Cutter Bike is "bare-bone" from the madison! Save my budget $$!! I am glad I did bought the cutter, its an AWESOME looking bike instead of Madison bike... NO REGRETS!Now I using this track bike a lots for best commuter and low maintance than road bike. I had ended up to upgrade:My Cutter - Steel track bike. Size Large..48tx18t..TruVativ ELITA Isis Crankset TRACK, Origin 8 handlerbar, Generic BMX Seatpost, & Bianchi Quill Stem replaced on all original stock parts.Only thing stock on the bike are: Track Frame, Fork, Headset, Saddle, Rims & Tires..The cutter is my daily Track rider! )
Images shared by: DFARBES"
Old 07-03-09, 03:32 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if Schwinn decided on the name 'Cutter' to make a vague connection to the movie 'Breaking Away'. The locals in the movie were referred to derisively as 'cutters'. IMHO the best bicycle movie ever made...except Joeybike videos from the Commuting sub-forum.

Nah, probably to invoke the idea of 'cutting' through traffic or something...I think maybe I need to find a hobby. This layoff is making me a little OCD. I'm gonna go cut the lawn...again.
Old 07-03-09, 03:46 PM
ern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pretty sure they named it for the movie. cutter is actually the bike they used in this years little 500 race that was featured in breaking away. the team named the cutters actually won too.
Old 07-03-09, 11:05 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Cutter or the SE Draft, but as long as you're having a good time, that's what matters.
Old 07-03-09, 11:21 PM
y2jv3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chao1350
Congratulations on your new single speed, buddy. I am extremely glad to hear that you're enjoying it so much. And hey, 200 dollars for a cutter isn't bad at all!

I agree with everything above.
A bike is a bike. Ride and enjoy it.

Rock on
best thing ive heard in a while....totally