Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's the end

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It's the end

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 02:14 AM
graytotoro
kamikaze college commuter

Bikes: Free spirit FS21 (dead) + Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the end

...of my bike for now. Apparently, over the Thanksgiving holiday, somebody had a bit of "wheel trouble" and was desperate enough that they unbolted my front wheel and ran off with it, even if it was bent and the tire was half-dead. The individual was so kind as to just toss my locked frame onto the side and scatter the hardware about the ground. So I'm back to square one now - no bike. The question now, is what do I do?

I did some quick math and if I buy a new wheel, I'll have to scrape up at least $50.
2 Tubes @ 4.99 = 9.98
1 (used) wheel = at least 10
2 new tires @ 17.99 = 35.98

=$55.96 without tax and labor, not to mention any loose pieces missing - I have what appears to be everything except this "ring" resembling the one that you see on a key chain - a non-connected metal loop.

At this point, I'm kinda split over what to do. Remember that this bike was a freebie Free Spirit bike that wasn't the best to begin with. Is it more economical to just buy another used bike or should I keep this thing on the road?

The frame, while beat to hell is still straight, the brakes work, and the gears work, if reluctantly. The steering, however, is off; something in the headset is loose and the remaining tire is so worn small chunks have fallen out.

So, in your opinion, what would you do?
Old 12-03-09, 03:44 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
What would I do? I'd buy a new Cervelo for $5K of course. Actually, dealers have them coming out of their aholes, so more like $4K or less.
Old 12-03-09, 03:59 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd check my local Craigslist for a new beater. Hang onto the old one for parts or make art out of it.
Old 12-03-09, 04:38 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Give up cycling.
Old 12-03-09, 05:27 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
that free spirit makes a great boat anchor
Old 12-03-09, 05:34 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear of your loss due to theft. That sucks. You know, I have recently seen twenty-something guys walking around carrying wheels and I always wonder, “did that dude steal that wheel?” because it is just odd to see a guy walking down the street with a bicycle wheel in his hand. It is almost always the front wheel for some reason.

It looks like wheel theft is back after nearly two decades of dis-interest by thieves.

The guy had to be hard up to steal a Free Spirit wheel. Aren’t those chrome steel rims? More likely than not, the guy was stealing it to bring to the metal recycling center.

If I am thinking of the same “Free Spirit”, it is an old Sears bicycle. Those were the garden-variety gas-pipe ten speeds. No big loss from a financial standpoint. You should be able to replace the whole bike at a thrift store or yard sale for about $25.00. Don’t put $55.00 into a new wheel. That doesn’t make any sense. Go get a bike at a thrift store to either part-out for spares, or to replace your old bike completely.
Old 12-03-09, 07:11 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Where do you live? Stop by the house if your near Cleveland and Ill give you a bike to help get you back on the road.
Old 12-03-09, 07:27 AM
cyclefreaksix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Where do you live? Stop by the house if your near Cleveland and Ill give you a bike to help get you back on the road.

Somebody stole my car??...

But seriously, extremely nice gesture. I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks towards shipping if pick up is not possible. Perhaps others would be so kind as to give a few bucks and help cover shipping in total??

It'd be like the ChriKwanzHannaDan BF miracle.
Old 12-03-09, 07:34 AM
BremenCole
Old but New

Bikes: Magnum Ui6 eBike and Catrike Trail recumbent trike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix
Somebody stole my car??...

But seriously, extremely nice gesture. I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks towards shipping if pick up is not possible. Perhaps others would be so kind as to give a few bucks and help cover shipping in total??

It'd be like the ChriKwanzHannaDan BF miracle.
If the deal goes through.....I'll add $5 to help the shipping, just post a Pay Pal address....
Old 12-03-09, 07:34 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

Pcad's sage advice aside, I think you can pick up a (probably better anyway) used bike from C-list or even a decent LBS for around $100. My dad bought a used Specialized Rockhopper MTB from a bike shop for $100 in Madison, WI--in excellent condition.
Old 12-03-09, 08:26 AM
garysol1 

What it would cost to ship a bike from anywhere to anywhere would
cost more than a C-list beater.
Old 12-03-09, 08:56 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to clarify, Gary, my "probably better anyway" comment referenced his current bike, not one of yours, obviously.
Old 12-03-09, 09:08 AM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by Daytrip
Just to clarify, Gary, my "probably better anyway" comment referenced his current bike, not one of yours, obviously.
Not taken the wrong way at all......
Old 12-03-09, 09:08 AM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not trying to be picky, but if its just the front wheel stolen you only need 1 new tire and 1 new tube, so knock $20 off your estimated cost. A used wheel might even have serviceable tire and tube.
Old 12-03-09, 10:16 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe go buy you a brand new bike from Walmart. They have those highly praised Denali's that you can pick up for next to nothing.
Old 12-03-09, 02:08 PM
graytotoro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
What would I do? I'd buy a new Cervelo for $5K of course. Actually, dealers have them coming out of their aholes, so more like $4K or less.
*****, that's about half a quarter's tuition! You guys may roll in money, but I'm not! I'll buy one when I go through my midlife crisis. haha

Originally Posted by Metzinger
I'd check my local Craigslist for a new beater. Hang onto the old one for parts or make art out of it.
haha, yeah, I was thinking of that.

Originally Posted by Rowan
Give up cycling.
No. (inserts inspirational monologue)

Originally Posted by mike
Sorry to hear of your loss due to theft. That sucks. You know, I have recently seen twenty-something guys walking around carrying wheels and I always wonder, “did that dude steal that wheel?” because it is just odd to see a guy walking down the street with a bicycle wheel in his hand. It is almost always the front wheel for some reason.

It looks like wheel theft is back after nearly two decades of dis-interest by thieves.

The guy had to be hard up to steal a Free Spirit wheel. Aren’t those chrome steel rims? More likely than not, the guy was stealing it to bring to the metal recycling center.

If I am thinking of the same “Free Spirit”, it is an old Sears bicycle. Those were the garden-variety gas-pipe ten speeds. No big loss from a financial standpoint. You should be able to replace the whole bike at a thrift store or yard sale for about $25.00. Don’t put $55.00 into a new wheel. That doesn’t make any sense. Go get a bike at a thrift store to either part-out for spares, or to replace your old bike completely.
Yep. Those wheels/bikes are nothing special; the school bike shop (yes, we have one) said there was no hope banging out the dent. But it's not $50 in one wheel, but $50 for both, because I figured, hey, might as well fix the other tire before something bad happens.
Thank you for your offer, but I live somewhere out by Sacramento, so sorry. But I think I'll survive - I've been looking at nicer bikes lately and there's a whole bunch in the SF bay area/Sacramento area just waiting to be found!

As for your reply, Steve, that would be the best case scenario. I'll keep up hope though.

thanks for all your advice!
Old 12-08-09, 02:22 AM
graytotoro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news!

I managed to get it back on the road with a combo of new/used parts for about $20!