Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bike to get: 2017 S-Works Tarmac Dura-Ace or new SL7 Comp - Shimano 105 Di2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which bike to get: 2017 S-Works Tarmac Dura-Ace or new SL7 Comp - Shimano 105 Di2

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 10:19 AM
OKSFNY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Please provide your thoughts and opinions.

I have a choice between a used 2017 S-Works, Dura-Ace, rim brake, carbon wheels for $2500 and a new Tarmac SL7 Comp - Shimano 105 Di2 for $4500.

This is my first post so I could not paste links to the Specialized website pages of these bikes.

Thank you.
Old 08-05-23, 11:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked 5,107 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by OKSFNY
Hello,

I have a choice between a used 2017 S-Works, Dura-Ace, rim brake, carbon wheels for $2500 and a new Tarmac SL7 Comp - Shimano 105 Di2 for $4500.

This is my first post so I could not paste links to the Specialized website pages of these bikes.

Thank you.
I would get the new SL7. 105 Di2 should be great and you can easily upgrade the wheels down the line. Rim-braked bikes with limited tyre clearance are a dead end at this point unless you really insist on remaining old-school. Nothing wrong with that, but you will be cut off from the future. Just be aware of that fact.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-05-23, 01:02 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would get the new SL7. 105 Di2 should be great and you can easily upgrade the wheels down the line. Rim-braked bikes with limited tyre clearance are a dead end at this point unless you really insist on remaining old-school. Nothing wrong with that, but you will be cut off from the future. Just be aware of that fact.
2017 dura ace is qualitatively superior to 105Di2. There are still a lot of 700*23 and 700*25 tyres available and it will be in the future. Interesting about how you can make such firm predictions. And not everyone is into disc brakes as well riding 700*28 tyres or even into eshifting. There are also some dual pivot caliper brakes made by TRP who can accept 700*28 tyres with out problems, TRP RG957 Caliper Set
Old 08-05-23, 02:56 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Get the new one: Modern 105 is superb and rim brakes should be confined to history.
Old 08-05-23, 04:07 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 284 Posts
This isn't even close, even if the Tarmac was reduced down to $2,500. The S-Works is one level up (at least) frame and groupset. The whole package will be at least 2 or more pounds lighter than the Tarmac, a huge performance difference.

Di2 is nice, I enjoy Dura-Ace Di2 on my roadie, but at the Dura-Ace level, mechanical shifting is also excellent. Of course discs will be better in wet weather descending, but unless you go out of your way to ride in the rain, rim brakes will be superior as they are lighter and less fussy.

Buy the S-Works and a cheap set of alu training wheels. Save the carbon wheels for race day.
Old 08-06-23, 06:57 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
2017 dura ace is qualitatively superior to 105Di2. There are still a lot of 700*23 and 700*25 tyres available and it will be in the future. Interesting about how you can make such firm predictions. And not everyone is into disc brakes as well riding 700*28 tyres or even into eshifting. There are also some dual pivot caliper brakes made by TRP who can accept 700*28 tyres with out problems, TRP RG957 Caliper Set
I simply gave my opinion on what I would choose, along with a few obvious limitations of the older bike in light of modern industry trends, which may or may not be an issue for the OP.

Yes I made a prediction that narrow tyres and rim brakes are not the future of modern race bikes. They are not even the present.

2017 DuraAce vs new 105 Di2 depends largely on your badge snobbery vs inherently superior e-shifting. DuraAce is a bit lighter and 105 has wider gear range options. Personally I would take the 105 Di2 and not worry about the grams or status badge.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-06-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-06-23, 07:45 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Unless you’re only ever riding up a 6% grade both ways, your personal weight goal is <75kg, or your last name is Froome, go with the newer bike. The older Tarmac is a great bike, but the new one gives much more flexibility with wheel and tire choices, should be more comfortable on a typical ride, and was apparently so good with both weight and aero that Specialized discontinued the Venge, their aero race bike.

If we were talking cars, the older S-Works would be akin to a previous gen Porsche 911 GT3, the newer Tarmac a 911S. Sure, one would likely be faster in specific circumstances, but you’ll appreciate the other one more day-to-day.
Old 08-06-23, 08:57 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The whole package will be at least 2 or more pounds lighter than the Tarmac, a huge performance difference.
2 lbs is worth approx 30 sec on a 10 km 8.5% big mountain climb, or about 3W extra power at a 250W baseline. It would only matter for a serious mountain TT. For everything else the difference 2 lbs makes is trivial and that includes acceleration.

BTW, this reality check is for the OP’s benefit only. Dave Mayer doesn’t acknowledge reality and science.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-06-23, 11:42 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
I would get the newer bike myself. Having just built up a beautiful C'dale Super 6 Evo with the old school rim brakes, and did it cheap (under $1k using parts from another bike) I wished it didn't cost so much more to go with the current stuff. My own bike is now 18 years old and I was out on it yesterday going over the George Washington Bridge and I felt really old school. When I built it new it was the hottest bike around. You'll regret not getting the latest, even if 105 is a few steps down. I should add that the C'dale I built used 105 10sp and it shifts absolutely fine. And it rides much better than my own, but I built it for my daughter even though she hasn't been on it more than two or three times.
Old 08-06-23, 02:21 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by OKSFNY
Hello,

Thank you.
Based on what I've learned, I would lean towards the new SL7 Comp:
  • Unless you're at the top TOP end of racing, the difference between DA and 105 will be pretty small, particularly since the 105 set is the newer generation.
  • Rim perform worse in the wet, disc brakes are good overall regardless of conditions. Your carbon wheels will last longer and you can use them more frequently with a disc brake setup. There is a weight difference, but it's not enough to justify a potentially less safe system. If I've learned anything so far, it's to leave most of that "marginal gains" thinking to those with super deep pockets with cash to burn or pros getting paid to race. Furthermore, disc brake setups are getting lighter by the generation. You can always add a lighter disc brake setup in the future to your newer comp frame, but not so with the older 2017 S-Works frame.
If that $2000 difference scares you, there are some good disc brake bikes with 105 in the $2500-3000 range.
Old 08-06-23, 02:48 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9663 Post(s)
Liked 6,375 Times in 3,507 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Unless you’re only ever riding up a 6% grade both ways, your personal weight goal is <75kg, or your last name is Froome, go with the newer bike. The older Tarmac is a great bike, but the new one gives much more flexibility with wheel and tire choices, should be more comfortable on a typical ride, and was apparently so good with both weight and aero that Specialized discontinued the Venge, their aero race bike.

If we were talking cars, the older S-Works would be akin to a previous gen Porsche 911 GT3, the newer Tarmac a 911S. Sure, one would likely be faster in specific circumstances, but you’ll appreciate the other one more day-to-day.
More like 997 GT3 versus 992.2 S. I would go newer in both the car and bike.
Old 08-11-23, 05:04 PM
VaMoots

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
No it isn't. Discs and wider tires are not the future they are the present as is electric shifting. I started with fiction down tube shifters and love all of these things. The Tarmac with 105 Di2 easily wins. It's more than light enough as well.
Old 08-11-23, 05:07 PM
VaMoots

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
Based on what I've learned, I would lean towards the new SL7 Comp:
  • Unless you're at the top TOP end of racing, the difference between DA and 105 will be pretty small, particularly since the 105 set is the newer generation.
  • Rim perform worse in the wet, disc brakes are good overall regardless of conditions. Your carbon wheels will last longer and you can use them more frequently with a disc brake setup. There is a weight difference, but it's not enough to justify a potentially less safe system. If I've learned anything so far, it's to leave most of that "marginal gains" thinking to those with super deep pockets with cash to burn or pros getting paid to race. Furthermore, disc brake setups are getting lighter by the generation. You can always add a lighter disc brake setup in the future to your newer comp frame, but not so with the older 2017 S-Works frame.
If that $2000 difference scares you, there are some good disc brake bikes with 105 in the $2500-3000 range.
Sounds like he has either the shop employee or veterans discount at Specialized. Vet's discount on new bikes is around 20% on most, more on others.