Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Saturday/weekend ramble

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Saturday/weekend ramble

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 07:12 PM
ashlandjet
Hanging on by a thread

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone MB1 (bought new), 1983 Bruce Gordon road bike (Campy Super Record), 2010 Gary Fisher Rig (yeah!), Soma Rush (Wow...me love)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday/weekend ramble

Ok...this thread might...or might not be a good idea. My contribution on its own won't make the thread, but I for one would like to see a glimpse of others lives this weekend which probably should include their SSFG bike. Here are my ramblings...for this weekend's bike thoughts and experience. I want to read yours!

I try and read some of the other subforums such as mountain bikes, vintage, road etc. I am bored with any sub forum other then the SSFG. For me all the other groups are a little boring (no offense intended) in comparison to the SSFG. Kind of like seeing a squirrel instead of a flying squirrel.

Today I did a 24 mile ride on my Soma Rush before work. Part of my ride took me on a nice bike path we have here in my area. I came across a 3 foot bullsnake on the bike path, laying still as a stick (no movement an adaptive survival skill that does not work on bike paths). I stopped and picked the snake up and placed him in a safe area to continue his journey. Made me feel good to contribute to his further existence.

Later in the ride I passed a young female hipster type (18 years old?) that was riding a fixie (thus the reason for this insertion into the thread) who nature had bestowed a truly lovely physical attributes. She had a pierced lower lip (normally not attractive for me, but did not deter from her overall "elegance") and had almost knee high suede boots which should not work in this visual scenario in any manner.......but did quite nicely. Combined with a fairy tale smile it was a quite nice addition to the morning ride.

Other then that I would only add that I love my bike. I have geared bikes but just can't bring myself to ride them when my non-dérailleur is a choice. All my geared bikes are now "Garage Art". And if my Flying squirrel t-shirt was in my possession right now this would have been a perfect weekend.

And you....................

Last edited by ashlandjet; 07-10-10 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-10-10, 08:06 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll chime in.

It's been a while since I've seen my lady(went camping with her family), and we went for a looong relaxing ride today. Sceneries were picture perfect, clear sky, light summer breeze here and there, with the person I love, couldn't have it any other way. We then went to our favourite Mediterranean restaurant for late lunch, had good chai and lentil soup. We stayed there for quite a long while because the place had minimal lighting and Middle-Eastern music, created a very very mellow mood (probably why we love it so much). We went back to her house, left our bikes there and went for a walk; through different parks and neighbourhoods, played with many cats along the way.

It was a pefert day. (Yay Lou Reed)
Old 07-10-10, 08:53 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last couple months have been spent slowly acquiring parts for an SS project using an S-Works road frame I picked up. This morning was divided pretty evenly between the Tour, world cup, and final assembly of the bike.

With that done I clipped in and road down to Haines Point, via the mall and tourist throngs therein. It's been 100+ degrees here in DC all week, and today we got a little rain with things stayed in the low 80's, so everyone was out.

This is my first aluminum frame, so I was a little worried that the ride might be harsher than the steel I'm used to... no such thing. Rode like a dream. A few stops to dial in the saddle position, and I couldn't be happier.

A dozen laps later and I'm riding back home. Stopped to get some take-out on the way (the place down the street makes steak & cheese egg rolls which are exactly as delicious as steak & cheese egg rolls should be), showered up, and plopped down in front of the tv for some netflix movie action.

An entire day with hardly any human interaction. Couldn't have been much better.
Old 07-10-10, 09:50 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I brought my bike to Chicago today for a day with the lady, but we ended up not riding.

Instead, I had breakfast with her family, chilled, tanned at the beach, drove to a restaurant that was way too crowded, and ended up at a little Thai place. All topped off with key lime pie and a short walk in the setting sun.

Overall, a good day.
Old 07-12-10, 12:56 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work weekends. Every weekend. Bummer, yeah. But that's when the money is made.

But the commute makes up for that fact. Usually pleasant in the morning ride in. A little personal time and wake-up adrenaline rush to start the day. I've been listening to a lot of indie lately, but switched it up to the good oi punk/ska tracks this weekend. Lost a few minutes off my commute---guess that cadence matched the tempo.

On the way back, in the southern heat and humidity after a long day, it's sometimes a brutal ride.

...If only there were cute hipster gals pedaling around these parts...

Usually, it's only me and this lone homeless guy who carries an acoustic guitar strapped to his back on bicycles. Everyone else who patrons the shop must be sticking to the trail, or doing some loops that I haven't adventured, yet.
Old 07-12-10, 01:07 AM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday was fun. Went to sleep @ 1AM, woke up @ 5am to head out to the track. Met up with some friends there and we did the beginner session (1 more and I can start racing!), got Pho, ate lunch, then rode for a short Hilly Ride.

It was a fun weekend.
Old 07-12-10, 01:20 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Threads like this are awesome, we get to know about other members a bit more.
Old 07-12-10, 01:35 AM
squeegeesunny 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent my whole saturday tracking down my landlady so I can get my hands on that Medici bike. She apparently was sick during the whole weekend.
Old 07-12-10, 06:56 AM
ashlandjet
Hanging on by a thread

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone MB1 (bought new), 1983 Bruce Gordon road bike (Campy Super Record), 2010 Gary Fisher Rig (yeah!), Soma Rush (Wow...me love)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegeesunny
I spent my whole saturday tracking down my landlady so I can get my hands on that Medici bike. She apparently was sick during the whole weekend.
Good luck, keep us posted . Love your weekend priorities!
Old 07-19-10, 01:37 AM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww, what happened to the thread?

Rode @ the Track to finish my 3rd beginner session so I can be eligible to race now! Had an amazing time... One arm's darker than the other, and I pushed mysef to the absolute limits on the practice scratch race which was realllllly fun.

Then today went out to Half Moon Bay with the family, really wished I brought my bike out, tons of great places to ride, but probably on a roadie rather than my track or the beater...
Old 07-25-10, 02:50 PM
ashlandjet
Hanging on by a thread

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding my SS road bike for the last week straight whereas I normally throw in some SS mountain bike rides. Today (Sunday) I did a long SS mountain bike ride (Gary Fisher Rig) going from my house at 2500 feel elevation to 5500 feet elevation. It is about 10 to 11 miles from my house to the peak 5500 elevation so it is a perfect "civilized" climb for my SS mountain bike (50 gear inches). Now I am relaxing for the afternoon waiting for the Yankee/Royals game to come out of rain delay. My dog is on the bed with me not caring about anything. Life is good...........until MONDAY.
Old 07-25-10, 05:01 PM
joker8baller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Sounds like fun!

I managed to eek out a midnight Century last night, so out of shape, but it's worth the pain =). SO fun to ride in the dark with other people...
Old 07-25-10, 05:11 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
rode 95 miles saturday night/sunday morning as part of a "dark century" on midnightridazz. i live in LB so i rode up to LA to meet with the group (taking a combination of surface streets and river trail). the trip to LA was about 22 miles, with some heavy headwind on some stretches. met up with a group of about 30-40 riders (mostly road, some fixed). the second half of the route took us back towards LB, where i broke off. the rest of the group continued on towards LA (where presumably they had breakfast as the sun was coming up). i've done a few centuries over the past year, but this was my first almost-century riding the fixie. i had a good time. my legs were toast by the end (i participated in a few attacks throughout the night).
Old 07-25-10, 05:24 PM
squeegeesunny 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thunderstorm at 85% humidity for friday, saturday and sunday ftw! Didn't get to ride, but I did go to Brooklyn for my mother's birthday dinner.