Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this Brooks salvageable? If so, how?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 12:28 PM
BrianEugene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This Brooks B72 came into my hands for the right price (free), and I'd like to rehab it. It is seriously dried out: cracked all over and looks like aligator skin. But, none of the cracks go all the way through, and the rivets are in fine condition.

I've searched the forums, but couldn't find anything about a Brooks this far gone. The posts I could fine talked about putting neatsfoot oil or proofide on the bottom. I'm skeptical that would be enough and simultaneously worried about overdoing it.

Any advice is welcome. Before and after pictures would be awesome.

And while we're at it, is there a way to date Brooks's?

Old 10-27-10, 12:34 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That's a wall hanger, man. Sorry.

The original B72 from my Sports wasn't nearly as dried as this one but had started to tear around the rivets on the nose. I put a lot of Proofide on it over the course of a few weeks. It soaked it all up and was plenty comfy, but I replaced it with a VO model 8 because I could tell it was only a matter of time before the tears became worse. It looks cool on a bookshelf in the dining room now.
Old 10-27-10, 12:36 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Many will say no way, toss it but not me.

I had a similar condition saddle (I believe it was an Ideale but it was so far gone I couldn't read the stamp) that I brought back. It will never be perfect, but as long as those cracks don't go deep and the leather is not brittle you have a chance. No guarantees it will ever be usable but what have you got to lose?

I sanded/filed mine smooth and applied lots of mink oil then proofide. I stupidly didn't take any before shots but here is an after:

Old 10-27-10, 12:51 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Find a local saddle(horse that is) maker. They can do some pretty amazing restorations.
Old 10-27-10, 12:55 PM
BrianEugene

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
It will never be perfect, but as long as those cracks don't go deep and the leather is not brittle you have a chance. No guarantees it will ever be usable but what have you got to lose?
My thoughts exactly, I've got nothing to lose other than leather conditioner. Also, I don't think the pictures adequately capture how little used it is. It's dry, certainly, but it looks like it might not have ever been broken in in the first place.

I sanded/filed mine smooth and applied lots of mink oil then proofide.
Sanding first. I hadn't thought about that idea. Could you define "lots"? Is it possible to overdo it? Did you go for top, bottom, or full soak? Am I opening up too large a can of worms if I ask what the advantages to mink oil vs. neatsfoot oil vs. proofide vs. et. al.?

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
That's a wall hanger, man. Sorry.

It looks cool on a bookshelf in the dining room now.
It is actually the bookshelf in my dining room right now...haha. I dont' think my girlfriend appreciates it as a piece of art like I do.

Last edited by BrianEugene; 10-27-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 01:31 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Flame time:

From a CR discussion a while back: SOAK IN A BUCKET OF WATER for a few days.
Then let dry - stuff with newspaper to retain shape - and apply protectant of your choice.
Old 10-27-10, 01:53 PM
BrianEugene

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Flame time:
From a CR discussion a while back: SOAK IN A BUCKET OF WATER for a few days.
I had this idea myself, but didn't know whether or not it would work. BTW, I plan to let all the suggestions roll in before I act. And I'll post "after" pictures when it happens.
Old 10-27-10, 02:10 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
soaking in water is great if it's misshapen. (I can't see photo's from work)
if it's only dried and cracked the sanding and treating solution works for that.
I'd avoid neatsfoot oil since it tends to soften the leather. I'd heat the saddle
with a blow dryer, apply Proofide (or similar) and let it soak in, repeat as needed.

Check the CR list archives I'm pretty sure there's a post or two on the subject.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-27-10, 02:12 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

If you're going to heat it, I would suggest an oven (if yours has a very low setting) over a blow dryer.
Old 10-27-10, 02:15 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool I didn't know that Brooks made a B72GS (Gator Skin)

+1 sand and proofhide, may work.
Old 10-27-10, 02:26 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I revived one not quite so far gone using Gloveoleum....baseball glove oil. Applied to the saddle, then wet a paper shop towel (not soaking, wet and wrung out) with it and wrapped saddle. Placed it in a plastic bag and sealed it. Let it go a couple of days and repeated. After the third app, I stopped applying it to the saddle and just replaced the paper shop towel with another that had been "treated". Kept doing it until it seemed like saddle stopped accepting more oil. Wiped it off thoroughly and then wrapped it in dry paper shop towel to get rid of excess. Note I wrapped only the finished part, not the underside. Result was a very rideable, if not real pretty, saddle.

That one...well good luck.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-27-10, 02:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't know about all this.

The idea behind sanding it is to remove all the cracks. That's fine, but I'm not sure how much will be left. I'm not really sure it's necessary, though.

Saturating the fibers with some kind of oil is definitely a good idea. But if you're going to sand it, sand it dry.

Best case scenario, you can get the leather soft enough to not to tear/crack all the way through when you ride. I don't think you want to make it support your whole weight. So I'd cut a piece of a fairly hard foam, to the approximate shape of the inner surface of the leather, and squeeze it under the leather. It should put no pressure on the leather except when you sit on it.

Good luck! It'll be interesting to see how good you can get it... and how long it lasts. I'm guessing you can get it good enough for a bike you don't ride much. I doubt that saddle will last more than a couple hundred miles no matter what magic you can work on it.
Old 10-27-10, 03:08 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take the mounting hardware off, scrape the rust off that, and save. Give the saddle a proper burial. I would not put it in the oven. I tried that once on an old B-17, It shrank. I just think it's too far gone, I could be wrong though.

Last edited by IknowURider; 10-27-10 at 03:15 PM. Reason: addd content
Old 10-27-10, 03:50 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to put proofide on my Brooks!
Old 10-27-10, 03:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
And if you don't get the outer surface perfectly smooth and pretty, you can cover it with a stretchy seat cover, made of nylon/lycra. Niagara sells them for $2.87. You still get all the advantages of the Brooks saddle except it won't look like one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-27-10, 04:23 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,141 Times in 558 Posts
Many will say no way, toss it but not me.

I had a similar condition saddle (I believe it was an Ideale but it was so far gone I couldn't read the stamp) that I brought back. It will never be perfect, but as long as those cracks don't go deep and the leather is not brittle you have a chance. No guarantees it will ever be usable but what have you got to lose?

I sanded/filed mine smooth and applied lots of mink oil then proofide.
Nice salvage job. Do you recall what type/grit sandpaper you used?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 10-27-10, 04:31 PM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the advice I got from another BF C&V member (sorry, I forget who) for a saddle I restored:

"Wrap for 1/2 day in a damp towel. Then, let it dry for about an hour without the towel until it is moist like a fresh piece of Wonderbread. Then, generously cover it on both sides with mink oil and put a plastic bag over it overnight. Keep it in a warm place to heat the oil - put by a heating vent, in the sunshine or use a hair dryer. Repeated the next night, and then buff."

Results were good, but my saddle was nowhere near as far gone as yours. Good luck! I would try to save it too, how can you not when a saddle has that much character.
Old 10-27-10, 04:40 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
sanding?? why would you want to lose any leather?? I would try the various soaking methods and see how much the cracks shrank before I removed any thickness.
Old 10-27-10, 06:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I say try Ko-cho-line:

Neal
Old 10-27-10, 06:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Initiallly, I thought...."why?" But it's none of my business.

Secondly, I thought....sand it while it's dry, then hydrate/oilate/permeate that leather with something good for it.

Fix the hide, remove the rust, then dye and treat. It may give you years of service, maybe a few rides and "boingo," but it would be fun.

Tertiarily, I think it's a worthwhile project, even if it fails. You'll then know a limit. I think a cobbler would take a crack at it if you convinced him/her you didn't have expectations.

I'm trying to use big words since JohnDThompson's "innominate" on the unique bike thread.
It makes me feel less inferior, even if they're not real words.

Plus, they were out of Yuengling, so I'm making do with Heiney....
Old 10-27-10, 06:57 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
sanding?? why would you want to lose any leather?? I would try the various soaking methods and see how much the cracks shrank before I removed any thickness.
With my saddle (which looked a lot like this one), the cracks were at least 1mm deep so simply softening the leather would have still left me with a very rough and bumpy surface. The saddle is 5mm thick and very sturdy so losing a little leather didn't hurt the strength (noticeably) of mine.

Gaucho - I used pretty fine sand paper and only took off a little at a time then I would run my hands over it and take off a little more until it was smooth. Sorry I don't remember the grit but I'm guessing around 400, maybe finer.
Old 10-27-10, 07:30 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by rhm
Good luck! It'll be interesting to see how good you can get it... and how long it lasts. I'm guessing you can get it good enough for a bike you don't ride much. I doubt that saddle will last more than a couple hundred miles no matter what magic you can work on it.
That's what I'm saying. That's about how long it takes to break in a new one (although the B67 is a better and less expensive replacement for most purposes).
Old 10-27-10, 07:47 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CV-6
I revived one not quite so far gone using Gloveoleum....baseball glove oil. Applied to the saddle, then wet a paper shop towel (not soaking, wet and wrung out) with it and wrapped saddle. Placed it in a plastic bag and sealed it. Let it go a couple of days and repeated. After the third app, I stopped applying it to the saddle and just replaced the paper shop towel with another that had been "treated". Kept doing it until it seemed like saddle stopped accepting more oil. Wiped it off thoroughly and then wrapped it in dry paper shop towel to get rid of excess. Note I wrapped only the finished part, not the underside. Result was a very rideable, if not real pretty, saddle.

That one...well good luck.
Gloveoleum is mostly neat's foot oil. If you get too much on your saddle will DIE! I hate neat's foot oil. I cannot remember how many times I've tried it and ruined the item.
Old 10-27-10, 10:59 PM
MACAQUE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a brooks that was in just as bad shape as yours... i figured it was so deteriorated, i can either trash it or experiment with it at least...

it was a prime candidate to try the sanding and shellacking technique mentioned elsewhere in C & V...

i sanded it down slowly with 600 grit sandpaper, and just tried to smooth all the bigger cracks down. then i applied 5 layers of shellac (over the course of a couple of weeks), and it turned out great!

sorry, the shutter on my nikon went out, but i will post/PM you pics when i get a camera on hand.
Old 10-27-10, 11:42 PM
Ragooch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try the bucket of water and saddle soap. Filling it with lots of oil will make it look like a saddle again but it will most likely tear in half after a few rides. All that oil makes them rancid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.