Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brian Rourke pursuit / track / funny bike project (late eighties..???)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 05:18 AM
DutchmanPhotos

Bikes: Schwinn Blue Falcon, Hoffman Flash, S&M Challenger, early GT Zaskar, Trek 8500, Trek Sssion 88, Yeti DJ, Last Cord, Brian Rourke funny bike, 70's Motobecane sports bike...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

A while ago I got this frame set.. My plan is to start buildig it up bit by bit.
I was a little dissapointed when I got it, because in the add I hadn't seen the cable guides, derrailer hanger, and vertical dropouts. It was kind of a quick buy, since I got it pretty cheap.

Anyways, first I thought I'd build it up with a derrailer, brakes, and everything.. Kinda hard for me, since I wanna do as much of a period correct build as possible, and my background does not lay in roadbikes....
After doing some research I found some real nice horizontal dropouts for sale in Great Britain. We're pretty handy, so now the plan is to build it up as a track bike. Change the dropouts, fill up the brake holes, and remove the cable guides.. Have it sprayed white.. Put on new decals which I got the other day..
I already have a real nice Campy aero seatpost for it, and a NOS carbon Flite seat. Also a neat set of bullhorns and a NOS 24 inch Wolber rim with NOS Vittoria tire.

I'd like to know though if any of you guys would know the exact year of build of one of these frames....
Also, what kind of rear wheel would you put in here..? Aerospoke maybe..? Or are those too new? I can also get my hands on a nice Campgnolo trackwheel, but it's kinda pricey....

Some input would be great.. Thanks!

Old 09-16-10, 05:48 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Only reasonable input I could give is go for a proper pursuit bike, as it sounds like that is what you're looking for. It could be (partially) funded with the money you get from someone in the market for a vintage TT Brian Rourke.

On dating: You could try Retrobike.co.uk also, as the Rourke is Brittish.
Old 09-16-10, 12:57 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seriously, changing dropouts is a costly (and irreversible) procedure. Maybe a magic gear.
Old 09-16-10, 01:07 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Aero spokes aren't new and will be period correct for that bike. check out "Aerolite" oval spokes from DT or Wheelsmith's own oval spokes. They should work and will not require filing slots into yout hub flange holes. You can also use a period rear disc wheel from Mavic, but they are very expensive when in good condition. As mentioned, changing rear dropouts can be a little expensive but surely not impossible (or irreversible if the frame builder does not overheat/damage the tubes doing this and subsequent changes), but it seems like a lot of work and expense when you might just try to find a real track "funny bike" frame instead. and let this classic continue its now long "provenance" as a road TT bike instead.
JMOs

Chombi
Old 09-16-10, 01:17 PM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Aero spokes aren't new and will be period correct for that bike. check out "Aerolite" oval spokes from DT or Wheelsmith's own oval spokes. They should work and will not require filing slots into yout hub flange holes. You can also use a period rear disc wheel from Mavic, but they are very expensive when in good condition. As mentioned, changing rear dropouts can be a little expensive but surely not impossible (or irreversible if the frame builder does not overheat/damage the tubes doing this and subsequent changes), but it seems like a lot of work and expense when you might just try to find a real track "funny bike" frame instead. and let this classic continue its now long "provenance" as a road TT bike instead.
JMOs

Chombi
This is true—I just meant in the sense that it'll never be original again—even if you replaces the original dropouts, the paint is still going to get ruined. Also, you'd have to be insane to pay money for that operation twice.
Old 09-16-10, 01:25 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Why not buy a track frame? You could sell that Rourke TT frame to fund it and probably have some profit to spend on Pista pedals, etc. Seems a shame to cut bits off a frame that was "rare" (very limited numbers made) in the first place. The frame looks to be in great condition. Just my view, it's your frame to do what you want with!
Old 09-16-10, 01:27 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Just what time perior are you shooting for? Google some pictures of the 1988 soule olympics, no one was using aerospoke or trispokes wheels yet then. If you want an 80's look then use double disks or a rear disk with a trick conventional front aero wheel.

Velobase shows that aerospokes began in 1988 but I would think that probably most of the early adopters were all triathaletes, I dont recall solid spoke wheels in "widespread" use for several years thereafter. Solid spoke wheels were going full force by the time of the 1992 olympics but the bike frames had become much more radical looking by then (Chris boardmans Lotus) and pursuit frame design had changed to accomidate aero bar positioning.

I am pretty sure that flight carbon saddles didnt appear until the early 90s eithor.
Old 09-17-10, 02:18 AM
DutchmanPhotos

Bikes: Schwinn Blue Falcon, Hoffman Flash, S&M Challenger, early GT Zaskar, Trek 8500, Trek Sssion 88, Yeti DJ, Last Cord, Brian Rourke funny bike, 70's Motobecane sports bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plan changed.

You guys, and especially my dad, the real oldtimer, conviced me that I should not be modifying this frame. He said I was crazy.

After searching for hours I found a good 24 inch front rim with a brake surface, and a good Mavic rear aero rim with a fitting hub. No disc or anything yet, but I can make it into a roller soon.

I sent an e-mail to Rourke, to find out the exact build year of the frame also.

Will keep you guys posted on the build.
Old 09-17-10, 02:53 AM
mavesyn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wise decision, not altering the frame, as one poster said, Rourke's did'nt make many lo-pro's.
What is the full serial number, including any letters, that maybe in it. I've had a few Rourke's, so i could give you a rough idea of age.
I'd say it was about 1990.
For idea's on how you want it to look, go on flickr, and go to the Classic Time trial group, there are loads of low-pro pictures on there.
Mike.
Old 09-17-10, 03:29 AM
DutchmanPhotos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike,
There's no serial number on the frame. The bottom bracket has a space where one could be stamped, but it's empty.

I'll check out that group on Flickr.

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-10, 01:41 PM
DutchmanPhotos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been collecting some parts.. Did a small crappy mock up in my tiny garage. Not completely period correct, but I think it's going to look pretty cool equipped with late eighties, early nineties parts...

Can't wait to get it painted.. But first I need to know more about the frame though. Need to find out which Reynolds tubing was used so I can apply the right decals... The seller said that he thinks they used 653, because it's all brazed.. It has 753 decals now, but it had a few resprays along the way...
If anyone knows more about this, please let me know.
I contacted Rourke about it. They can search for stuff if I would have a frame number, but there is none. I contacted them again to send some pics of the frame, but I haven't had much response so far... It would be nice to know an approximate build year also.

Cheers,

-Maurice

Old 09-28-10, 03:08 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reynolds 653 tubing is the term for 531 main tubes and 753 on everything else. I believe it was merckx that asked for this design as when everyone started building high en bikes with 753 some feel was lost and the 531SL tubing was still close on the marks with 753 without sacrificing a stiff steel ride quality.
So even though it says 753, it is 653, and most of it is 753, except for the 531 parts... you dig?
Old 09-28-10, 04:48 PM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No spokes, no hub... Weight weenie.
Old 09-28-10, 05:58 PM
remotelocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that front hub/spokes set up is sweet! VERY minimal.
Old 10-01-10, 03:41 PM
DutchmanPhotos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talked to Brian Rourke today.. He's gonna try to find out from a picture I sent him, when he built the bike, and which tubing he used... He was amazed that there's no number in the frame. He did remember that he only built about half a dozen of these bikes with the 24 inch front wheel set up..

Got a neat set of Campy pista cranks and another front wheel today. There's only a boss for a rear shifter on teh frame, so I can go with a single ring up front.

Will post a new pic tomorrow.
Old 10-02-10, 03:43 AM
DutchmanPhotos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick mock up with some random parts..

Old 10-02-10, 04:31 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 68 Posts
Very cool,I love it. I just can't imagine getting my body into a position to ride it.
Ed
Old 10-02-10, 06:34 AM
DutchmanPhotos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Well, I sat on it this morning and it doesn't feel that bad at all... It's actually a pretty small and short bike.
Old 10-02-10, 11:54 AM
BrianEugene

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I honestly thought you were baiting us (is trolling the term I'm looking for?). That frame looks really sharp. I have a huge soft spot for funny bikes and I must admit that I'm jealous.
Old 10-02-10, 12:03 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchmanPhotos
Got a neat set of Campy pista cranks and another front wheel today. There's only a boss for a rear shifter on teh frame, so I can go with a single ring up front.
In my experience, if you run a single chain ring you still need to have some way to keep the chain from falling off on the front. A locked front derailler is probably the easiest but not particularly elegant looking. If you don't have something to guard the chain from falling off, you will loose much, much more time racing when the chain falls off than you can ever save by not having a front derailler.