Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

More eBay C&V mysteries

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

More eBay C&V mysteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 08:10 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
More eBay C&V mysteries

So I was watching two auctions for vintage framesets, both of which ended this Halloween eve. First was this sweet 70s Motobecane Grand Jubilee. Nervex lugs, full DB 531 frameset:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ended at $106.50, and I came very close to throwing in a snipe for $111.51 but held back. Dang.

Then there was this early 70s Raleigh Super Course. Same size as the Moto, pretty good shape, straight gauge 531 in the main triangle, comes with stem, seat post, and cottered crankset:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Huh, $275?!!! WTF?!

So maybe I should sell my '72 Super Course frameset and buy a couple of Grand Jubilees with some change left over for some French parts. Wow.

Neal
Old 10-31-10, 08:42 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
+ 1 The Gr Jubile went pretty for a pretty low price.

I am not surprised though at the outrageous price on the SC. The main reason? Good Paint...
The buyer can easily build it into practically anything he wants, and it will look like a new bike, and have wonderful ride characteristics.
You can not duplicate that with any new bike today - at least not this quality at this price.
Old 10-31-10, 08:43 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I think that's typical of Ebay. Not every auction is attended by the same set of bidders, even if the items are "comparable". Factor in time zones, bidder's attention/distraction, etc. I see many items I'm watching go for less than I would have bid, but didn't get around or get a chance to put a bid in on (basically, I don't bid other than sniping, but so far I just snipe manually).
Old 10-31-10, 09:21 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Since we are bringing up mysteries, I have one...at least it is to me.

This auction for a curved tube Schwinn Paramount P19-3 went, IMO, very low. Rare bike, provenance (or maybe not), nice shape. Maybe the non-standard paint worked against it. I considered bidding on it, but decided to try to maintain some focus. Was it a steal or did I miss something?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-31-10, 09:52 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I can't believe how high S.C.'s have been going for lately. The are great frames, but not all THAT rare!
Old 10-31-10, 10:06 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Perhaps the Motobecane scares people away because they are afraid of French Threading. I know that not all Motobecanes came with French threading, but will the casual C&V buyer be aware of this fact?
Old 10-31-10, 10:13 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by redneckwes
I can't believe how high S.C.'s have been going for lately. The are great frames, but not all THAT rare!
+1 , but it is hard to find clean ones.
Old 10-31-10, 10:17 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by elcraft
Perhaps the Motobecane scares people away because they are afraid of French Threading. I know that not all Motobecanes came with French threading, but will the casual C&V buyer be aware of this fact?
You would think they would be more taken with the beautiful gold-lined Nervex lugs set off by the Motobecane red - but you can never underestimate Franco-phobia !
Old 10-31-10, 11:29 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I was watching the Motobecane since it is a drive-able distance. The last thing I need is a new project, I actually should be selling some stuff. Purplehayesbikes always has something interesting for sale. On top of that, he is a friendly and interesting person.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-01-10, 12:33 AM
BrianEugene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by auchencrow
The main reason? Good Paint...
The buyer can easily build it into practically anything he wants, and it will look like a new bike, and have wonderful ride characteristics.
You can not duplicate that with any new bike today - at least not this quality at this price.
+1. Also, better photos.

Originally Posted by nlerner
Motobecane Grand Jubilee. Nervex lugs, full DB 531 frameset:
And despite the description, I don't think that Motobecane was actually double butted 531 frame and fork. I think it's the 3 main tubes like the SC. I don't think any 70's Grand Jubilees were full 531, but (if I am correct) I don't know if that would be known by all bidders. I have a '73 Grand Jubilee and it is a fantastic bike, but it's not full db 531, only "3 tubes renforces"
Old 11-01-10, 04:19 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Neal, I blame you for the inflated price Super Courses have been going for lately--even frames with bad paint have been fetching over $200. Everyone knows that you like them, and public confidence in your judgement is such that everyone wants to get on the bandwagon, too. It's sort of like when a rumor spreads that Warren Buffet is buying up lots of a particular stock.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 11-01-10, 04:37 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The shop I worked at back in the day was a former Raleigh and Motobecane dealer. We'd get regular inquiries for Raleighs but none for Motobecanes. The ebay results dont surprise me.
Old 11-01-10, 04:54 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Ebay final values have little to do with the product or item sold. It has everything to do with who want what ever is being offered. And, if two people want the item, the price goes up, and up, and up...

There is no mystery, here. It is a simple law of supply and demand. One item (supply) and two buyers(demand). Add a third buyer, who really wants the item, and the final value sky rockets! At least, that is the way it seems, to me, after selling hundreds of bicycles, with a starting list price of $9.99 each, on Ebay.

Also, as others have pointed out, shine, glitter and dazzle will, indeed, sell.
Old 11-01-10, 06:03 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by jonwvara
... Super Courses ...everyone wants ... Warren Buffet is buying up lots .....
I'm going to buy another SC before it's too late, especially now that I read somewhere that Warren Buffet is buying up lots of Super Courses.
Old 11-01-10, 06:26 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by jonwvara
Neal, I blame you for the inflated price Super Courses have been going for lately--even frames with bad paint have been fetching over $200. Everyone knows that you like them, and public confidence in your judgement is such that everyone wants to get on the bandwagon, too. It's sort of like when a rumor spreads that Warren Buffet is buying up lots of a particular stock.
No, Jon, that's Auchen who's been talking up SCs!

I guess I had better keep my desire for a high-end Moto to myself lest the price start shooting up.

Neal
Old 11-01-10, 06:35 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by nlerner
No, Jon, that's Auchen who's been talking up SCs!

I guess I had better keep my desire for a high-end Moto to myself lest the price start shooting up.

Neal

Who me? Isn't it jonwvara who told us about Warren Buffet?

PS- I heard those Moto Grand Jubile's, Grand Records and Le Champions will be the next big thing.
Old 11-01-10, 06:45 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Neal, I was hoping to get that for my completely built SC and it looks my paint and decals are in slightly better shape. wow.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-01-10, 06:54 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
There was a Capella-lugged SC a couple months back, that I bidded up unreasonably with what I considered a totally over-the-top snipe. I figured, since it was local and I could pick it up in person, I could bid that much higher. I didn't get it.
Old 11-01-10, 07:21 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Who me? Isn't it jonwvara who told us about Warren Buffet?

PS- I heard those Moto Grand Jubile's, Grand Records and Le Champions will be the next big thing.
Funnily enough, I'm actually looking for a good-quality Motobecane frame in about a 60 cm for a good friend who recently crashed and wrecked his Grand Jubile (busting his collarbone and some other things in the process). The news of the destruction of that frame will probably bump prices upward, too, I'd guess. Sorry, Neal.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 11-01-10, 07:47 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
One is a French bike from a manufacturer that most newbies can't quite wrap their head around, even if it is 531. More importantly, French-threaded old-wives tales get more publicity than Velo-Orange's French BB's, or the keywords "French BB" on eBay.

The other is a Raleigh Super Course - a brand talked up to immortality by Sheldon Brown, and a model talked up more than the Professional by every single Raleigh collector out there. Plus, it has Nervex lugs, which some people seem to think insinuate that the bike is superior to anything else out there. Plus, it's "bronze green," a color that people consider holier than God, despite the fact that most "bronze green" frames that Raleigh produced look like monkey diarrhea.

-Kurt

Old 11-01-10, 08:08 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
i think this is a big part of the equation.

Originally Posted by old's'cool
I think that's typical of Ebay. Not every auction is attended by the same set of bidders, even if the items are "comparable". Factor in time zones, bidder's attention/distraction, etc. I see many items I'm watching go for less than I would have bid, but didn't get around or get a chance to put a bid in on (basically, I don't bid other than sniping, but so far I just snipe manually).
yep. ebay is totally capricious. sometimes an item won't sell the first time around, or won't meet the minimum reserve. then after posting it again, the bids go through the roof. i sold a TA front rack (the tiny little rack that mounts to MAFAC centerpulls) on ebay for $158. i had bought it on ebay for $40 and was hoping to merely recoup my initial purchase price. what i didn't realize when i listed it (but later learned after checking completed auctions) was that there were no others listed that week. therefore supply and demand really did increase its value to the two people who were determined to get it. i took pity on the high bidder and upgraded the shipping to express mail overnight .

Originally Posted by BrianEugene
+1. Also, better photos.
this, along with an honest and thoughtfully detailed description, makes a huge difference, in my experience, at least with framesets and complete bikes. not necessarily the case with small parts or components.
Old 11-01-10, 08:56 AM
nlerner

I certainly know from watching eBay that what something goes for is what some individual bidder was willing to pay at that moment. Price trends are impossible to track (and, fwiw, I watched an auction for one of those TA front racks recently end at less than $30). And that final price on the Super Course was a classic bidding war between two eBay newbies with minimal feedback. Heck, I just send my Super Courses to redneckwes, anyway.

Neal
Old 11-01-10, 09:20 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Since we are bringing up mysteries, I have one...at least it is to me.

This auction for a curved tube Schwinn Paramount P19-3 went, IMO, very low. Rare bike, provenance (or maybe not), nice shape. Maybe the non-standard paint worked against it. I considered bidding on it, but decided to try to maintain some focus. Was it a steal or did I miss something?
I was watching this closely and almost threw out a bid when I saw the fairly low price but it just didn't grab me. The curved seat tube bikes always just looked weird to me. In the end the kicker was that the bike is too small for me. I try and control myself by only buying bikes that fit me :-)
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 11-01-10, 09:33 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
The way Merckx' have been lately I thought this one would go higher

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=
Old 11-01-10, 11:14 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
I corresponded with this seller last week when he listed it on CL on CA. Made what I thought was a very generous offer (his asking price but including shipping) and was told he was holding it for someone who had offered full asking price & was picking it up Monday (tpday). Then he lists on eBay, what, Sunday?

I understand about trying to get the best price and everything, but we're not talking huge differences here...

https://cgi.ebay.com/EDDY-MERCKX-TEAM...04845209843435

OOPS Spoke too soon! Starting price now boosted from 1900 to $2100, BIN now at $2500.

Guess no bids makes the market...motivated? frenzied?

Last edited by rccardr; 11-01-10 at 08:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.