Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noise from bike seat post?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 05:22 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Why would this be happening now? it's only just started 3 days ago. I sit a lot because I have me/cfs
https://youtu.be/39Rflqh7nq8
Old 02-26-23, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
It sounds like a cheap "suspension" seatpost that is done. Just get either a proper isolation seatpost from say Kinekt or Cane Creek (if you had too) or just replace it with a rigid post and loads of problems are solved. You might be able to figure out some lube dripping but honestly those posts are rarely worth it and are really poor for riding as they change your position and screw around with your knees. The idea of the Kinekt is to move you down but also back so it keeps you more or less in a similar position for your knees not 100% perfect but loads better than a pogo stick.

I will say without a nose on the saddle a bike becomes harder to ride as well. You do you on that front but I frequently use the nose to move my bike. Also would ask if you have any wrist pain or feel like you are putting more pressure there? If so having a saddle that is not pointed down so you slide off and have to push yourself onto the saddle will help as well.
Old 02-26-23, 02:50 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
After having tried few dozen suspension seatposts, the right saddle is all I need.

I believe the same can be applied to the OP.

Saddles have come a very long way over the decades. Gel this. Elastomer that. Springs. Oh my!

Imho, the suspension seat post has always been some gimmick easy to market to the DIY owners for their uncomfortable saddles.
Old 02-27-23, 08:38 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It sounds like a cheap "suspension" seatpost that is done. Just get either a proper isolation seatpost from say Kinekt or Cane Creek (if you had too) or just replace it with a rigid post and loads of problems are solved. You might be able to figure out some lube dripping but honestly those posts are rarely worth it and are really poor for riding as they change your position and screw around with your knees. The idea of the Kinekt is to move you down but also back so it keeps you more or less in a similar position for your knees not 100% perfect but loads better than a pogo stick.

I will say without a nose on the saddle a bike becomes harder to ride as well. You do you on that front but I frequently use the nose to move my bike. Also would ask if you have any wrist pain or feel like you are putting more pressure there? If so having a saddle that is not pointed down so you slide off and have to push yourself onto the saddle will help as well.
oh its been good for years tho. maybe its time is just done. maybe when i get time will look at something but seems everything is online . not like you can look at something or try it out. whats lube dripping? yeah no the seat is great and no ill effects ever. i need what i have because of disability. oh hey i am a vegan too btw . never used a pogo stick so cant comment on that one.
oh no no no i had the worst pain when i had a nose on the seat. it was a huge nightmare. tried many and rode other bikes. i was in hell. had many types of round ish seats and i am so much better. no no wrist pain. its complicated to explain the seat. its working for me very well
Old 02-27-23, 08:41 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by soyabean
After having tried few dozen suspension seatposts, the right saddle is all I need.

I believe the same can be applied to the OP.

Saddles have come a very long way over the decades. Gel this. Elastomer that. Springs. Oh my!

Imho, the suspension seat post has always been some gimmick easy to market to the DIY owners for their uncomfortable saddles.
dunno all of that. tried many things and this works. pretty happy. 13 years of owning 3 ebikes all 20" and i ride much better than the original seatpost/saddle. just this issue is new. no gel seat for me. they heat me up.
Old 02-27-23, 09:51 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack
dunno all of that. tried many things and this works. pretty happy. 13 years of owning 3 ebikes all 20" and i ride much better than the original seatpost/saddle. just this issue is new. no gel seat for me. they heat me up.
There's no need not to have your bikes set up just the way you like. I bet if you could take that seat post out and take that rubber boot off or just turn it upside down you could get some lubrication in there either from a spray can or drip can. That should quiet it down then you can consider getting a new one at your leisure.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-01-23, 11:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack
oh its been good for years tho. maybe its time is just done. maybe when i get time will look at something but seems everything is online . not like you can look at something or try it out. whats lube dripping? yeah no the seat is great and no ill effects ever. i need what i have because of disability. oh hey i am a vegan too btw . never used a pogo stick so cant comment on that one.
oh no no no i had the worst pain when i had a nose on the seat. it was a huge nightmare. tried many and rode other bikes. i was in hell. had many types of round ish seats and i am so much better. no no wrist pain. its complicated to explain the seat. its working for me very well
Some stuff might slowly degrade and some might quickly degrade it happens, I don't think I have seen a post like that yet that hasn't had an issue after some period of time aside from brand brand new stuff but even that will have a touch of play usually.

There are plenty of bike shops all over the world where you can take a look at stuff in person and find something more practical. You may not be able to test ride it but honestly you won't be able to tell anyone anything about what happened until you have really ridden it. I can take a bike around the block a couple times and make comments but in the end it is like watching a 30 second new clip blur by and then say you know the whole situation in Indonesia (not saying there is or isn't anything just an example) you really need to ride it for a long time to experience it and know if it is right for you. Certainly you can get a minor sense of it probably will work or it won't work but sometimes you need to adjust it for your body.

I call the seatpost a pogo stick because like a pogo stick it goes just up and down which is not ideal for a seatpost as you are sitting on it (dropper posts are a whole different thing).

Glad you aren't having wrist pain, if I rode that as is I would be in a lot of pain. I do not love having to hold myself up especially these days with a little extra to love and not being able to use my body "english" to steer would be tough. But hey if it works for you...

xVx baby...I started on the path of veganism back in 2008 I think? Before that I was not using animals for entertainment and clothing and household products and stuff like that but was sadly still eating some of their by-products (though mostly freegan for a bunch of months before that) and finally I said enough and bingo bango bongo still going strong today and learning new things and trying my best to avoid exploitation. Always good to have more folks.
Old 03-06-23, 09:21 AM
rapattack

yes it seems to have quietened down after i dripped a lot of chain lube in there but i will take a closer look when i have time
Old 03-06-23, 09:34 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Some stuff might slowly degrade and some might quickly degrade it happens, I don't think I have seen a post like that yet that hasn't had an issue after some period of time aside from brand brand new stuff but even that will have a touch of play usually.

There are plenty of bike shops all over the world where you can take a look at stuff in person and find something more practical. You may not be able to test ride it but honestly you won't be able to tell anyone anything about what happened until you have really ridden it. I can take a bike around the block a couple times and make comments but in the end it is like watching a 30 second new clip blur by and then say you know the whole situation in Indonesia (not saying there is or isn't anything just an example) you really need to ride it for a long time to experience it and know if it is right for you. Certainly you can get a minor sense of it probably will work or it won't work but sometimes you need to adjust it for your body.

I call the seatpost a pogo stick because like a pogo stick it goes just up and down which is not ideal for a seatpost as you are sitting on it (dropper posts are a whole different thing).

Glad you aren't having wrist pain, if I rode that as is I would be in a lot of pain. I do not love having to hold myself up especially these days with a little extra to love and not being able to use my body "english" to steer would be tough. But hey if it works for you...

xVx baby...I started on the path of veganism back in 2008 I think? Before that I was not using animals for entertainment and clothing and household products and stuff like that but was sadly still eating some of their by-products (though mostly freegan for a bunch of months before that) and finally I said enough and bingo bango bongo still going strong today and learning new things and trying my best to avoid exploitation. Always good to have more folks.
oh ok i have nothing to compare by. i did get some lube in there and it does seem to be better but i just havent had time or energy to access better.
yes here bike stores r expensive and theres a multitude of issues. too tired to get into it.
i have no clue what else is a possible. i have never seen a store that has posts on display or give time for conversation. its all quick buy and get out.
there are community workshops but they r rare and often the same issue arises. i will just have to see how things go and wait.
just had way too much abuse from the local bike store i bought the first ebike from and then most other stores dont wanna look at ebikes. the mobile mechanic is ok but everything is a rush. if i can get the words out in simple quick form things go well but with a disability i dont know what day i am going to get.
yeah no issues with holding myself up even with the disability. oh yes i have stacked in some weight since covid ekkk.
oh cool yeah think i have been vegan 35 years and a bad not vegetarian prior lol. yeah i used to wear their skins but it got to me everytime i went to put the shoes on. i just saw blood everywhere and finally had to get rid of them. when we realise something thats it really eh.
sorry its taking me so much time to get online but i am having to take care of a cat at a distance and a bit her human while he is in hospital. the bike is getting used a lot right now but my body is way not appreciating it. could be worse though
Likes For rapattack: