Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Forum Threads We Wish Would Die - Insert Link

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Forum Threads We Wish Would Die - Insert Link

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 02:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
This isnt so much threads I wish would die, but rather specific posts I wish would die.

Any post where someone quotes another post that contains multiple pictures and then says something like 'nice bike!' just triggers me. Get rid of the pictures and leave just the text, then post your compliment. Its insane to see a thread where someone's 5 pictures are quoted six or seven times. I cant believe people read something like that and think 'yep, perfect'.
Old 02-22-23, 02:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...s-purpose.html
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-22-23, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This isnt so much threads I wish would die, but rather specific posts I wish would die.

Any post where someone quotes another post that contains multiple pictures and then says something like 'nice bike!' just triggers me. Get rid of the pictures and leave just the text, then post your compliment. Its insane to see a thread where someone's 5 pictures are quoted six or seven times. I cant believe people read something like that and think 'yep, perfect'.
Heh. Remember the member from Boston who used to do the nesting quotes? It would sometimes take 5 minutes to figure out what his post was saying.
Old 02-22-23, 02:55 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Remember the member from Boston who used to do the nesting quotes? It would sometimes take 5 minutes to figure out what his post was saying.
Too true! I remember that one very well. Said member was quite shameless about it; he considered those posts to be some sort of literary exercise, as I recall.
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-22-23, 02:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I sure do. It was already mentioned names cant be mentioned so Ill refrain, but my gosh that guy put up confusing walls of text. Simply unreadable. You didnt know who was saying what in any given point of the post...and I think it was in the end all him just talking to himself and posting the conversation he had with himself? Well at least thats how I remember it.
Hilarious reference.

Based on the fact that you are posting- good to see you are doing better.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-22-23, 03:16 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Too true! I remember that one very well. Said member was quite shameless about it; he considered those posts to be some sort of literary exercise, as I recall.
On the other hand, whenever I saw his name at the top of one of his screeds, I knew I could speed-scroll all the way to the bottom and on to the next post and miss nothing.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-22-23, 03:25 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
On the other hand, whenever I saw his name at the top of one of his screeds, I knew I could speed-scroll all the way to the bottom and on to the next post and miss nothing.
Agree. I recall trying to work out only the first one or two I came across. Gave up after that; game not worth the candle.
Old 02-22-23, 04:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

yeah, I liked him a lot & miss him chiming in

EDIT btw - great to see you back!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-22-23 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 04:28 PM
rumrunn6

Jim from Boston was attacked a lot for his style & he didn't deserve it. I agree he pulled up a lot of text to sort thru but he took the time & effort to contribute & be helpful. lot's a ppl on these forums are worth ignoring, but it's another thing to seek them out & try to beat them down

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-22-23 at 05:00 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-22-23, 04:30 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by BillyD
Personal attacks can get you burned. If you don't like something, don't read it.
thank you
Old 02-22-23, 04:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Maybe I never put in the full five minutes, because I never figured out how to read his posts.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-22-23, 04:31 PM
rumrunn6

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...sert-link.html
Old 02-22-23, 04:35 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Eric F
Asking people to provide a link to a thread they want to die seems like it accomplishes the exact opposite goal.
it is. it's like an adolescence teen bullying w/ a "hot-or-not". it's just paving the way for bullying & meanness. the MODs have enough work on their hands policing this place without any of us encouraging this kind of targeting. it sucks us all in, me included
Old 02-22-23, 05:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Jim from Boston was attacked a lot for his style & he didn't deserve it. I agree he pulled up a lot of text to sort thru but he took the time & effort to contribute & be helpful. lot's a ppl on these forums are worth ignoring, but it's another thing to seek them out & try to beat them down
Would people seek him out and try to beat him down? Based on responses so far, everyone would happen upon his posts and all but you would end up confused. I did bring it up to him a couple times and complained because it was a mess and I couldn't figure out what was happening, but even that certainly couldn't be considered 'seeking out'.

If people followed him around and commented, that's lame.
Old 02-22-23, 07:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Yeah, he often quoted a string of posts nested several layers deep, and frequently quoted himself.

His tag line really summed it up -- he seemed to think he was providing a valuable service.

Think of my nested quotes as a panel discussion on a topic, with me as moderator and a participant, each of us speaking in turn.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-23-23, 11:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yeah, he often quoted a string of posts nested several layers deep, and frequently quoted himself.

His tag line really summed it up -- he seemed to think he was providing a valuable service.
Think of my nested quotes as a panel discussion on a topic, with me as moderator and a participant, each of us speaking in turn.
I would sometimes look at(but not really read) one of those posts and wonder how long it took to create. Some of what he would reference were comments he made in another forum on the site from 3 years earlier.
Not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze there. Lot of work.
Old 02-23-23, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I would sometimes look at(but not really read) one of those posts and wonder how long it took to create. Some of what he would reference were comments he made in another forum on the site from 3 years earlier.

I miss him a lot because he had a lot of interesting things to say about a lot of places where he and I both ride (never met him, however), but that posting style was really a hindrance to conversation. His insistence on it was quixotic. It didn't look like a conversation, it looked like an overlong email chain with all the random disorganization that entailed. I'd love for him to come back, but just stick to one thread at a time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-23-23, 11:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I miss him a lot because he had a lot of interesting things to say about a lot of places where he and I both ride (never met him, however), but that posting style was really a hindrance to conversation. His insistence on it was quixotic. It didn't look like a conversation, it looked like an overlong email chain with all the random disorganization that entailed. I'd love for him to come back, but just stick to one thread at a time.
I dont think a word could better describe my thoughts on this. Nailed it.
Old 02-23-23, 12:31 PM
tomato coupe

His posts were like my Corgi at the dog park -- both displayed an irrational need to organize everything.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-23-23, 01:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Multi-quote is a nice feature. Like anything else, it can be abused. I'm not a big fan of someone making a series of posts responding to one quote at a time.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-23-23, 03:54 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Multi-quote is a nice feature. Like anything else, it can be abused. I'm not a big fan of someone making a series of posts responding to one quote at a time.
Off topic, but I notice you have a blue star next to your name while others have a red star and others have a shirt icon. What do those mean. Are they all mods?
Old 02-23-23, 05:00 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Lombard
Off topic, but I notice you have a blue star next to your name while others have a red star and others have a shirt icon. What do those mean. Are they all mods?
Mark of the devil?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-24-23, 09:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Yellow jersey icon means paying member. Red star means obsolete paying member (they paid in the early days of the forum and don't have to do it again). A single purple star means moderator and 3 purple stars means admin. You can also find some people with an eagle next to their yellow jersey which is the Sheldon Brown award for being helpful. I only typed this out because I like saying "obsolete paying member."

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Mark of the devil?
That too. I try to pretend it's not a curse.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-24-23, 11:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Yellow jersey icon means paying member. Red star means obsolete paying member (they paid in the early days of the forum and don't have to do it again). A single purple star means moderator and 3 purple stars means admin. You can also find some people with an eagle next to their yellow jersey which is the Sheldon Brown award for being helpful. I only typed this out because I like saying "obsolete paying member."
Here I was thinking you just like to be helpful!
Old 02-24-23, 11:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts

That too. I try to pretend it's not a curse.
That's a relief. I thought my red star meant that you'd found out I was a sleeper agent for Communist China.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.