Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New wheel installation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New wheel installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 08:16 PM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
New wheel installation

I just bought an RS100 and it’ll be here soon. Since i’m using a 10 speed cassette, i’ll be adding the spacer provided. Do i need to re-index the rd after installing?
Old 02-23-23, 09:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
If your bike was set up already, then shouldn't have to adjust the shifting.
Old 02-23-23, 10:06 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If your bike was set up already, then shouldn't have to adjust the shifting.
Stock wheel is 10 speed. I ask coz the last time i tried replacing the stock wheels, while the 2nd hand wheels i got fit correctly with the spacer and there is no play, the shifting was horrible. I ended up returning it, and when i put the stock wheels back in, shifting was good. I didn’t get to know what the problem was with the 2nd hand wheels, why shifting was horrible.
Old 02-23-23, 10:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Stock wheel is 10 speed. I ask coz the last time i tried replacing the stock wheels, while the 2nd hand wheels i got fit correctly with the spacer and there is no play, the shifting was horrible. I ended up returning it, and when i put the stock wheels back in, shifting was good. I didn’t get to know what the problem was with the 2nd hand wheels, why shifting was horrible.
The spacer aligns everything so the new wheel is the same as your current wheel. No shift adjusting should then be needed.
But things happen- so if shifting is slightly off, turn the RD barrel once or twice in whichever direction aligns the RD with the cassette and go ride.
It's a really minor issue, if it becomes an issue.
Old 02-23-23, 10:53 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The spacer aligns everything so the new wheel is the same as your current wheel. No shift adjusting should then be needed.
But things happen- so if shifting is slightly off, turn the RD barrel once or twice in whichever direction aligns the RD with the cassette and go ride.
It's a really minor issue, if it becomes an issue.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 02-24-23, 12:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'd expect to do a little tweaking, as when swapping any wheel. There's always small variances.
Old 02-24-23, 06:39 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'd expect to do a little tweaking, as when swapping any wheel. There's always small variances.
Would it be better to also put new cogs on new wheels?
Old 02-24-23, 07:42 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
It seems like every time I swap chains or remove the rear wheel to repair a flat I have to do a little tweaking on the rear DR to get things back to smooth shifting. It only takes a second on the barrel adjuster. On your last question, if I were replacing cogs with new I would also replace the chain at the same time.
Old 02-24-23, 09:11 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Would it be better to also put new cogs on new wheels?
Not unless the old ones are worn. The standard way to check for worn cogs is to install a new chain, go for a ride, and press hard on the pedals in your regularly used cogs. If the chain jumps, then the cassette is worn. That said, if the cassette is not badly worn you can often "bed in" a new chain in a couple hundred miles and it won't skip.
Old 02-24-23, 10:08 PM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Not unless the old ones are worn. The standard way to check for worn cogs is to install a new chain, go for a ride, and press hard on the pedals in your regularly used cogs. If the chain jumps, then the cassette is worn. That said, if the cassette is not badly worn you can often "bed in" a new chain in a couple hundred miles and it won't skip.
Cogs aren’t worn. The chain, i’ll probably replace in a few months. I shouldn’t have returned the ultegra 10 speed cogs that came with the 2nd hand wheelset i bought before. Got the cogs for just 20 bucks, barely used. But it’s 11-30t. Mine is tiagra 12-28t. Anyway, if i replace my cogs anytime i decide, can i use something like that, an 11-30t or whatever gearing as long as it’s 10 speed too? Or would this cause some issue?

Last edited by iamLefty; 02-24-23 at 10:12 PM.