Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Cycling dies a slow death...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Cycling dies a slow death...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 01:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,384 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
In 1980 I ran into a belgian-block curb, went over the bars, knocked myself out, and cracked C6. I've had neck pain ever since, at times severe enough to keep me off the bike, but usually manageable with PT and anti-inflammatories (though I've had to cut back on those in the last year due to troubling kidney values). As a result, I need my bars at least level with the saddle or 1 or 2 cm higher. I really don't care how that might look to others, particularly those who care far more about aesthetics than actual riding.
Amen brother.
Old 11-04-22, 04:21 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
In 1980 I ran into a belgian-block curb, went over the bars, knocked myself out, and cracked C6. I've had neck pain ever since, at times severe enough to keep me off the bike, but usually manageable with PT and anti-inflammatories (though I've had to cut back on those in the last year due to troubling kidney values). As a result, I need my bars at least level with the saddle or 1 or 2 cm higher. I really don't care how that might look to others, particularly those who care far more about aesthetics than actual riding.
Beautiful sentiment!
Old 11-04-22, 06:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
There's a surprising amount of discussion around the hobby that is allegedly dying a slow death.

-Kurt

Old 11-04-22, 07:53 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
The numbers of enthusiasts may be waning, but it's never going to die. There will come a day - perhaps 50 years from now when there are more remaining 1970s road bikes than 2010s because... steel.

I hope to be around and cogent enough to laugh about it after I take one of my steeds for a spin.
Old 11-04-22, 09:27 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Darn! I was just getting going!

Likes For Fredo76:
Old 11-04-22, 09:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Darn! I was just getting going!

Sorry but I can’t resist! This reminds me of the picture challenge you would see in magazines, please list 10 things which don’t look correct in this photo.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-04-22, 10:21 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Sorry but I can’t resist! This reminds me of the picture challenge you would see in magazines, please list 10 things which don’t look correct in this photo.
It's all relative, I suppose.

"I am the sole authority on the correctness of my bicycle."
Old 11-05-22, 08:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yeah that makes total sense and it's great that you are still usually able to ride.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-05-22, 11:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
personally I like vintage frames with modern components, so am more concerned by the move to all disc braking and all electronic shifting at the high end.

but if you look a at the vendors mentioned there is still a ton of support for the vintage ethos

RH: alloy cranks, berthoud saddles for starters, fenders and the tires
VeloOrange; Super nice long reach dual pivots that will let me do bigger tires than 28mm should I choose
Rivendell: is 99% bringing out a nice silver derailler

I think the more the big guys move away from "vintage" the more it opens things up for small producers (with probably higher prices)

I think the vintage ethos and aesthetics will live and inspire, but not necessarily be slavish identical to the past

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-06-22, 08:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I've had nothing as traumatic as that, but the arthritis in my neck has advanced enough that I can't tolerate a deep reach to the handlebar drops. Thank goodness for Nitto "Technomic" stems.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-06-22, 11:00 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
This thread is dying pretty slowly...

Vintage cycling will always be around. It's just that the vintage bikes will be completely different. I mean, there aren't a lot of us using an old penny-farthing as a vintage commuter these days, amiright?

DD
Old 11-06-22, 11:59 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I wonder to what extent events like the World Wars I and II affected availability of older bikes.

I wasn't around then but have read of steel and rubber drives and how Americans contributed everything they could. It's not hard to imagine lots of penny farthings and Wright Cycles and pre-war Schwinns being melted down. This leads to a type of scarcity not yet seen for more recent vintages. The closest thing is the utter disrespect for the bike boom era "gas pipe specials". Despite the millions made, I suspect they will eventually be scarce as hen's teeth.

I could be wrong.
Old 11-06-22, 12:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
....I mean, there aren't a lot of us using an old penny-farthing as a vintage commuter these days, amiright?

DD
oh man, then you could see eye to eye with a F150 driver!!

I've been told that one of the locals (who is still active in the bike business) spent a lot of his youth riding an Ordinary around instead of a conventional road bike. Not sure why...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-06-22, 12:22 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
They were originally lugged. I had one for awhile.

Wasn’t that made when Chris owned VO? Why did he leave anyway?
Old 11-06-22, 12:49 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Remember when an air cooled VW was in front of every other house on your street?
Admittedly that was 50 years ago.
Today there are still specialty mail order concerns that carry almost every part for VWs. Most of those quality German parts are now made in China. I am sure It’s a prosperous niche market.
Most likely main street auto shops would turn you away because the old school tech on VWs is so out of step with what’s on today’s vehicles.
Our bikes are more or less the same.
I can see a day coming when the bike shop
kid answers , “True a wheel? We don’t do that here. I remember an old guy who could do that. Last I hear he died from the epidemic.”

Last edited by embankmentlb; 11-06-22 at 12:55 PM.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 11-06-22, 01:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Writenride
Wasn’t that made when Chris owned VO? Why did he leave anyway?
If you looked closely, his M.O. was to start and get a business established then sell it off.
was Kayaks before bikes.

not a bad approach.
Old 11-06-22, 01:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If you looked closely, his M.O. was to start and get a business established then sell it off.
was Kayaks before bikes.

not a bad approach.
out of curiosity (sea kayaking sucks up any of my play $$ that bike don't) what was his kayak business?

Old 11-06-22, 01:37 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I wonder to what extent events like the World Wars I and II affected availability of older bikes.

I wasn't around then but have read of steel and rubber drives and how Americans contributed everything they could. It's not hard to imagine lots of penny farthings and Wright Cycles and pre-war Schwinns being melted down. This leads to a type of scarcity not yet seen for more recent vintages. The closest thing is the utter disrespect for the bike boom era "gas pipe specials". Despite the millions made, I suspect they will eventually be scarce as hen's teeth.

I could be wrong.
I think you are right and a World War is not even needed for that.

1., In countries where scrapyards pay you for the steel and not asking you to pay for your things to leave them there, bike-related theft is generally more common. By nature bicycles are the perfect victims of that kind of crime, unlock, casually ride away, 2 corners from the spot no one cares about you. At the yard, the same, no one bats an eye over 100kg steel or alu frames if others cash in tons of mixed stuff.

2., many owners - of anything not necessarily bikes - have no clue what they have, and think if its old, no one needs them anymore, since everybody wants the new stuff in a digital world. This can be sad, if they also visit the scrapyard, or Christmas for friends/relatives/people on the street if they put out for "free to pick." I saw this with my neighbor whom I begged and offered help to try to sell his 50's Leica before he is forcing me to '"take it or its going in the trash, I'm cleaning the garage today, so now or never". German guy, was aware that Leica was a better brand back when he bought it new, but still insisted on the "no one wants a film camera these days". Same with street picked bikes, where I left my number behind with a note saying I picked it, call me if it wasn't there for this - I couldn't let them being kicked around on the street after 2 weeks, so decided to save them. Lady called, she was super happy that someone other than the city or the metal junk collectors took it and gave me another one, so I got a pair of almost NOS 70's/80' German time machines.

3., There are times every now and then, when certain trends change the consumer thinking in a way, that it renders the current tech almost immediately obsolete, or at least its financial value to zero. We tend to think, that because something was mass produced, it is and will remain endlessly available, we don't take the chance - actually might not even care - at the moment hen we could get these for cheap if not free, and maybe we only notice them decades later when the only nice examples exist are in the hands of collectors or "dealers" who were smart and stocked up betting on the future giving us the painful memories, when we could have these as well for dirt cheap. For most objects in their lives there was a point, when they became not needed, some are rising later to the desired unobtanium status thanks to some fashionable trend, some not. What I personally find interesting, that often this has nothing to do with how good/bad/cheap or expensive the item was when it was new.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 11-06-22, 04:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
Is Rene rolling in his grave. Is Singer laughing.
More likely rolling their eyes at us clinging to 80-year-old technologies, while they pursued innovative materials and designs in their day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-06-22, 10:12 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
If "not intended for fenders or racks" is now considered an innovative design, then what is the world coming to?

Anyways a lot of this modern stuff is just old stuff warmed-over. Take the Bayliss Wiley freehub, of 1938, for example. Give Shimano a few years and they'll be introducing the straight-cage front derailleur and non-slant parallelogram rear, once AI has been trained for the perfect overshift. Jan will start saying that chain gap doesn't matter! And I'm sure someone already did electric shifting in the '50s using leftover WWII mercury switches, relays, and thyratron tubes from a scrap B29s and Teletype machines to drive a Le Cyclo helix off of a zinc carbon photoflash battery. Sold the patent to Mavic, which they developed into Mavic Zap, and the rest is history I suppose...

Last edited by scarlson; 11-06-22 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-06-22, 11:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by scarlson
... then what is the world coming to?
Hopefully that was a rhetorical question. From another forum:
My bike was hacked by North Korea and the rear derailleur is now mining bitcoin!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 11-06-22, 11:22 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Soon to be seen in Shimano's technical documentation:
"--XTR powered by RTX --
Nvidia RTX technology allows the new plunger-type single-pulley XTR rear mech to calculate the perfect overshift in nanoseconds - every time".
Mechanically, of course, the new XTR derailleur resembles a 1936 Simplex Champion.

Last edited by scarlson; 11-07-22 at 08:08 AM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 11-06-22, 11:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
If "not intended for fenders or racks" is now considered an innovative design, then what is the world coming to?

Anyways a lot of this modern stuff is just old stuff warmed-over. Take the Bayliss Wiley freehub, of 1938, for example. Give Shimano a few years and they'll be introducing the straight-cage front derailleur and non-slant parallelogram rear, once AI has been trained for the perfect overshift. Jan will start saying that chain gap doesn't matter! And I'm sure someone already did electric shifting in the '50s using leftover WWII mercury switches, relays, and thyratron tubes from a scrap B29s and Teletype machines to drive a Le Cyclo helix off of a zinc carbon photoflash battery. Sold the patent to Mavic, which they developed into Mavic Zap, and the rest is history I suppose...
no they used an Enigma mechanism but how it worked was a secret.
Old 11-07-22, 06:08 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by repechage
no they used an Enigma mechanism but how it worked was a secret.
You're saying Axis technology gave us di2?!
Makes me wonder what we were fighting for..
Last time I checked, the Spitfire was made of 531 and controlled with cables.

Last edited by scarlson; 11-07-22 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 07:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
It's been an awfully long time since VO sold a lugged bike. I thought they had an American builder making them and I can't imagine with their lack of brand image as a premium brand either entity in that relationship could make any money. And the Asian factories that allow VO to make money just don't do lugged for the most part.

Doesn't RH offer frames? They had that special run of lugged frames recently, which as I recall sold out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.