Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 05:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese

That's the point. You can take a wide variety of existing bicycle designs and put the right tires on it, and call it a gravel bike. That's what Surly is doing. "Gravel bike" is a made-up term, not a new classification of bicycle that was suddenly developed. We've always had gravel bikes, it's just that nobody called them that. But if marketing can convince anyone that gravel bikes are a new, unique type of bicycle, more power to them. Whatever sells bikes.
I see you are doing your usual thing here i.e. talking BS about something you know very little about. People will notice.
Old 02-28-23, 05:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
As I said, I don't think the term Gravel Bike is used to describe any of their models. If I'm wrong, please post the link, or at least tell us which of their bikes they are actually calling a Gravel Bike. I didn't see it.
Um ... yeah ... he did.
Old 02-28-23, 05:23 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
.... Even if I was riding 50/50 road/gravel I would still buy a gravel bike and a second set of wheels for dedicated road riding......
Or, if the marketing term "Gravel bike" hadn't been developed, you could flip that around, and buy a touring bike and a second set of wheels for gravel. Neither approach is wrong, but you're recognizing that it's mostly about the tires. The industry doesn't want you to think that way. They want you to think that even if you already have a touring bike, you still need another, new bike if you want to ride on gravel. Take an existing bicycle and just put different wheels on it? Ridiculous - you need a whole new bike. Please visit our "Gravel Bikes" section.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 02-28-23, 05:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Exactly. I had already pointed out the descriptions, and that they are found under the Pavement Bike section. In other words, put fat tires on a pavement bike and call it a gravel bike. Now you're getting it.
Dude .. . STOP.

The Surly website text calls the Preamblel a "Gravel Bike." The wopds are right there.

You are doing again what you have done int he past ... you are clinging to a factually and demonstrably incorrect position and denying the facts ... even when they are literally posted right in front of you.

It is a dishonest and a dishonorable position to take.. please stop.

Surly itself calls the Preamble a gravel bike.

Get over your hang-up with this notion that "gravel bike" is a "fad" or a "marketing term" and "real bike makers" don't acknowledge it.

Just grow up. You are embarrassing yourself.

I say this out of care, not to ridicule you---you are making yourself look ridiculous. You have proven that when you choose to you can engage in intelligent exchanges and explain your insights, which benefits everyone. Yo also sometimes choose to follow a dead rat down a rathole for no good reason, and to deny obvious facts (and the actual text in Surly's description of the Preambe, on Surly;'s website, shouldn't be deniable ,... but you keep doing it.

Please ... just stop.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 05:44 AM
PeteHski

Or, if the marketing term "Gravel bike" hadn't been developed, you could flip that around, and buy a touring bike and a second set of wheels for gravel. Neither approach is wrong, but you're recognizing that it's mostly about the tires. The industry doesn't want you to think that way. They want you to think that even if you already have a touring bike, you still need another, new bike if you want to ride on gravel. Take an existing bicycle and just put different wheels on it? Ridiculous - you need a whole new bike. Please visit our "Gravel Bikes" section.
I'll re-word this for you:-

If gravel bikes had not been developed, I would have to compromise and buy a touring bike with wide tyre clearance and a second set of wheels/tyres for gravel.

Fortunately we have more choice today so I can buy whatever bike does the job I want it to do the best. Some overlap in a bike's capabilities is inevitable. For me personally, gravel bikes actually have the most versatility of all modern bike genres, especially with a couple of wheel sets. I did briefly consider buying a gravel bike instead of an endurance road bike, but I don't have enough local access to gravel roads to really make use of the off-road capability. I'm absolutely not interested in touring bikes btw.
Old 02-28-23, 06:07 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Dude .. . STOP.
Please ... just stop.
Stop what? Stop presenting the other side of the debate, that "Gravel Bike" is a made-up marketing term with no real distinction? I'm not the only one that thinks that, and I would say I'm in pretty good company.

It really seems to bother you that you don't get to be the arbiter of what is or is not a gravel bike.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-28-23 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-28-23, 06:14 AM
PeteHski

Stop what? Stop presenting the other side of the debate, that "Gravel Bike" is a made-up marketing term with no real distinction? That idea is not my own, and I would say I'm in pretty good company.

It really bothers you that you don't get to be the arbiter of what is or isn't a gravel bike, doesn't it?
So there we have it folks. An entire genre of modern biking is just a made-up marketing term to sell us more bikes. I'm wondering what "good company" you are in here?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-28-23, 06:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
The paradox of ignorance....
Old 02-28-23, 06:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The paradox of ignorance....
You mean a bit like being dead? i.e. it's only an issue for everyone else.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-28-23, 06:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Dude .. . STOP.

The Surly website text calls the Preamblel a "Gravel Bike." The wopds are right there.

You are doing again what you have done int he past ... you are clinging to a factually and demonstrably incorrect position and denying the facts ... even when they are literally posted right in front of you.

It is a dishonest and a dishonorable position to take.. please stop.

Surly itself calls the Preamble a gravel bike.

Get over your hang-up with this notion that "gravel bike" is a "fad" or a "marketing term" and "real bike makers" don't acknowledge it.

Just grow up. You are embarrassing yourself.

I say this out of care, not to ridicule you---you are making yourself look ridiculous. You have proven that when you choose to you can engage in intelligent exchanges and explain your insights, which benefits everyone. Yo also sometimes choose to follow a dead rat down a rathole for no good reason, and to deny obvious facts (and the actual text in Surly's description of the Preambe, on Surly;'s website, shouldn't be deniable ,... but you keep doing it.

Please ... just stop.

The reason he's on my ignore list is because he has decided that the forum is nothing but a competitive debate site, and all he's concerned with is tactics. He is employing a technique known as the "squirrel cage", when you know you have no real case, you draw your opponent into arguing some inane side point. In this case, he has drawn several people into an argument about the placement of the word " gravel" on the web page of a second-tier manufacturer/marketer. Who bloody cares?

Of course "gravel" is a made-up term, so is "mountain", " cruiser", BMX, racing, time trial, or any other word, including bicycle. The question for a consumer is whether the label helps them select a bike that's suitable for the use case. Hybrid fell out of favor because it was being used for just about every flat bar bike that wasn't a cruiser or a mountain bike. I thought a couple years ago that something similar might happen to the word gravel, but I'm pleased to be wrong about that. The people on this thread demonstrate a consensus on what a gravel bike is and what it's good for, and there's a couple of contrarians who are basically nitpicking to contradict that. OP wanted to troll the nitpick fight, I say just ignore it and let people who are enjoying their gravel bikes have the thread. Their pictures are way better.
Old 02-28-23, 06:45 AM
Maelochs

Yeah, I have given up on him in this thread.

I was going to ask him if he was a lawyer, because he tries to logic-chop, squirm out of some definitions, create other definitions, and such. But if he were a lawyer he'd be too broke to even ride a bike ....

(I actually posted a question about what bikes he owns and rides, and how he likes to ride ... but the site ate it. )

Yeah ... he is not an honest person, and he somehow still thinks he can fool people with word games. Sad ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 06:45 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The reason he's on my ignore list is because he has decided that the forum is nothing but a competitive debate site, and all he's concerned with is tactics. He is employing a technique known as the "squirrel cage", when you know you have no real case, you draw your opponent into arguing some inane side point. In this case, he has drawn several people into an argument about the placement of the word " gravel" on the web page of a second-tier manufacturer/marketer. Who bloody cares?
I'm not convinced he actually realises when he has no real case. That could just be clever trolling in playing dumb, but I just don't think he's that clever. Time will probably reveal.
Old 02-28-23, 06:48 AM
PeteHski

Yeah, I have given up on him in this thread.

I was going to ask him if he was a lawyer, because he tries to logic-chop, squirm out of some definitions, create other definitions, and such. But if he were a lawyer he'd be too broke to even ride a bike ....

(I actually posted a question about what bikes he owns and rides, and how he likes to ride ... but the site ate it. )

Yeah ... he is not an honest person, and he somehow still thinks he can fool people with word games. Sad ......
This made me LOL! I did also wonder how you could make a living with this attitude. But then some of the stuff I hear people state IRL as "fact" is pretty ludicrous.
Old 02-28-23, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm not convinced he actually realises when he has no real case. That could just be clever trolling in playing dumb, but I just don't think he's that clever. Time will probably reveal.

I've long ago come to the conclusion that when you can't tell whether the endless loop is resulting from cluelessness or cleverness, the conversation needs to be over. At some point, it just becomes obvious that all the other guy is trying to do is outlast you. Walking away is problematic when there's actually a serious issue involved--e.g., someone pushing really bad medical advice--but the stuff this guy obsesses on is uniformly trivial.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-28-23, 07:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This isn't really how lawyers argue. It's more like the fanfic version. If I tried his tactics IRL, all it would accomplish is getting a judge to yell at me and/or have another lawyer slam the phone on me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-28-23, 08:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
We used to call it cyclocross
Cyclocross and gravel racing are two very different disciplines.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-28-23, 09:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Stop what? Stop presenting the other side of the debate, that "Gravel Bike" is a made-up marketing term with no real distinction? I'm not the only one that thinks that, and I would say I'm in pretty good company..
No real distinction? Read post 92 where I offered some of the differences between a Cannondale "endurance road" bike and their "gravel bike". I get that you hate the term "gravel". I don't know why this term is so upsetting to some people. What if they called it a road worthy mountain bike? Or a rough country touring bike?

And how dare they offer products people might want to buy? How can there be a debate about whether these things exist? They do, people ride them and have fun on them and in many cases they are awesome.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-28-23, 09:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Of course "gravel" is a made-up term, so is "mountain", " cruiser", BMX, racing, time trial, or any other word, including bicycle. The question for a consumer is whether the label helps them select a bike that's suitable for the use case. Hybrid fell out of favor because it was being used for just about every flat bar bike that wasn't a cruiser or a mountain bike. I thought a couple years ago that something similar might happen to the word gravel, but I'm pleased to be wrong about that. The people on this thread demonstrate a consensus on what a gravel bike is and what it's good for, and there's a couple of contrarians who are basically nitpicking to contradict that. OP wanted to troll the nitpick fight, I say just ignore it and let people who are enjoying their gravel bikes have the thread. Their pictures are way better.
In mountain biking there are several sub-sets, different names for different types of riding and the (sometimes slightly) different bikes used for different rides.

We have cross country, trail, enduro, freeride, downhill, and now something called down country. What's in a name? The important thing is to know what the terms mean to those involved. I wouldn't take a cross country bike on an enduro course. Some people could, but that's not the point. When I tell other mountain bikers about a freeride bike, they know it's a big, heavy, long travel bike capable of bashing downhill on huge jumps or whatever.

Most people here know that a gravel bike is generally going to be a road style bike with very slack geometry, low gears, maybe extra eyelets for water cages or bags, and a stout, abuse worthy frame.

Why anyone would deny the existence of these bikes is beyond me.
Old 02-28-23, 09:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
When we see some weirdo babbling incoherently on the sidewalk, we all look away and walk faster. But on BF, people stop to debate with the crazy person.

So, who's really crazy?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-23, 09:44 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Koyote
When we see some weirdo babbling incoherently on the sidewalk, we all look away and walk faster. But on BF, people stop to debate with the crazy person.

So, who's really crazy?
When did I ever claim not to be crazy .... I said i was honest and occasionally logical.

"An this be madness, yet there be method to it."
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 09:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
When did I ever claim not to be crazy .... I said i was honest and occasionally logical.

"An this be madness, yet there be method to it."
It's interesting that you assume that I was referring to you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-23, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote

So, who's really crazy?

The person who notes the craziness of responding to a crazy person?

Infinite regression alert!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-28-23, 10:29 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Cyclocross and gravel racing are two very different disciplines.
Well, excuse me! (Take that with a healthy dose of sarcasm and WGAS).
Old 02-28-23, 10:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Has anyone ever been banned for outright stupidity?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-28-23, 10:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Has anyone ever been banned for outright stupidity?
Not in so many words, but I have my suspicions.

Now I'll see if anyone has any new ideas about how to carry a golf club on a bike, cough, cough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.