Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 12:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I do think that Surly sells to a more experienced and sophisticated customer, who can see through most marketing jargon and would maybe even roll their eyes if Surly started hawking "gravel bikes".
How do you come up with this stuff? I'm active on a few different bike forums, and on "post your gravel bike" threads, you can bet that someone will be proudly showing off their Surly.
Old 02-28-23, 12:37 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes. I remember all the carbon-framed bikes with drop bars, disc brakes, 1x drivetrains, mounting points for a multitude of bottles and bags, and clearance for 50mm tires from my youth.
Well, therein lies the heart of the matter perhaps. That are those that are trying to position themselves as the arbiter of what is and what is not a "gravel bike". I imagine they would love it if we posted our gravel builds so they could weigh in. "Yep - that's a gravel bike" or "No, you got it wrong."

And why do I necessarily need mounts for bags, on a bike used for riding on gravel roads? What's the connection between road surface and carrying capacity? Several of my gravel bikes have limited capacity to add bags, but I ride them on gravel roads. And none of mine are 1x, so are those also not gravel bikes? What about the fact that all of my gravel bikes are steel? It sounds like you would say those are not gravel bikes either. In fact, according to a small handful of people here, I don't have any gravel bikes at all, despite the fact that 90% of my riding is dirt roads and they are specifically built to be optimized for that.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-28-23 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 12:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
The bike barely matters, it’s the rider that does ....
which is why so many Tour de France stages are won by riders on downhill bikes, while the majority of downhill races are won by riders ion rigid tandems ... it is the rider, not the bike.

Hello, people. Practice with me:

I Was Wrong About That.

Really easy to say, and even easier when everyone else already knows it.

I know the first couple times can seem unnatural, but start using it whenever it is true and see what happens.
Old 02-28-23, 12:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Aside from disc brakes and carbon fiber frames, that sounds a lot like early club racers.
Do you have an example of what an "early club racer" looks like? This is not a category I'm familiar with. None of the road bikes I raced (starting in 1992) would do very well on the routes where I typically ride my gravel bike. My MTB would handle them, but I'm not a fan of its performance on the paved sections of those rides.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-28-23 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 12:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
If the thought process wasn't so scattered and incoherent, I'd think it was an AI penning posts again.
Old 02-28-23, 12:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
And why do I necessarily need mounts for bags, on a bike used for riding on gravel roads?
last chance for you to grow up ...

It has been said, repeatedly, that most gravel rides tend to be long, and there tend not o be convenience stores on grave roads. Thus it is wise to bring all food and drink one might need on a multi-hour ride. Sometimes auto access is limited or even forbidden---a lot of the reason people like gravel is they can ride swiftly as on pavement bt not have to dodge cellphone-zombies. This means that if something breaks, you had best be able to fix it or at least have a spare or Something because it could be a very long walk in cleats to get to somewhere someone could rescue you. And since the weather might change ... or you might start early in the morning or ride into the evening ... it makes sense to bring an extra layer or a place to stow a layer you have removed.

People have said all this but you don't really want to learn, you want to pretend you are right.

If you Really wanted answers to your questions you would do what I suggested earlier---google local gravel riding clubs, visit their Facebook pages. Go ask them what is wrong with them, that they bought so much hype. Go ask them why they are not riding 20-year-old touring bikes or early 80s road bikes. Go find out for yourself, from the people who actually ride gravel regularly.

That is what you would do if you really wanted to know.

As it stands, I am not sure if you are desperately in need of attention or have a humiliation kink,. Either way, I am tired of it all.

If you are honest, go learn. If not, go away.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I halfheartedly apologize to anyone who felt that I “accused” them of anything; though I will stand by the points I made, as the fact of the matter is that you can stuff the widest tires you can on your road bike, CX bike, TT bike, track bike, whatever, and call it a “gravel bike”. John Tomac rode a “gravel bike” when he stuck a Cinelli drop bar on his Yeti. It’s all pretty much the same if the frame can fit the tires and you don’t want folks to think you’re on a flat bar boardwalk “hybrid”. You can do 100% of the riding you want with a bike that existed long before the marketing term “gravel bike” came into being. Years ago, right after I moved to Philly, I rode a DeRosa “gravel bike” up and down the Wissahickon because I could.
The bike barely matters, it’s the rider that does, but if the placebo effect is that strong and a rider needs the label to justify their expenditure so they can tackle that dirt road, more power to them. I’m sorry y’all may feel accused but you can also ride on the same trails and roads using a British 3 speed if you were so inclined.
This is the same debate I’ve seen about cameras, when the end product is a photograph, the gear doesn’t matter very much (the exception being cameras with lens and/or film plane movements, and underwater gear).
This is a really dumb argument--a bike is just an assemblage of components. People find components with certain characteristics more useful for some types of riding than others, and develop a short-hand term for that type of assemblage. You can write off any difference you want as "placebo effect", but you're going to need to prove that. I could probably ride gravel on a old Schwinn Stingray, but I'm pretty sure I'll be faster and more comfortable on about a zillion other types of bikes, and the relevant differences are not going to be limited to tire width. I'm going to be damned uncomfortable and inefficient on the Stingray, there's a huge amount of room for improvement. There's no reason to assume this isn't true for bicycles higher up on the suitability scale--a tweak here and a tweak there can continue to produce actual performance improvements and/or comfort When you buy a whole bike, best to have a few or many of those tweaks already incorporated..

BTW, the camera thing is complete nonsense--you're literally saying that the camera gear doesn't matter except when it does. The fact that you CAN take an excellent photo with a rudimentary camera does not mean that that camera is suited to take all sorts of pictures that would require more specialized lenses and/or exposure level adjustments.
Old 02-28-23, 12:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Well, therein lies the heart of the matter perhaps. That are those that are trying to position themselves as the arbiter of what is and what is not a "gravel bike". I imagine they would love it if we posted our gravel builds so they could weigh in. "Yep - that's a gravel bike" or "No, you got it wrong."

And why do I necessarily need mounts for bags, on a bike used for riding on gravel roads? What's the connection between road surface and carrying capacity? Several of my gravel bikes have limited capacity to add bags, but I ride them on gravel roads. And none of mine are 1x, so are those also not gravel bikes? What about the fact that all of my gravel bikes are steel? It sounds like you would say those are not gravel bikes either. In fact, according to a small handful of people here, I don't have any gravel bikes at all, despite the fact that 90% of my riding is dirt roads and they are specifically built to be optimized for that.
My point was that some of the features found on some (not all) bikes in the current gravel bike category haven't "been there all along". As I have said multiple times, there are variations within the gravel bike category, serving different needs of people who use their bikes in different ways. What is necessary/preferred for one person might not be for another.
Old 02-28-23, 12:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
When did I ever claim not to be crazy .... I said i was honest and occasionally logical.

"An this be madness, yet there be method to it."
"Too much sanity may be madness! And maddest of all - to see life as it is and not as it should be!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-28-23, 01:34 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
This is my gravel bike. Took the suspension fork off and replaced it with a carbon fork. Replaced the 29 x 2.4 tires with 29 x 2.0 tires. POOF!!! Instant gravel bike!!! Consider yourself enlightened!!!

More stable on the loose gravel than any drop bar gravel bike and much easier to control than any drop bar gravel bike.

Likes For prj71:
Old 02-28-23, 02:10 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
My point was that some of the features found on some (not all) bikes in the current gravel bike category haven't "been there all along". As I have said multiple times, there are variations within the gravel bike category, serving different needs of people who use their bikes in different ways. What is necessary/preferred for one person might not be for another.
That's just crazy talk. Next you'll be telling us that there are variations in the road bike category (aero? lightweight? endurance?) and the mountain bike category (hardtail? full suspension?).
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-28-23, 02:20 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This is my gravel bike. Took the suspension fork off and replaced it with a carbon fork. Replaced the 29 x 2.4 tires with 29 x 2.0 tires. POOF!!! Instant gravel bike!!! Consider yourself enlightened!!!

More stable on the loose gravel than any drop bar gravel bike and much easier to control than any drop bar gravel bike.

Nice Bike!!

I wonder why the racers are not riding that setup?
Old 02-28-23, 02:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Jughed
Nice Bike!!

Gearing, aerodynamics, comfort, rolling efficiency.
Old 02-28-23, 02:30 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Jughed
Nice Bike!!

It lacks top end speed because I'm limited to how large of chain ring will fit on the front. Some gravel bikes will come as 2 x 10 (46/30T) or 1 x 11 (40T).

This bike is a 1 x 11 but currently will not fit a 40T chainring because it would hit the chainstay. It's maxed out at a 32T right now.

That's ok. I'm not really doing any gravel racing with this bike. Just for my own personal off-road gravel pleasure riding.
Old 02-28-23, 02:31 PM
prj71

Gearing, aerodynamics, comfort, rolling efficiency.
I'll agree with all but one of those....Comfort. This thing is way more comfortable than my road bike or any any drop bar gravel bike I have tried.
Old 02-28-23, 02:36 PM
Jeff Neese

How do you come up with this stuff? I'm active on a few different bike forums, and on "post your gravel bike" threads, you can bet that someone will be proudly showing off their Surly.
No doubt. Sorry if I'm missing your point. I don't have a Surly, but I'd post my bikes there too, along with descriptions like "This one is a 1989 Trek 970 rigid mountain with Albatross bars, this other one is a Trek 750 hybrid with drop bars, and this other one over here is a 1993 Rockhopper. I'd describe the tires I used, the gearing I chose, etc. And the guy who posted a Surly would say "nice bikes." I would return the compliment.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-28-23 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 02:45 PM
Jeff Neese

....As I have said multiple times, there are variations within the gravel bike category, serving different needs of people who use their bikes in different ways. What is necessary/preferred for one person might not be for another.
Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. That's been my point all along. The categorization of any bikes as "gravel bikes" is arbitrary. Whether it's Hybrid, or Urban, or Commuter bikes, all these marketing terms come and go. A gravel bike is whatever suits your needs on the gravel roads you ride.

I half expect some of the self-appointed "experts" here to now come along and tell us what is, and is not, a gravel surface and what is true gravel riding. We'll probably be told that a hard-pack dirt road isn't gravel riding, or a path off through the woods isn't either.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-28-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 02:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by prj71
I'll agree with all but one of those....Comfort. This thing is way more comfortable than my road bike or any any drop bar gravel bike I have tried.
Run what works for you. Many people prefer the variety of hand/body positions afforded by a drop bar, not just for comfort reasons, but also for aero reasons.
Old 02-28-23, 03:08 PM
Jeff Neese

Run what works for you. Many people prefer the variety of hand/body positions afforded by a drop bar, not just for comfort reasons, but also for aero reasons.
With all the discussion about handlebars, I may have missed it but I haven't seen mention of anything other than drop bars and flat bars.

I have these Soma Oxfords (Nitto Albatross) on my 1989 Trek 970, and with these bars and Top Contact tires, it's just about the perfect gravel bike. They're really just mustache bars with longer ends. Search YouTube and there are a number of people that are using Mustache bars on their gravel bikes, and they do work really well. I use these wheels when there's not too much loose gravel and the dirt roads have been packed down. Otherwise I run Maxxis Ikons (which are a pretty fine gravel tire, in my experience).

The nice thing about mustache bars is that you can still have a "weight forward" riding position when you want it, but you have other hand positions as well. Climbing is better with your hands a little further back. I find them very comfortable. Wrist position is very natural.

Old 02-28-23, 03:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. That's been my point all along. The categorization of any bikes as "gravel bikes" is arbitrary.
Yet the mainstream market for "gravel bikes" is pretty consistent in what that definition entails. There are of course sub-categories, but if I go looking for a "gravel bike" I know pretty much how it will be specced for the task. It's no different to searching for a "road bike" or a "touring bike" in that respect.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-28-23, 03:13 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
With all the discussion about handlebars, I may have missed it but I haven't seen mention of anything other than drop bars and flat bars.

I have these Soma Oxfords (Nitto Albatross) on my 1989 Trek 970, and with these bars and Top Contact tires, it's just about the perfect gravel bike.
Your idea of a perfect gravel bike isn't everyone's idea of a perfect gravel bike. Maybe that's your issue here?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-28-23, 03:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Quite the opposite. It's not denying their existence, it's recognizing that they've been here all along.
But they haven't, not in their current form. It's as if I said enduro bikes have been here all along because some can ride an enduro course on a mountain bike from 1992. Sure, there is some overlap and differences are nuanced in some cases but just because you can put big tires on some c&v bike doesn't make it the same thing as a modern bike made specifically for that purpose.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-28-23, 03:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. That's been my point all along. The categorization of any bikes as "gravel bikes" is arbitrary. Whether it's Hybrid, or Urban, or Commuter bikes, all these marketing terms come and go. A gravel bike is whatever suits your needs on the gravel roads you ride.

I half expect some of the self-appointed "experts" here to now come along and tell us what is, and is not, a gravel surface and what is true gravel riding. We'll probably be told that a hard-pack dirt road isn't gravel riding, or a path off through the woods isn't either.
I don't see it as all that arbitrary. When we look at the bikes that people consider gravel bikes (or are marketed as such), we can identify common features. I don't see it being different than how we categorize road bikes, MTBs, track bikes, etc. Now, being that cyclists can sometimes be quirky folk, it's not unusual to see bikes that don't land fully in a named category (Surly loves those quirky folk). For example, prj71's bike is still (what I would consider) a MTB because of its frame design and gearing limitations, but has been improved for use on gravel (non-technical dirt) with tires that are lighter and more efficient, and a lighter rigid fork. I would expect it to serve the needs he has stated extremely well, and I think it's a pretty sweet machine. That said, that's just my opinion, and some of my reasons for having that opinion. I'm not an authority on anything.
Old 02-28-23, 03:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I have these Soma Oxfords (Nitto Albatross) on my 1989 Trek 970, and with these bars and Top Contact tires, it's just about the perfect gravel bike. They're really just mustache bars with longer ends. Search YouTube and there are a number of people that are using Mustache bars on their gravel bikes, and they do work really well. I use these wheels when there's not too much loose gravel and the dirt roads have been packed down. Otherwise I run Maxxis Ikons (which are a pretty fine gravel tire, in my experience).

The nice thing about mustache bars is that you can still have a "weight forward" riding position when you want it, but you have other hand positions as well. Climbing is better with your hands a little further back. I find them very comfortable. Wrist position is very natural.

Those are pretty cool-looking, but I would never consider them for the way I ride my gravel bike. If they work for you, rock on.

EDIT: My previous comment about handlebars was related to gravel racing, specifically. Drop bars are the predominant choice, for the reasons I mentioned.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-28-23 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-28-23, 03:34 PM
prj71

If I ever were to get what the current market calls a "gravel bike" for the purpose of racing or bike packing I would probably buy a Salsa Cutthroat, Fezzari Shafer or Specialized Diverge.

Last year I entered a gravel bike race and did it with my Trek Domane since it fits 700 x 40 tires. I outfitted it with Continental Terra Speed tires. There were times during the race where the gravel / forest roads were a little dicey and I wished that I had wider tires and flat bars, but then there were also few pavement sections of the race or gravement sections (really packed gravel) where I was glad I wasn't riding the bike I posted above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.