Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 03:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
What is really the point here?

Rydabent want (or claimed he wanted) to know about gravel bikes but he also came here certain that "gravel bike" was just some marketing BS.

People with their heads not up their posteriors, people who know gravel bikes, who know gravel riders, who ride gravel bikes, explained in great detail exactly what the term and the history of the generic class consisted of.

A few people famous for contributing only losses and suffering did their part.

As usual, the people who came here steeped in personal prejudice were completely unwilling to learn anything new, and thus completely unwilling to add anything except ignorance and negativity to the discussion. stretched the bounds of imagination to explain that words do not have meanings and that every type of bicycle ever imagined has already existed, existed hundreds of years ago, and nothing has been created or developed in the entire realm of bicycle design or manufacture or use in the last 100 years---while simultaneously denigrating which has been created or developed or invented in that period .....

Then ... lots more nonsense that words don't mean what the words say and that everybody who buys a certain brand is both illiterate and smarter than everyone else. That was rich.

Now we are hashing over ... what? Nothing. if I drive my car into water it is not a boat. Even if it an Amphicar, and doesn't sink, it is not a boat. But of course, "boat" and "car" are just marketing hype.

WHY DO WE BOTHER?

Can anything else substantive be added to this thread? The classes of both Cyclocross and gravel bikes have been amply described by people who know their stuff, (and denounced as fake by people who only know "stuff") .... the fact that people ride gravel and build or buy bikes for that purpose has been explained, references have been offered ... the people who will not acknowledge reality are not likely to anytime soon, and everyone else can only repeat themselves at this point.

I want to personally thank Rydabent for starting a novel and original thread ... and like all his threads, it has gone on for quite a while. I really do like that .... there is srtill a tad more entertainment than suffering in most of his epic threads, and I value those threads .... and anybody who both rides and stirs up online forums like Rydabent deserves some plaudits.

(Though he also gets some demerits for suggesting that drunken trike-cycling is a good idea ... )

Great. let's wrap it up and move on ... unless someone has something to say which has not been said seven or eight times already?

My theory is that when a long thread dies, the universe feels restless, and within a few days inspires one of Nature's Little Helpers to write another provocative post.

At this point I am ready for the next one.

But before we go ... what is the best chain lube for gravel bikes which don't actually exist (as opposed to those which do)?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 03:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10966 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. That's been my point all along. The categorization of any bikes as "gravel bikes" is arbitrary. Whether it's Hybrid, or Urban, or Commuter bikes, all these marketing terms come and go. A gravel bike is whatever suits your needs on the gravel roads you ride.

I half expect some of the self-appointed "experts" here to now come along and tell us what is, and is not, a gravel surface and what is true gravel riding. We'll probably be told that a hard-pack dirt road isn't gravel riding, or a path off through the woods isn't either.
Goalposts moved once again.

And yes, while anything that is ridden on gravel can be called a gravel bike, there are some general commonalities that most everyone with experience looks for when they categorize a bike. A beach cruiser can be ridden on gravel, but nobody who is being honest would ever call that a gravel bike.
Similarly, a DH MTB can be ridden on a paved road, but nobody who is being honest would ever call that a road bike.
'Gravel bike' can encompass a lot- a late 80s 26" MTB with drops, an early 90s Trek 730 hybrid with updated components, a CX bike thats been modified, a new Specialized Diverge, etc etc. Its a really wide range, but the commonality is there is intent and purpose in the design/component selection. Some will perfom better than others, but if there is intent to fit the bike to the style of riding, cool- have a blast and call it a gravel bike.

This argument is the same as one that takes place in the Touring section- someone asks for recommendations for touring bikes and some chucklehead chimes in with 'You can tour on anything! Any bike that you tour on is a touring bike!'...as if that is of any help. Yes you could tour on anything, but some features are clearly better than others so getting a purpose designed/selected bike may be best.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-28-23, 03:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If I ever were to get what the current market calls a "gravel bike" for the purpose of racing or bike packing I would probably buy a Salsa Cutthroat, Fezzari Shafer or Specialized Diverge.

Last year I entered a gravel bike race and did it with my Trek Domane since it fits 700 x 40 tires. I outfitted it with Continental Terra Speed tires. There were times during the race where the gravel / forest roads were a little dicey and I wished that I had wider tires and flat bars, but then there were also few pavement sections of the race or gravement sections (really packed gravel) where I was glad I wasn't riding the bike I posted above.
Nice choices. Buy 2 in a size 54, and give me the one you don't want (whether or not you ride a 54 is irrelevant)

There was a recent gravel race in CA (Rock Cobbler in Bakersfield). Year after year, a common theme seems to be that - no matter what bike you ride - it's the perfect bike for some sections, and the worst bike for others.
Old 02-28-23, 04:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,058 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If I ever were to get what the current market calls a "gravel bike" for the purpose of racing or bike packing I would probably buy a Salsa Cutthroat, Fezzari Shafer or Specialized Diverge.

Last year I entered a gravel bike race and did it with my Trek Domane since it fits 700 x 40 tires. I outfitted it with Continental Terra Speed tires. There were times during the race where the gravel / forest roads were a little dicey and I wished that I had wider tires and flat bars, but then there were also few pavement sections of the race or gravement sections (really packed gravel) where I was glad I wasn't riding the bike I posted above.
Originally Posted by Eric F
Nice choices. Buy 2 in a size 54, and give me the one you don't want (whether or not you ride a 54 is irrelevant)

There was a recent gravel race in CA (Rock Cobbler in Bakersfield). Year after year, a common theme seems to be that - no matter what bike you ride - it's the perfect bike for some sections, and the worst bike for others.
Unbound Gravel, formally Dirty Kanza, was won a few years back by Peter Stetina on a Madone, I think, but he rides for Canyon now. 2021 was Boswell on a Diverge and last year McBride won on a Diamondback.

Likes For big john:
Old 02-28-23, 04:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So ... I had a touring bike ... I changed the tires .... and the fork, and the wheels, and the stem and the bars .... and the saddle and seat post .... and the brakes .... and then the frame ... and Voila! I had a gravel bike.
You could of kept it simple and just changed tires and kept everything else as it is.. Gravel specific tires yes... but there is no such thing as a gravel specific stem and handlebars, gravel specific seat post and saddles, gravel specific fork, gravel specific wheels, gravel specific water bottle, gravel specific socks, gravel specific helmet and gravel specific leg shaving kit.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-28-23, 04:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by wolfchild
...there is no such thing as a gravel specific...handlebars.
Hmmm...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ff-road-needs/

I really enjoy the Whisky Spano on my gravel bike. It was a noticeable improvement for me over the Ritchey that was on it previously.

EDIT: Many wheel manufacturers offer options that are designed for the specifics of gravel bikes and the demands of the terrain.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-28-23 at 05:04 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-28-23, 04:53 PM
big john

You could of kept it simple and just changed tires and kept everything else as it is.. Gravel specific tires yes... but there is no such thing as a gravel specific stem and handlebars, gravel specific seat post and saddles, gravel specific fork, gravel specific wheels, gravel specific water bottle, gravel specific socks, gravel specific helmet and gravel specific leg shaving kit.
"could of"?
Likes For big john:
Old 02-28-23, 04:56 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Gearing, aerodynamics, comfort, rolling efficiency.
I was using the sarcasm font
Old 02-28-23, 05:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
...there is no such thing as a gravel specific...handlebars.
Maybe not on your planet, but they have them here on planet Earth.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-28-23, 05:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Perhaps not in 1975 but things have really progressed since then.

Bars: https://bikepacking.com/index/gravel-bars/
Stem: https://redshiftsports.com/products/...uspension-stem
Seatpost: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=299620-187099
Saddle: https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ad-adventures/
Fork: https://cycletraveloverload.com/best...-gravel-forks/
Wheels: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...gravel-wheels/
Waterbottle: You got me on that one because you would use a mountain bike one with a cap.
Socks: https://nologo.cc/gravel-cycling-soc...cycling-socks/
Helmet: https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-bike-helmets/

As for shaving your legs everyone knows that's a legacy from days of yore and any gravel rider worth their salt would never be caught with shaved legs.

Good try though.
Old 02-28-23, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Jughed
I was using the sarcasm font
Apparently, I had my sarcasm font detector setting on "off". Your response seemed like a completely reasonable question for someone not familiar with gravel bikes.
Old 02-28-23, 05:04 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Hey, a shout-out to Rydabent for a great thread, I am sure he got the response he wanted. I am really enjoying this, although it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-28-23, 05:06 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

Good try though.
I didn't really think it was a good try. I thought it was ill informed, childish, and a poor attempt at humor.
Old 02-28-23, 05:21 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
"could of"?

Likes For t2p:
Old 02-28-23, 05:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
but there is no such thing as a gravel specific stem and handlebars, gravel specific seat post and saddles, gravel specific fork, gravel specific wheels, gravel specific water bottle
The fact that you are ignorant of these items does not mean that they don't exist.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-23, 05:22 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

I didn't really think it was a good try. I thought it was ill informed, childish, and a poor attempt at humor.
but other than that - fairly good attempt ?

(grin)
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-28-23, 05:34 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
You forgot spokes. You definitely need gravel spokes.
Old 02-28-23, 05:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
You forgot spokes. You definitely need gravel spokes.
They're only gravel-specific if you pair them with gravel nipples, of course.

Who makes the best gravel bottle cage bolts?
Old 02-28-23, 06:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
But they haven't, not in their current form. It's as if I said enduro bikes have been here all along because some can ride an enduro course on a mountain bike from 1992. Sure, there is some overlap and differences are nuanced in some cases but just because you can put big tires on some c&v bike doesn't make it the same thing as a modern bike made specifically for that purpose.
This is why the Eroica rides are called that - "Eroica" = Heroic, because riding those routes on "some c&v bike" with big tires is NOT like riding the same route on a gravel bike.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-28-23, 06:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Those are pretty cool-looking, but I would never consider them for the way I ride my gravel bike. If they work for you, rock on.

EDIT: My previous comment about handlebars was related to gravel racing, specifically. Drop bars are the predominant choice, for the reasons I mentioned.
Oh, no! You're inviting the usual "Unless you're a pro racer, these are useless" comment!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-28-23, 06:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

They're only gravel-specific if you pair them with gravel nipples, of course.

Who makes the best gravel bottle cage bolts?
Two words I had never expected to see juxtaposed.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-28-23, 07:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Two words I had never expected to see juxtaposed.
  • ​​They're needed to feed the little pebbles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-28-23, 07:02 PM
t2p

fast gravel
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-28-23, 07:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The fact that you are ignorant of these items does not mean that they don't exist.
Yes I know that they exist, but there is absolutely nothing about them that makes them gravel specific, they're just regular cycling stuff that's branded as gravel specific. That's what I meant when i said there is no such thing as gravel specific items.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-28-23, 08:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Yes I know that they exist, but there is absolutely nothing about them that makes them gravel specific, they're just regular cycling stuff that's branded as gravel specific. That's what I meant when i said there is no such thing as gravel specific items.
You can use lots of different parts on lots of different bikes. However, the design of some parts are tailored to favor how most riders use those parts in a particular type of riding. TT handlebars, for example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.