Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do any of you actually use DELTA brakes??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do any of you actually use DELTA brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-23, 10:31 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Actually my iPhone keeps better time than either.
Is it still able to keep time well when all of the cellular networks and GPS satellites are down?
Old 09-17-23, 10:44 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You’re thinking about this the wrong way. I’m not trying to win any race. I’m trying to experience the highest quality I can (for the era that interests me).

Why do you insist on establishing some kind of objective truth and ram it down everyone’s throat when your goal is entirely subjective?

Why does your enjoyment of your chosen obsolete technology rely so heavily on putting down someone else’s chosen obsolete technology?

Last edited by panzerwagon; 09-17-23 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-18-23, 05:02 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Then I just ask someone else.
You can do that now.

I prefer not having to rely on others. Sort of the point of a watch to begin with
Old 09-19-23, 08:07 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I just deleted some recent posts. They are getting close to being personal insults. Let’s keep the discussion civil please.
Old 09-19-23, 10:42 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Is it still able to keep time well when all of the cellular networks and GPS satellites are down?
All? Probably not.

If that happens a sun dial is probably adequate.
Old 09-19-23, 11:29 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I used to have a set on one of my bikes. Now they just sit on my desk as a curiosity.

At one time, I thought that they looked really cool, but now they look "chunky" and not very elegant to me. The form and function ratio is lopsided too far in one direction.

Side note- I have a great picture book of bicycle racing from the 1900's to now. The sidepull brake has been around for a lot longer than I had previously thought.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-19-23, 01:20 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
All? Probably not.

If that happens a sun dial is probably adequate.
A sundial is a totally different sort of device. It doesn't track time, it measures local solar time, so even a hypothetical "perfect" sundial would be useless for things like marine chronometry.
Old 09-20-23, 12:32 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
A sundial is a totally different sort of device. It doesn't track time, it measures local solar time, so even a hypothetical "perfect" sundial would be useless for things like marine chronometry.
If all GPS and cell signals are out, it’s probably because some major stuff is going on that would make precise chronometry not relevant to most people.

ETA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzCWLOHUes
Old 09-20-23, 06:51 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Its relative. Always has been, always will be. And unless you are putting food on the table racing bikes, it is largely irrelevant.
I spent some time doing racing in the early 1980's and the consensus was that the brakes are only there to slow you down. It was never about how well they stopped on a dime but more about whether they could slow you down. When racing you never want to stop completely. and so we never cared about the brakes other than they could slow us down. So my question is do they slow you down? If so they do what they should do in racing. JMHO Smiles, MH
Old 09-20-23, 10:22 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I spent some time doing racing in the early 1980's and the consensus was that the brakes are only there to slow you down. It was never about how well they stopped on a dime but more about whether they could slow you down. When racing you never want to stop completely. and so we never cared about the brakes other than they could slow us down. So my question is do they slow you down? If so they do what they should do in racing. JMHO Smiles, MH
hydraulic discs I do think can change that, it takes some rethinking, the power and modulation allows one to brake later and harder, so more speed until the turn won’t allow it, not much difference on the flatlands, but on a descent, having test used a mod bike, faster, but changes riding in a group. Caliper braked riders can get sucked in and then cannot match the deceleration. To really maximize time over course, one needs to be in very good shape to accelerate coming out of a turn. Faster and harder. Not a Jackie Stewart drive fast and smooth approach. Now, cut and thrust.