Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

K2 Zen 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-22, 10:35 PM
watergirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
K2 Zen 3.2

I picked up a K2 Zen 3.2 today at the recycling center. Lots of rust--chain is completely rusted and there's some rust on the front suspension struts, but it still compresses. Also some rust spots on the disc brakes. Question: presuming I buy a new chain, lube up the bike components and put new brake and gear cables, do you think it's worth throwing some time and money into it, knowing that in it's prime, it was only a $300 bike? For me, it will just be another around-town clunker.
Thanks for your opinions!!
Old 01-09-22, 07:55 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by watergirl
I picked up a K2 Zen 3.2 today at the recycling center. Lots of rust--chain is completely rusted and there's some rust on the front suspension struts, but it still compresses. Also some rust spots on the disc brakes. Question: presuming I buy a new chain, lube up the bike components and put new brake and gear cables, do you think it's worth throwing some time and money into it, knowing that in it's prime, it was only a $300 bike? For me, it will just be another around-town clunker.
Thanks for your opinions!!
Sure. Does it really need cable or can you clean and lube them for a bit longer? You can clean the cables with some steel wool or scotchbrite then lube them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-09-22, 09:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
If doing some basic maintenance will make the bike be useable and if one would then use it, I believe it's worth it. Andy
Old 01-09-22, 10:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Surface rust can look really severe and one might think the rusty part ruined. However you can usually just knock off the loose stuff with a wire brush, or even a good stiff nylon brush. In the case of a rusty chain, even when frozen up with rust, after knocking off the loose rust, I just lubed the chain and worked it till it loosened up.

Same for rusty cogs and such. Just clean and lubricate them to free them up, then wait for them to finally wear out and then replace them. While they won't give as long a service life as they might have if always cared for, they will probably last longer than many will imagine.

So just base that on what you are going to be doing with the bike... a beater just to ride around the city where a breakdown won't be a big deal or are you going to be going on a tour of Europe with the bike where any mechanical issue might be a great inconvenience to your schedule or to get fixed?
Old 01-09-22, 11:15 AM
watergirl

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the cables to move with some lube, so I won't do that right away. Chain is the first item, replace the pedals with some spares I have and then I can see how it moves. I'll get a pic posted.
Likes For watergirl: