Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Answer a Moral Dilemma: To Render Aid or Not

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Answer a Moral Dilemma: To Render Aid or Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If you didn't recognize it as a situation that needed your assistance, then you shouldn't feel bad about it. Especially if no effort is made to flag you down when there are persons that appear to be capable of recognizing your presence.

But don't use remaining blissfully ignorant of such situations as a pass for other things you might come across in the future. Though you do have to balance being too nosy against being too involved in other peoples stuff.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-27-22, 01:36 PM
fishyfishy123

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Team; 2011 CAAD10 5'; 1976 Viscount mongrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I almost always say something if something things up - hardly anyone takes me up on it. They probably won't accept unless they really need it.
Likes For fishyfishy123:
Old 02-27-22, 03:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
I usually just casually say "you okay?" while riding past. Usually they just nod back or say something like "yeah fine". Never had any aggression aimed back in those situations. I think the trick is not to be overly enthusiastic or loud in making your offer of assistance. I think when people really need help they are likely to ask for it or be so smashed up that it's obvious they need it!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-27-22, 05:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Sometimes if I see somebody out on a recreational ride and they are having some difficulty and it looks like I have better tools or spares or bandaids I might slow down and ask if they need anything. But I’m not likely to actually stop unbidden and jump in unless there’s clearly some emergency going on. Just about everyone has a cell phone now.

But I’ve also ridden past homeless guys who by their nature surely need help more and might in fact be asking, and felt less inclined to help them. There was one a few months ago who was carrying a 50 gallon trash bag of laundry and asked me to call him a taxi as I rode by. It just felt like the opening gambit of some pathetic scam. I kept going.

So I don’t know.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-27-22, 06:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Maybe you roar by fellow motorists, but I don't. It's a long way between towns in Wyoming and many areas do not have cell phone service. A stranded and unprepared motorist can be in big trouble if left to their own devices. Whether drivers or cyclists, I've never had other than a polite and often grateful response to offers of assistance.
I’ve never driven out west, but I have toured a good amount there, including in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. People in those places are good like that. I think many people on this site don’t look beyond their own riding experiences.

The funny thing is that if I am sitting by the side of the road taking something like a snack break and happen to encounter another cyclist I usually don’t get asked if I need help. I’m far more likely to get asked the same thing by motorists. I attribute that in part to cyclists knowing that other cyclists sometimes take breaks in seemingly odd places.

When I was touring in Montana in 2017 I came across a motorist who had recently hit a deer early in the morning. The front end of her car was crumpled in. At least two people stopped to check on her.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-27-22, 07:01 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve never driven out west, but I have toured a good amount there, including in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. People in those places are good like that. I think many people on this site don’t look beyond their own riding experiences.

The funny thing is that if I am sitting by the side of the road taking something like a snack break and happen to encounter another cyclist I usually don’t get asked if I need help. I’m far more likely to get asked the same thing by motorists. I attribute that in part to cyclists knowing that other cyclists sometimes take breaks in seemingly odd places.

When I was touring in Montana in 2017 I came across a motorist who had recently hit a deer early in the morning. The front end of her car was crumpled in. At least two people stopped to check on her.
So true about motorists

I was touring out West some years ago and did a long hard day and missed the grocery store. I set up my tent after eating some meagre crumbs of food. Just as I start to fall asleep, I hear a scratching noise on my tent. I open the fly and in comes a plate with steak, asparagus, and potatoes. "We saw all day going over mountain passes and we noticed you did not have much food. My kids would like to talk to you about bicycling, could you come over and have popcorn with us" What a great night it was. I had many such experiences with motorists in many countries although nothing topped that steak.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-27-22, 07:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
So true about motorists

I was touring out West some years ago and did a long hard day and missed the grocery store. I set up my tent after eating some meagre crumbs of food. Just as I start to fall asleep, I hear a scratching noise on my tent. I open the fly and in comes a plate with steak, asparagus, and potatoes. "We saw all day going over mountain passes and we noticed you did not have much food. My kids would like to talk to you about bicycling, could you come over and have popcorn with us" What a great night it was. I had many such experiences with motorists in many countries although nothing topped that steak.
Great story!
Old 02-27-22, 07:54 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
that's a nice story
but I would never eat potentially poisoned food from strangers
Old 02-27-22, 08:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
that's a nice story
I never knew there were so many irrationally fearful people in the world until I read this thread.

I don’t know how some of you ever manage to eat a meal, or meet new people (especially women), without being overcome by the anxiety
Old 02-27-22, 09:08 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
that's a nice story
“Potentially poisoned food” from a family with kids who invite you over to talk and share some popcorn?! LOL. I can’t imagine living in such a fearful state. This thread has really gone off the deep end.
Old 02-27-22, 09:22 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Out of the maybe fifty people over the past thirty years where I asked "everything okay?," only one cyclist took me up on my offer of help.
On the other hand, over that same span, somebody lent me a hand a few times. Karma, baby.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-27-22, 09:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
My point exactly. You confirmed it is dead and no longer exists.

Those poor 6 young strong physically capable men don't want to end up in jail.
Hey newbie, your statements above are pure supposition with no basis in fact. There are plenty of other boards that get off on bashing women or making stereotypes but not here. Please keep these unsubstantiated opinions to yourself or go elsewhere.

Old 02-27-22, 10:39 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Hey newbie, your statements above are pure supposition with no basis in fact. There are plenty of other boards that get off on bashing women or making stereotypes but not here. Please keep these unsubstantiated opinions to yourself or go elsewhere.
The OP asked for an opinion. I gave my opinion and my reasons.

And I'm completely fine that not everyone will like my opinion, and I won't resort to insult an individual for being a forum newbie.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-28-22, 05:45 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I suppose it's situational. Some correspondents here apparently live in frightening places. Where I live and ride I always call out to a stopped rider to ensure they don't need help. If I pass them while driving, I usually won't stop if it doesn't appear they are in need. But if they're walking the bike, I'll stop and see if they need a ride. Doesn't happen very often.

The only time I can see a true moral dilemma is if someone is obviously in need of assistance which you know you are able to provide. That's not present in the OP's case so I don't see any moral concern.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 02-28-22, 05:52 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by jon c.
Some correspondents here apparently are very frightened. live in frightening places.
fify.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-22, 07:08 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I almost always will ask if a fellow cyclist is in need if they are stopped by the side of the road or trail. Exception would be if I can clearly see that they are stopped for reasons other than a mechanical, injury, etc. But, as time has passed I have to admit to being more inclined to pass people by who are not in obvious need. Perhaps because of perceived increased inclination for people to be confrontational in recent times.
Old 02-28-22, 08:16 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
“Potentially poisoned food” from a family with kids who invite you over to talk and share some popcorn?! LOL. I can’t imagine living in such a fearful state. This thread has really gone off the deep end.
hey I like popcorn as much as the next guy

Old 03-01-22, 06:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Extremely situational question and too easy to second-guess. It certainly sounds like you couldn't have done anything that wasn't already being done. No use kicking yourself for not making the gesture.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-01-22, 07:29 AM
indyfabz

that's a nice story
O. M. G.

I have done a lot of solo bike touring. People tend to feel sorry for you when they see you on your own and sometimes offer you food. The wife of the Sprague Creek Campground host gave me oatmeal raisin cookies fresh out of the RV oven. A family in NH invited me over to their site and forced me to drink beer and eat hot dogs. I was given nearly half a pie at a campground in CT. A family having a picnic in a city park in MT where I was camping fed me. Etc.

In case you haven't noticed, I am still alive.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-01-22, 07:36 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Chuck M
He explained that nothing was said about anyone else being on the way. The girls were ungrateful snots and the boyfriends were overcompensating for something to act that way.
He's either got reading comprehension issues or he purposefully ignores what was actually written so he can argue a manufactured point. Either way, it's sad and disruptive. But there is a lot of that on the Internet.
Old 03-01-22, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you didn't recognize it as a situation that needed your assistance, then you shouldn't feel bad about it. Especially if no effort is made to flag you down when there are persons that appear to be capable of recognizing your presence.

But don't use remaining blissfully ignorant of such situations as a pass for other things you might come across in the future. Though you do have to balance being too nosy against being too involved in other peoples stuff.

This situation isn't a good illustration of it, but when deciding whether or not to step in in any form, my first question to myself is if I might be getting in the way of someone who is already close or there and better equipped to deal with the situation. I'd never approach a situation where EMTs are already on the scene. for the really obvious example.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-01-22, 07:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
that's a nice story
I guess you don't dine out often.

I was starving to death on TABR and found a pie on the side of the road, I assume the Lord sent it to me. Yes, I ate it.

I cannot imagine how you would think a Mom or Dad handing me food could remotely be poisoned. Wild.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-01-22, 08:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Some correspondents here apparently live in frightening places.
I think that frightening place is between their ears.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-01-22, 08:52 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
O. M. G.

I have done a lot of solo bike touring. People tend to feel sorry for you when they see you on your own and sometimes offer you food. The wife of the Sprague Creek Campground host gave me oatmeal raisin cookies fresh out of the RV oven. A family in NH invited me over to their site and forced me to drink beer and eat hot dogs. I was given nearly half a pie at a campground in CT. A family having a picnic in a city park in MT where I was camping fed me. Etc.

In case you haven't noticed, I am still alive.
I spent large chunks of my twenties and early thirties roaming around the Western US -- camping, backpacking, climbing mountains, etc. Spent some time in Alaska, too. Plenty of strangers gave me rides, fed me, let me sleep on their properties and occasionally even on their couches. If I'd been as fearful as some of our posters, I never would've had all of these great experiences and met all of these nice people.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-01-22, 08:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
doesn't hurt to ask

we had a good Samaritan drive Wifey to the ER when she fell & broke her wrist after crashing into a bollard. we were 5 miles from our car. I biked back to our car, drove to retrieve her bike from the crash scene, then drove to the ER to pick her up. she was well, sporting a new cast

w/ rare exception, when I ask, the ppl don't need my help

for reference, this is what a person in distress looks like (fwiw - when I heard the crash I ran to help her. after checking on her I took this photo as evidence) the kind gentleman came to help, he worked at the beach & watched her bike while I went to get the car. the good Samaritan was someone driving out from visiting the beach

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-01-22 at 09:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.