Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Appreciating your friends

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-22, 07:55 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

My wife and I are blessed to be involved with a group of incredible people who all enjoy riding. The “leader” is a wonderful lady who is also one hell of a strong rider and destroys me on hills regularly.
She’s really the glue that holds the group together so we decided to do something to show her how much she’s appreciated. Tonight I gave her my 2000 Colnago B-Stay with Campagnolo Record 10, Reynolds Stratus carbon wheels with GP5000’s and a complete custom Candy blue paint job.

It feels silly to say but I simply have more bikes than I can ever ride and as hard as it may be to believe, that one wasn’t one of my favorites. She’s been wanting a new bike to replace her Trek and blue is her favorite color. Now I can watch her stomp me on the hills on my own bike !!🤣🤣🤣
Old 02-28-22, 08:53 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Good for you.

I have a story with some similar elements, some different.

There is a person who is the leader of my main riding group. He is our rock. But he's also not as financially well-off as many in the group. Some years ago, before I was a regular with this group, his road bike was destroyed in a crash (he, thankfully, was OK). The group took up a collection and bought him a new top-end road bike.

A few years later and he is getting on in years. Occasionally he's challenged to keep up with his own rides in some circumstances. So the group (by this time, including myself) again took up a collection to buy him a surprise gift - a top end road Ebike. People contributed what they could, from $50-$500, each. Sometimes he rides his roadbike, and sometimes when he needs a boost, he takes the ebike.

The first one was necessary, though I suppose he would have found a way to obtain some kind of road bike on his own, he didn't have to scrape. The second one wasn't (yet), but he sure did appreciate it.

Totally worth it. He contributes so much to our community and to us as individuals.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-28-22, 09:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
...blessed to be involved with a group of incredible people who all enjoy riding...
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...
Old 03-01-22, 06:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Nicely done. Not nearly as good but when I got a COVID check from the government I bought Assos jerseys for two of my female riding friends.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-01-22, 07:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Tonight I gave her my 2000 Colnago B-Stay with Campagnolo Record 10, Reynolds Stratus carbon wheels ... It feels silly to say but I simply have more bikes than I can ever ride ...
That sort of thing is the type of giving I most prefer. I've done it occasionally. Can't take stuff with us, once we're gone, so it might as well go to somebody deserving, where you know for a fact it'll get used properly, be appreciated, etc. The feel-good about the gift is a bit of icing on the cake.

Of course, if you were destroyed before, on the hills, it's now impossible. Time to give up cycling altogether, pal. Ha!

Kudos for the gesture. I'm sure it'll be most appreciated. Hopefully it's perfectly sized for her.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-01-22, 08:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
well done you!

we'll assume it's her size & that she wanted it? I can imagine how awkward it might be to have an issue with such a generous gift ...
Old 03-01-22, 09:30 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
well done you!

we'll assume it's her size & that she wanted it? I can imagine how awkward it might be to have an issue with such a generous gift ...
It should be a pretty good fit for her. She’s about 5’-5” and I’m only 5’-7”, it’s a 54cm so should work and yes she has expressed wanting a new bike for some time. She called last night after getting home and is beside herself with joy.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-01-22, 09:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
A very generous and heartfelt gift, but if you think she destroyed you on hills before….. Maybe fill the tubes with some lead or sand or iron or….. Nothing like a win - win.

Old 03-02-22, 03:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
I sometimes ride on my lunch break and usually when I get back from my ride the mail is just getting there. My shop is in an industrial park and my regular mail carrier “Frank” is a great guy who always takes time to admire my vintage racers. He told me he still had his old Schwinn LeTour from when he was younger and it was stored at his mother’s house but hadn’t been ridden in about 30 years. I told him , now that he is wanting to ride again , that he should have the bike gone through and rekindle that bond with his bike. I told him to let me have it and I would go through the bike , grease and adjust the bearings, new cables and tires/tubes,and adjustments, plus a little polishing. I had his bike for about two weeks , spending the weekends getting it ready. It ain’t my type of ten speed but it was everything to Frank. Strawberry red and in near mint condition, heavy but smooth and comfy, he loves his bike and says it rides just as nicely as when it was new. He spends the odd Saturday or Sunday riding around the neighborhood. I got a text from him right after I finished the bike and he was riding around on his “new” bike enjoying the ride.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-03-22, 07:43 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
All super nice stories and a pleasure to read during this ongoing time of madness in the world. if I had any bike friends, I would wish they would be like y'all.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 03-04-22, 07:00 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
All super nice stories and a pleasure to read during this ongoing time of madness in the world. if I had any bike friends, I would wish they would be like y'all.
I second that...
Old 03-05-22, 07:48 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
My brother is an avid rider in the Tidewater VA area. Last year the LBS sold a SWEET bike (details withheld here for privacy reasons) and the club members paid for the bike and gave it to their longtime ride leader and general all-around good guy.

Thanks to the OP for posting this great story!

Gary
Old 03-25-22, 12:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Before you gave it to her, did you adjust the brakes so that you could keep up easier?
Old 03-25-22, 01:52 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Very nice gift !! and great stories
Old 03-25-22, 04:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It would certainly be a dimmer world without our riding friends. Bless all those who've stuck with us over the years.
Old 03-27-22, 02:05 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Before you gave it to her, did you adjust the brakes so that you could keep up easier?
I should have……. We were doing some hills two days ago and she murdered me.
Old 03-28-22, 04:31 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Now I can watch her stomp me on the hills on my own bike !!🤣🤣🤣
We were doing some hills two days ago and she murdered me.
You got your wish. She was tough as nails previously. Now she's gonna be absolutely heinous, on the hills. Suck it up, Spanky.

Killer bike gifted to someone -- $2500.
The look on her face as she "dances" up every hill in sight -- Priceless.

Sounds like it was worth every penny, painful though the hills might now be for you. I'll bet she's loving it, though. All the reward in the world, to see her really "shining" on the thing.