Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever get a speeding ticket?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 04:18 AM
Sailboat Bob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't but it's a bucket list thing for me, something to hang on the wall. im waiting fir the right sitiuation and i have a couple rules:

definately not in a 15 mph zone thats cheating
no school zones
​​​​​
Old 04-04-22, 04:58 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailboat Bob

definately not in a 15 mph zone thats cheating

​​​​​
What if it's on a bike doing 45mph in a 15? Or a car doing 125?
Old 04-04-22, 06:14 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I've read somewhere that brakeless fixies in heavy traffic are good for this.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 04-04-22, 06:21 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Not me but I did come accross this while researching rides:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3102191.html

Sawyers Hill is a long hard slog going up, to go down it you have to do the circuit clockwise which has some even nastier hills.
https://www.broleur.com/cycling-richmond-park/
Old 04-04-22, 07:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I haven't (yet), but I know my target zone.

The last time our local century went over a particular gap out of town, there was a policeman at the bottom of the hill directing traffic through the traffic light (cyclists got priority). In a brief chat, he told me he'd ticket several cyclists doing 50 in a 35 zone; that's my goal. Unfortunately, though the pavement is decent and most of the turns are banked, there's a few sketchy turns coming down the ridge where the wind buffeting is pretty nasty, and that slows me down. And at least so far, on those few windless early mornings I've flown down the hill, Cranky Cop hasn't been waiting for me at the bottom. Just wait until next time!
Old 04-04-22, 08:05 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Nothing on a bike. A friend and I did get stopped for speeding on skateboards though.
Going down a hill dropping into the Oceanside, Ca marina. The officer stopped us for doing 35 in a 25.
Got a lecture but no ticket.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 04-04-22, 08:07 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I got one from going through a stop sign. keeping up with cars would break the law on some streets.
Old 04-04-22, 08:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Probably varies from state to state, but some places speed limits might only apply to motor vehicles. Don't know for certain, but some of the statues on speed limits I've glanced at talk specifically to motor vehicles.
Old 04-04-22, 08:31 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The entrance to Toronto's High Park has a lot of cyclists getting speeding tickets going downhill last summer. Some people complain that the cops aren't ticketing cars going the same or faster but the cops are denying that.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-04-22 at 11:28 AM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 04-04-22, 09:07 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Too many bikes here in Colorado. They would go mad trying to do that. I have done stuff like 50 in a 35 downhill etc but they never bother you. That is prob the only place bikes can go faster than cars but they have started to put of painted signs that say "Bicycles may use the full lane" which is awesome!!
Old 04-04-22, 09:25 AM
Bosco13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Not a speeding ticket, but I did get a ticket for riding double and going through a red light (at a T intersection and I was not in traffic). I had to go to traffic school, and I didn't even have a driver's license.
Old 04-04-22, 09:32 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
well here's a toast to the 50 mph pedal squids .............................................. you will soon receive a free bike as evidence of your skillset
Old 04-04-22, 10:30 AM
shmily_dana

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Somehow I never got one. When I lived in Huntington Beach, CA they started to enforce the 5mph speed limit on the beach paths. And Newport Beach had a 8mph speed limit. (maybe I have those backwards) I don't think I could even ride stable at such a low speed. I typically went thru those areas at my usual 15-20 mph. Although I would not go on those paths when they were busy. I am curious if they still have those speed limits. It seemed like they were trying to ban bicycles without actually banning bicycles.
Old 04-04-22, 11:11 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The neighborhood that a friend lived in growing up had this super steep hill right off his own street. In the middle of said hill is another road with a stop sign, the speed limit in the neighborhood is 25. We both got a warning for running 38 in a 25 and running the stop sign. Neither of us actually had a license yet, so to be fair I am not sure he legally could have ticketed us. We were also well underage to have a learners permit.
Old 04-04-22, 11:22 AM
gene99

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
No, but I keep trying.
Likes For gene99:
Old 04-04-22, 12:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
No tickets, but I'm not above trying. The closest I got to a ticket was when a bunch of people from the group behind me pulled up alongside and all around me at a stop sign, and the local cop threatened to write us all tickets.

My personal rules for radar trailers:
1. Posted speed must be at least 25 mph
2. No significant hill involved
3. Personal effort, no drafting

Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-04-22, 12:38 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
well here's a toast to the 50 mph pedal squids .............................................. you will soon receive a free bike as evidence of your skillset
You realize motorcycles get ridden at 70mph at the speed limit on the interstate, right? What a foolish post.
Old 04-04-22, 12:53 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Well, 40, 45, and 50, will pretty much be as disastrous on a downhill, so what's your point? Heck, you will hit 40 just by coasting down on some....ya just gotta live in a mountainous state and not some flat barren land.
Old 04-04-22, 01:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
The neighborhood that a friend lived in growing up had this super steep hill right off his own street. In the middle of said hill is another road with a stop sign, the speed limit in the neighborhood is 25. We both got a warning for running 38 in a 25 and running the stop sign. Neither of us actually had a license yet, so to be fair I am not sure he legally could have ticketed us. We were also well underage to have a learners permit.
It depends on your location as to whether or not you can get a ticket while on a bike. I think in most places you can. Again, it is handled differently in different locations - you may or may not accrue points. Having a driver's license would be irrelevant; after all you can get a ticket while operating a car without a license, and you're still obligated to take care of it.
Old 04-04-22, 02:29 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You realize motorcycles get ridden at 70mph at the speed limit on the interstate, right? What a foolish post.
take a trip through some mountain areas in NM & Co and you'll see white bikes all over the place ... 95+% are guys doing stupid fast and losing it ..........................................................btw I have squidded my moto and done the track scene and also rode my SS down from the SFNM ski basin and im lucky lucky lucky that I aint got my own for stupids white bike so think the post is stupid and you might not be as lucky as me but hey, a white bike may suit your fancy
Old 04-04-22, 04:33 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It depends on your location as to whether or not you can get a ticket while on a bike. I think in most places you can. Again, it is handled differently in different locations - you may or may not accrue points. Having a driver's license would be irrelevant; after all you can get a ticket while operating a car without a license, and you're still obligated to take care of it.
I didn't think it was possible to get a speeding ticket on a bicycle, as they don't have an accurate speedometer (*quickly hides Garmin*) to gauge and monitor speed. This probably varies depending on your country's laws though. The could of course just get you for "furious cycling" or some other offence.

Can't say I've ever tried to get a ticket...
Old 04-04-22, 04:37 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Nothing on a bike. A friend and I did get stopped for speeding on skateboards though.
Going down a hill dropping into the Oceanside, Ca marina. The officer stopped us for doing 35 in a 25.
Got a lecture but no ticket.
I could definitely go for some beach break cafe.
I kinda like Oside.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-04-22, 07:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
take a trip through some mountain areas in NM & Co and you'll see white bikes all over the place ... 95+% are guys doing stupid fast and losing it ..........................................................btw I have squidded my moto and done the track scene and also rode my SS down from the SFNM ski basin and im lucky lucky lucky that I aint got my own for stupids white bike so think the post is stupid and you might not be as lucky as me but hey, a white bike may suit your fancy
. Lots of anecdote. Another foolish post. Batting a thousand so far.
Old 04-04-22, 10:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
My wife was pulled over for doing 32 in a 25 MPH zone on her road bike. She was cruising down a good hill where there was a heavy police presence due to a golf tournament and they were doing traffic enforcement. The motorcycle officer had a radar gun on her and motioned her over. He asked if she knew how fast she was going to which she announced, not fast enough since I didn’t get a good run at the downhill. He didn’t like that answer and pulled out his ticket book. When he pulled the book the other officers around him started laughing. He was so embarrassed that he put the book away and warned my wife that next time he would write her. She cracked up and so did the other officers saying that he was so tough on crime. She was married to a State Patrol Sargent and had been around cops for years and was not intimidated. You go girl!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-04-22, 10:42 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I could definitely go for some beach break cafe.
I kinda like Oside.
What's funny is when I was a sophomore in high school (1982?), I worked at a Union 76 that used to occupy that same corner.
I quit that job when I was accused of stealing money...I remember seeing the manager having to work my shift because I didn't show up.
I went to a beach bonfire...LOL

I used to eat a lot at Mary's downtown and the Angelo's in South Oside just before Carlsbad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.