Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 01:22 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
Yes, when going straight. Will check the disk alignment when I’m back home. What about brake calipers,
do they require adjustments/alignment?
They are hydraulic, right? No adjustment, other than to check they are centered over the brake disk. The gap between the disk and the pads should be the same on both sides. Spin the wheel first to check that the disk isn't bent.
Old 07-09-22, 01:32 AM
fatbikeGM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mounting a mini-pump

CEBEP Here are two pics of the pump:

It does not rattle or interfere with the fold.
Old 07-09-22, 01:45 AM
glye

Originally Posted by fatbikeGM
I was finally able to add photos to my initial post #1885
That pulling handle is a nice solution when you're not using the lowrider rack. Where did you buy the front elastomer? Unsure if I need it, but may want to try.

My tip to this thread is the SKS rubber front mudguard extension. It keeps the frame and chain clean. There was a huge difference after I installed it, zero spray from the front wheel now.

Before:

After:

Old 07-09-22, 01:46 AM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
CEBEP Here are two pics of the pump:

It does not rattle or interfere with the fold.
First of all awesome bike you have there!

Thanks for the pictures. I’d be careful with zip toes as if they are not UV protected they can degrade in time and break one day without you noticing.

could you point me to the R&M "Carry Bag" you have as I couldn’t find it googling.

I also noticed on one of your pictures that you have the front light pointing way to the side? Or it seems like it on the picture.
Old 07-09-22, 01:50 AM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by glye
They are hydraulic, right? No adjustment, other than to check they are centered over the brake disk. The gap between the disk and the pads should be the same on both sides. Spin the wheel first to check that the disk isn't bent.
yep, hydraulic. Stock brakes coming on R&M Birdy Touring, should be Schimano T6000.
Old 07-09-22, 02:12 AM
CEBEP

That pulling handle is a nice solution when you're not using the lowrider rack. Where did you buy the front elastomer? Unsure if I need it, but may want to try.

My tip to this thread is the SKS rubber front mudguard extension. It keeps the frame and chain clean. There was a huge difference after I installed it, zero spray from the front wheel now.

Before:

After:

Is it this one?
Old 07-09-22, 02:22 AM
glye

Is it this one?
No, it's a flexible rubber flap, to avoid breaking it if you roll the bike over a door frame for instance. This one, I think: https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/s...guard-spoiler-

It comes in different sizes, but this one says it's for 42-45 mm, it's probably the one I have.
Likes For glye:
Old 07-09-22, 02:30 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I prefer the pulling handle to the lowrider.
My bike came with the lowrider and I did not particularly like it: It needs to be moved slightly when folding the front wheel, adding half a step to the process.
Also in my case the bike sits lower to the ground that way so the cooling bag does not scratch the ground.

I bought the front elastomer here:
https://www.fahrrad-bruckner.de/prod...schwarz-32031/
Beware though, this is far from an optimal online shopping experience: They allow up to 1-2 weeks iirc after receiving payment before sending your package …
Old 07-09-22, 02:44 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First of all awesome bike you have there!

Thanks for the pictures. I’d be careful with zip toes as if they are not UV protected they can degrade in time and break one day without you noticing.

could you point me to the R&M "Carry Bag" you have as I couldn’t find it googling.

I also noticed on one of your pictures that you have the front light pointing way to the side? Or it seems like it on the picture.
You have a sharp eye, the light was indeed bent Thank you!

In this shop are the best pictures of the carry bag i found so far:
https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/bags-ca...carry-bag.html

It is such an under-appreciated accessoire, i almost disregarded it and tried to buy the pacific cycles one at first which is similar but does not come with the frame bag with integrated handle.
I might do a few pictures and a small review at a later time.

Imho it is the seemingly secondary things that really make or break the folding bike experience. Examples:
- (working) mudguards
- dynamo lights
- ease of handling the bike while folded
- ability to take it _everywhere_ so no big lock is needed and probability of the bike being stolen is _smaller_ than with the best lock
- on-bike storage / luggage
Old 07-09-22, 03:10 AM
CEBEP

You have a sharp eye, the light was indeed bent Thank you!

It is such an under-appreciated accessoire, i almost disregarded it and tried to buy the pacific cycles one at first which is similar but does not come with the frame bag with integrated handle.
I might do a few pictures and a small review at a later time.

Imho it is the seemingly secondary things that really make or break the folding bike experience. Examples:
- (working) mudguards
- dynamo lights
- ease of handling the bike while folded
- ability to take it _everywhere_ so no big lock is needed and probability of the bike being stolen is _smaller_ than with the best lock
- on-bike storage / luggage
Too bad Brilliant bikes don’t ship to Turkey. Also couldn’t find it anywhere else for whatever reason. Probably this bag is not all that widely available.
Old 07-09-22, 03:23 AM
CEBEP

I think it’s a cover bag to cover Birdy when folded no? Or am I confusing something?
Old 07-09-22, 03:25 AM
CEBEP

I think this is the frame bag to carry stuff in.

Old 07-09-22, 03:27 AM
glye

Too bad Brilliant bikes don’t ship to Turkey. Also couldn’t find it anywhere else for whatever reason. Probably this bag is not all that widely available.
Dahon also make bags that may suit you. I bought a "Dahon CarryOn Cover" 10 years ago for a Tern bike, I'm using it now for the Birdy. It fits nicely. It comes in a saddle bag, but can be brought in any kind of bag of course. It has a shoulder strap that you connect to the bike frame inside the bag, so it holds the weight securely. You can leave the easywheels outside, so you can still roll the folded bike while inside the bag. I don't know if this exact model is still available. Here's an article showing it. https://www.bikeradar.com/news/new-f...gs-from-dahon/
Old 07-09-22, 03:31 AM
CEBEP

Dahon also make bags that may suit you. I bought a "Dahon CarryOn Cover" 10 years ago for a Tern bike, I'm using it now for the Birdy. It fits nicely. It comes in a saddle bag, but can be brought in any kind of bag of course. It has a shoulder strap that you connect to the bike frame inside the bag, so it holds the weight securely. You can leave the easywheels outside, so you can still roll the folded bike while inside the bag. I don't know if this exact model is still available. Here's an article showing it. https://www.bikeradar.com/news/new-f...gs-from-dahon/
I think I didn’t express myself correctly. I thought it was a bag to carry things in it, not the bike cover. Frame bag seems logical to carry small things as it doesn’t effect the fold nor overalls dimensions when folded.
Old 07-09-22, 03:39 AM
glye

I thought it was a bag to carry things in it, not the bike cover.
The "Carry bag" is both: A frame bag to carry things in, and a cover for the folded bike, and a carrying strap.
Old 07-09-22, 03:45 AM
CEBEP

The "Carry bag" is both: A frame bag to carry things in, and a cover for the folded bike, and a carrying strap.
I see. Can’t find it anywhere else, not on Amazon or eBay either.
Old 07-09-22, 04:43 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it’s a cover bag to cover Birdy when folded no? Or am I confusing something?
It has 4 components, as described by brilliantbikes. I‘ll take a few pictures and write up a mini-review during the next few days.
Old 07-09-22, 04:47 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think this is the frame bag to carry stuff in.

Afaik this frame bag, sitting below the top tube interferes with the fold because it hangs where the rear wheel folds to (directly in front of the triangle in the main frame).
Old 07-09-22, 11:49 AM
CEBEP

İ don’t think the bag is under-appreciates, it’s simply not available to buy anywhere to appreciate. Except Brilliant bikes which ships only to few countries.

Last edited by CEBEP; 07-09-22 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 01:06 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
I think that all R&M deal can have the Birdy Carry Bag. Kemper Fietsen in the Netherland has it too.

I bought it and send it back because my main goal was to have a bag to carry the Birdy folded and this bag is very thin not very good to carry the Birdy folded inside.

There was a previous version of Birdy carry bag from R&M much stronger not available anymore but often for sale on .ebay-kleinanzeigen.de. Of course, due to the thicker material, this bag is bigger and heavier when folded.

Last edited by Jipe; 07-10-22 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-10-22, 01:51 AM
CEBEP

My understanding is that these bags are mainly available while configuring order form for Birdy and not really are available as stand alone product. Link you’ve sent is for local dealer shipping to NL and Germany only, as far as I could understand. It would be good to have accessories widely available like bags for Brompton. That’s how you make bike popular, by providing accessories which are easily available for most users.

Last edited by CEBEP; 07-10-22 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-10-22, 04:18 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
The problem in Europe and US is that Riese & Müller doesn't do active marketing of the Birdy anymore focusing on ebike. Most R&M dealers do not sell the Birdy and have zero knowledge of it. There is only a wide network of dealers selling the Birdy in Germany.

R&M way of working for parts and accessories is to sell them via dealers, not online (for some parts, they even ask the serial number of the Birdy before accepting to sell the parts), but its a problem for the Birdy due to the small amount of R&M dealers selling the Birdy.

In Asia its totally different, Pacific Cycles does a lot of marketing around the Birdy, the Birdy is very popular as high end folding bike and its easy to find bikes, spare parts and accessories including from third party.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 07-10-22, 04:25 AM
CEBEP

Fair enough, what I don’t get is why not allow Asian OEM producers sell these bags as accessory and earn money. Just as they sell frames and let OEM producers choose the rest of the components themselves. It’s not critical for me by any means to get exactly this bag, as there are billion bags available for bikes. I just don’t understand their business model. Why not make bag specifically designed for Birdy available wider, through the same Asian dealers if R&M don’t want to market themselves. It’s not a nuclear fuel where you need to control supply channels after all.
Old 07-10-22, 05:39 AM
glye

At SPEZI 2013 I test rode a Birdy ebike. Likely R&M since it's in Germany. Anyway, if this is something they were considering as a product, then it appears they gave up on the idea. It was using a Nuvinci gear hub, a front motor hub, and a battery pack on the handlepost. Bolt-on solutions that don't require any changes to the frame. While the Pacific e-Birdy seems to be a singlespeed with a rear hub motor, batteries inside the hub. Neither are really good ebike solutions. To achieve that the frame must be designed for it.
Old 07-10-22, 06:11 AM
jackyharuhiko

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The problem in Europe and US is that Riese & Müller doesn't do active marketing of the Birdy anymore focusing on ebike. Most R&M dealers do not sell the Birdy and have zero knowledge of it. There is only a wide network of dealers selling the Birdy in Germany.

R&M way of working for parts and accessories is to sell them via dealers, not online (for some parts, they even ask the serial number of the Birdy before accepting to sell the parts), but its a problem for the Birdy due to the small amount of R&M dealers selling the Birdy.

In Asia its totally different, Pacific Cycles does a lot of marketing around the Birdy, the Birdy is very popular as high end folding bike and its easy to find bikes, spare parts and accessories including from third party.
Yes. Here the Birdy is being viewed as a high end folding bike ranked with the Brompton but has a reputation of being faster and stabler in riding. It’s also very popular (although not as popular as few years ago since a lot of people ride road bikes now).Since except the front hub and the BB, the Birdy can be swapped with standard MTB or Road Bike parts. Nevertheless, there are a lot of accessories specifically made for Birdy and most bike shops offer modification of the Birdy.

Last edited by jackyharuhiko; 07-10-22 at 06:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.