Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear-mount kickstand for Cannondale T1

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 09:15 PM
rcd

Bikes: Cannondale T-800, Bridgestone RB-1, Bianche Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I posted this in the Touring section, but it might better be posted here: I’m looking for a rear-mount kick stand for a 2008 Cannondale T1 touring bike. The larger aluminum tubes limit what will work. Cannondale’s Eileen 2 rear-mount says it is “Designed for flat-sided tubes up to 23mm thick,” but my older 2008 tubes are NOT flat-sided.
I have a good kick stand on a 2001 T800, but — like the bike frame — it is 21 years old and no longer manufactured. The T1 and T800 frames are identical. Any help? I could use it! If anyone knows a brand/model that is designed with an older Cannondale touring bike in mind, please let me know. I’ve looked at a LOT of kickstands lately, but it seems I’m still looking!
Old 10-13-22, 11:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
This is what separates mechanics from guys who assemble stuff.

I assume you've searched diligently, and it's not likely you somehow missed the one that will work as is.

So, time to be creative. Find one that might work "if only......", and look for a workaround.

For example, if one is close but the mounting bolts are to close for your fat stays, consider using a longer bolt, bent or curved to get the needed clearance.

Being able to turn "gee...if only...possibly..." into an idea, and massage it into a solution, is a skill that once developed, never goes away.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-14-22, 01:06 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by rcd
I’m looking for a rear-mount kick stand for a 2008 Cannondale T1 touring bike. The larger aluminum tubes limit what will work. Cannondale’s Eileen 2 rear-mount says it is “Designed for flat-sided tubes up to 23mm thick,” but my older 2008 tubes are NOT flat-sided.
Could you post a photo illustrating the problem in some fashion? With the info so far you aim at an advice from people who have the specific bike and have coped with the kickstand there. It is quite possible that among those reading your post, there might not a single such person, so you might be better off giving a chance to others.
Old 10-14-22, 12:11 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This is what separates mechanics from guys who assemble stuff.

I assume you've searched diligently, and it's not likely you somehow missed the one that will work as is.

So, time to be creative. Find one that might work "if only......", and look for a workaround.

For example, if one is close but the mounting bolts are to close for your fat stays, consider using a longer bolt, bent or curved to get the needed clearance.

Being able to turn "gee...if only...possibly..." into an idea, and massage it into a solution, is a skill that once developed, never goes away.

HaHa! I'd be happily content to be a mere "guy who assembles stuff" in this case if I could find the right parts to assemble! I've pulled several rear-mount kickstands off old mountain/commuter bikes in my lair, only to find their configuration isn't very well suited to the fatter tubes. I've also purchased stands the LBS says will work, but one weighed more than the bike (and still didn't fit) and another worked on the theory that if you squeeze a tube hard enough between two flat sheets of steel, it will probably hold (for awhile) so long as you don't tighten it so much that you flatten the tubes. On-line shopping, of course, offers EVERYTHING. I was hoping one of the gurus on Bike Forum might know a particular kick stand that readily (and out-of-the-box for us "assemblers") fits older Cannondale touring bike frames. That would make ordering on-line smoother. Of course, I could consider the workaround of leaning the bike up against a tree.
Old 10-14-22, 12:26 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Could you post a photo illustrating the problem in some fashion? With the info so far you aim at an advice from people who have the specific bike and have coped with the kickstand there. It is quite possible that among those reading your post, there might not a single such person, so you might be better off giving a chance to others.
Will do, although there's nothing special about it, other than the Cannondale touring bike tubes I want to mount to (at least from 2008 and earlier) are something close to 23 or 24 mm (1 inch) round, whereas typical tubes are much smaller. When I post a pic, I'll also post a pic of the kickstand on my T800, which works just fine, but has such a stylized logo, I can't figure out a name to search. Maybe someone from the forum will recognize the logo? But as I said, I'm as likely to get another USA-made Cannondale as I am a 21 year-old kickstand! Seriously, you wouldn't believe what a ridiculous amount of time I've already devoted to what I thought would be a simple task! Years ago, when my wife bought the bike, I had a centre-mount kickstand installed, simply because the process of boxing the bike for a trans-Atlantic flight and re-assembly "in the field" was so much easier with a centre-mount. But that kick stand now needs to be replaced, and since my wife and I are too decrepit to go on big tours any more, I'm giving the old war horse some dignity with a proper rear-mount stand!
Old 10-14-22, 03:01 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are some pics, FWIW. The white bike lacks the kick stand I’m searching for (notice bike leaning against fence 😂 the goldenrod bike is the 2001 T800 with the kickstand installed back in 2001. Someone might recognize the stylized “name” on the stand; that could help. Problem, of course, is that modern LBS aren’t much set up for working with old bikes, but some have shown a willingness to sell me something that I could never live with (so long as there is a fence around….). So maybe these pics will help.

Likes For rcd:
Old 10-14-22, 04:23 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Greenfield's Rear-mount Stabilizer Kickstand bolts to seat and chainstays ...

https://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-St...28&sr=8-1&th=1
Likes For flanso:
Old 10-14-22, 04:26 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
I have a Greenfield Stabilizer kickstand on a couple (maybe 3) of my bikes @rcd . These are aluminum and fit similar to the steel Coda shown above. Putting a steel kickstand on an aluminum frame just doesn't seem right. With Coda being a sub-brand of Cannondale, I don't know what they were thinking. Wait, yes I do, People don't want to spend a bunch of money on a kickstand and Cannondale needed a solution for a customer that just plunked down >$500 for the bike doesn't want to part with more money for a fancy aluminum kickstand. So, stamped steel is cheap and it fits.

By the way, Greenfield is interesting in the bike business. They only make kickstands. No other bike accessory. And they only make aluminum kickstands.

Here is a BikemanforU video that shows how to install the Greenfield Stabilizer and also give you a good look at it.

Of course, with your aluminum tubes, be careful to tighten just right.

And a link to ModernBike who has it for a fair price. I paid more than double that from a Local Bike Shop. The advantage of paying more at a local shop is that if you bring your bike to the shop and it doesn't work, you don't pay and they may have some other solution.

https://www.modernbike.com/greenfiel...izer-kickstand

These kickstands have been rock solid for me. In the shop other people will move my bike and there is no problem with the crank getting caught on the kickstand like a traditional bottom bracket mount kickstand. I like these rear mounted kickstands.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 10-14-22, 07:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by rcd
HaHa! I'd be happily content to be a mere "guy who assembles stuff" in this case if I could find the right parts to assemble!
I guess I made a mistake is assuming that you were at least a diligent searcher, and that the "right" part didn't exist.

So, after confirming that it doesn't exist, or at least is so well hidden that you'll never find it, you can resign yourself to looking for trees, or try to come up with a workaround. For my part, I've always been willing to seek trees when needed, but take it that you'd rather not, hence your OP.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-14-22, 10:05 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Two possibilities: well, more than two, but I like aesthetic solutions. BG and others make single clamp kickstands that mount on the chainstay. There is a small chance the bolts won't be long enough. Buy longer ones! Take the thing to your local Ace Hardware and get three longer bolts. Less than 50c. There are also hard to find kickstands that mount to a quick release. Very sweet. I have two and when I tried to buy a 3rd they weren't available. The two piece jobs on Amazon are NOT the same thing.
Old 10-14-22, 10:57 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Coda! Of course! Why couldn’t I see that? Guess I’m glad I didn’t know it was steel all the miles I’ve pedalled it…..and now I know what to blame when I really bonked. Thanks for the Greenfield stabilizer tip. The bike he’s working on in the video certainly has smaller tubes than Cannondale, but worth looking into. The Coda stand on my T800 has much more curved arms that “embrace” the fatter seat and chain stays; I’m kinda leery about squeezing round aluminum tubes between flat surfaces,regardless of padding. Ha! I found Coda like mine on FleaBay for $50 something US, plus shipping to Canada. Where’s that tree?
Old 10-15-22, 09:56 AM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looked into the Greenfield stabilizer SKS2. Actually, have package in front of me. But the mounting brackets are not at all designed to “embrace” larger diameter tubes; it would just squeeze aluminum tubes flat (or not stay attached to the bike for long). Amazon.com says the SKS2 is not designed for larger stays. Wonder why the LBS would sell it to me with the bike in front of them? So any further suggestions are most welcome.
Old 10-15-22, 01:40 PM
Leisesturm

Is this thing on?<whack><whack>
Originally Posted by rcd
Wonder why the LBS would sell it to me with the bike in front of them? So any further suggestions are most welcome.
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Two possibilities: well, more than two, but I like aesthetic solutions. BG and others make single clamp kickstands that mount on the chainstay. There is a small chance the bolts won't be long enough. Buy longer ones! Take the thing to your local Ace Hardware and get three longer bolts. Less than 50c.
Old 10-15-22, 02:22 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leisesturm
is this thing on?<whack><whack>
bg?
Old 10-15-22, 02:47 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by rcd
bg?
Yeah, BV, what, do you think I said, BG or something daft like that? <smh>
Old 10-15-22, 03:11 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by rcd
Looked into the Greenfield stabilizer SKS2. Actually, have package in front of me. But the mounting brackets are not at all designed to “embrace” larger diameter tubes; it would just squeeze aluminum tubes flat (or not stay attached to the bike for long). Amazon.com says the SKS2 is not designed for larger stays. Wonder why the LBS would sell it to me with the bike in front of them? So any further suggestions are most welcome.
Fat alloy stays are going to be a problem. Consider a center stand behind the bottom bracket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CHPT5J
Old 10-15-22, 03:17 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leisesturm
yeah, bv, what, do you think i said, bg or something daft like that? <smh>
👍👍
Old 10-15-22, 06:13 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
So what about this Tranz-X kickstand for the rear triangle? I have it on the Brompton folding bike that has a fat chainstay. Adjustability is a benefit in that the stability can be optimized when load on the parked bike changes or tire width.

Old 10-16-22, 01:46 AM
buck1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a quick release mounted kickstand from Hebie. It has an anti-rotation tab that would connect behind the rack mount.

Hebie AX 618
Old 10-16-22, 07:41 PM
rcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
So what about this Tranz-X kickstand for the rear triangle? I have it on the Brompton folding bike that has a fat chainstay. Adjustability is a benefit in that the stability can be optimized when load on the parked bike changes or tire width.

That Tranz-X looks good!! Looks like it can accommodate the larger stays, and, having a triangle mount, as opposed to the single mounting only on the chain stay, seems it would be much more stable (and much less need to over-tighten against a single aluminum stay). Thanks for this!