Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the right thing to do with a "massacred" unicorn?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 05:01 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts

Missed out on a cheaper than cheap Bianchi 51' Paris-Roubaix frame for peanuts. But its condition left a few questions in me...
Not buying it was and will always remain plain stupid, that is a fact, so here's the story:

It was painted red and its heresy to think it's okay that its not celeste (at least for this model), as even that paintjob was done like 30 years ago, overall it looked really good... wasnt it this exact model.
It had a derailleur hanger added to it, which would even come good for me, since I would have no means to fork out 1k EUR for a Cambiocorsa or more for the Pari-Roubaix Campagnolo.... crappy, but I'm called Lattz, not Elon... could live with it.
BUT
Someone has filed off the top of the seat lug, bearing the serial number...
I'm not literally worrying about the non-exsistence of the number in legal ways (my Rossing does not have one either, although that was born like that), but basically this rendered the bike a Bianchi looking somewhat. It still looked gorgeous, but for a 70 year old top of the top shelf bike, just what can one do?
Still refurb to near mint for $$$ while even a quality decal set is a considerable cost not to mention eventual rechrome and paint?
Or ride as-is, since only I know its actually the real thing?
I guess lug change is no option here Even if in "head play" it would be,
Days have gone, I only know, If I got it I would have never sold it, but still now, I can't even think about what would I have done to it.

I normally not bothered by bad paint, and my ALAN has a welded head lug, ever time I look at it, it its a bit sad, but I'm still proud at that bike, and it rides like a charm, plus it is really cool while the turbo seat doubled the value of what it costed to me.
In parallel I'm bargaining on a loosely similar but absolutely low end other Bianchi frame (Possibly Ledro or Selvino). Also dirt cheap, chrome is bad, holes for internal brake cables are brazed in, shifter boss brazed off, same for chainstay cable stop. In that case it doesn't bother me a bit, since that would not be a really expensive bike even in top shape

Any other similar experiences with top shelf models? Or is it stupid to think about such thing if a bike is okay in any other ways, and don't hesitate to buy an e.g. Cinelli Laser even if the gussets are cut off with an angle grinder?

In my head also the plot twist came up, what if I start to modify/renovate it, and turns out, its a "known" one, that someone, like a racer painted it red and filed off that lug, and I am the one screwing the historical value?
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-14-22, 05:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,414 Posts
Only one thing left: fixie and bullhorns
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 10-14-22, 05:08 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 332 Posts
Nah, just take off the shifter levers so it only has one speed and flip the drop bars upside down.
Old 10-14-22, 05:14 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,809 Times in 1,411 Posts
Pictures would be helpful.

I bought a mangled 1942 Frejus with CC. This is what I did to it. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/681231...57718286844181

If you scroll through, you go back in time to how I received it.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-14-22, 05:33 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by iab

I bought a mangled 1942 Frejus with CC. This is what I did to it. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/681231...57718286844181

Oh, I have seen this plenty of times... actually THIS bike put the Frejus bug in my ear... and greatly responsible for my newly ignited interest in pre 80's bikes
Wanted to write you a question about your Bianchi city bike because of the other frame I'm interested in, but didn't get there yet. Plus I saw you sold it.

oh yes, pics...

It was advertised as Folgorissima/Paris-Roubaix, and while the missing number could tell for sure what is it, it seems more like the latter.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-14-22, 05:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

it would take me a month of stretching or staying up all night to be able to reach down back to shift it.

way back in design school the only time I could bend over touch my toes with my knees straight was when I had pulled an all nighter.
Old 10-14-22, 06:01 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,809 Times in 1,411 Posts
Love these bikes but fair warning, they are money pits.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-14-22, 06:39 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by iab
Love these bikes but fair warning, they are money pits.
Going factory original or even close to it is absolutely no option. If I had this and I found out - what I anyway wanted to ask already - if I can or cant put a regular wheel in that dropout in case no then it would have remain a wall hanger, restored or not.

But this is exactly why I like rat bikes. I mean it should be something which was/is an interesting bike, but rather in a somewhat neglected state (preferably still with orig parts) than a really expensive one with the "too bad to leave as is but too good to destroy orinal state".

I've been there with my Bianchi. It was expensive -for me- and my heart was broken looking at the flaked paint, but overall it was still too good for a -costly- respray. Not to mention I was in love with that exact shade if it turned out to be a tad bluer or greener thad would have been a disaster.

From a common but good frame with bad paint anything can be built according to taste and budget freed from the burden of value and historical correctness. This is what hard earned 80 EUR buys you these days if you are lucky to be in Italy (small for me and guy doesnt post abroad). Cool, nice base, I would make it nicer and rideable but wouldbt cinsider taking my life if things are not as they were in the 50s.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-14-22 at 06:49 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-15-22, 01:45 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Lattz,
If it is cheap enough, I will always buy it, damage and all....I never know when another will "FLY" my way. Most likely not what you wanted to hear, but you asked.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 10-16-22, 02:52 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lattz,
If it is cheap enough, I will always buy it, damage and all....I never know when another will "FLY" my way. Most likely not what you wanted to hear, but you asked.
Best, Ben
Yes, Ben, that part is fine... I should have written to the guy the second I opened the ad first time and I did not, so its added to the "damn stupid misses" list.
Actually this seemed to be the opportunity of the century, not even because of Coppi's model, but it wasn't a tiny frame, and most importantly, the Italian guy speaks English and is willing to ship Both are usually "no-no"s
Old 10-16-22, 03:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Yes, Ben, that part is fine... I should have written to the guy the second I opened the ad first time and I did not, so its added to the "damn stupid misses" list.
Actually this seemed to be the opportunity of the century, not even because of Coppi's model, but it wasn't a tiny frame, and most importantly, the Italian guy speaks English and is willing to ship Both are usually "no-no"s
Lattz,
There is an old saying, ..." There are a lot of Somecs in the sea".....so there will be more Uni-corns, just be ready to pull the trigger.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 10-16-22, 03:27 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lattz,
There is an old saying, ..." There are a lot of Somecs in the sea".....so there will be more Uni-corns, just be ready to pull the trigger.
Best, Ben
I know, I know... although I blew the magic unicorn SOMEC already twice. (Lugged Columbus MAX for EUR 650, a second lugless for 500, but at least that landed by a friend who was also dreaming about it).

actually, the CV market doesn't make any sense over here these days. Loads of bikes I would not give a penny for are on the market for 4-800 EURs, then in the last days more often than before, I bump into ones for the same price or less, which usually cost 1000+? \0/ The fear from the heating season will bring huge luck to those with money I think.
Old 10-16-22, 03:45 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz

What does one do when it is time to replace the "head set"? Do you junk the frame?
Old 10-16-22, 04:01 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
What does one do when it is time to replace the "head set"? Do you junk the frame?
Bianchi used this integrated HS from the 20s all the way to the 70s. While these days it is not anymore to be found on every corner, its not unobtanium, my guess is that the integrated part had to have some changeable inner piece as well, but ther are people here who own(ed) such bikes, to confirm or deny, what happens if the race in the frame gives in...

But to make my journey interesting, that headset bought me
Old 10-16-22, 05:02 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 2,018 Times in 1,114 Posts
Thank you for sharing such a disappointment. I dig the brazing finesse. AND the tapered “dimples” on the inside of the chain stays!!!