Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Worst Sturmey AW I've ever seen

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 07:33 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts

It's got a '76 date on it. Very neglected Raleigh Sports. Thought I would be able to get it going with a quick rebuild, but it wasn't so.

Obviously it needs a new axle.

One question: Are the gears supposed to fit loosely on the pins like that? Or is that wear as well?

I think @nlerner is going to help me with parts, so I should be ok as soon as I slip on some gloves to measure the axle so I make sure I can get the proper length!
Old 11-14-22, 08:40 PM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Bikes: 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1994 Serrota Colorado Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
That's brutal. Oil and rust make for a pretty stellar grinding compound.
Likes For PlymouthJLA:
Old 11-14-22, 09:00 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
I found a few spare parts for @scarlson:

Old 11-14-22, 09:04 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Never saw one that bad!
Old 11-14-22, 11:16 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by PlymouthJLA
That's brutal. Oil and rust make for a pretty stellar grinding compound.
That looks like it has been dragged through more than a few swamps.

I did a double look at that sun gear pinned to the axle. At first, I saw that the gear was warn, but that second look allowed me to see the original height of the gear on either side of the where the four pinon gears were running. Someone kept riding that bike despite such extensive wear. I've got to image that the gears would skip and disengage when pedaling hard.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 11-14-22, 11:25 PM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Bikes: 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1994 Serrota Colorado Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule

I did a double look at that sun gear pinned to the axle. At first, I saw that the gear was warn, but that second look allowed me to see the original height of the gear on either side of the where the four pinon gears were running. Someone kept riding that bike despite such extensive wear. I've got to image that the gears would skip and disengage when pedaling hard.
I was thinking the same thing, and can you imagine the racket that hub must have made?
Old 11-15-22, 07:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, and can you imagine the racket that hub must have made?
I'm thinking the racket the bike's owner must have made, lamblasting that "British junk" for being unreliable, completely unaware of the fact that this particular AW hub was clearly abused and ill-maintained to boot, and still managed to work to an extent.

-Kurt

Old 11-15-22, 07:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Might be time for a donor hub.
even if rebuilt, no out of the saddle pedaling I think would be safe
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-15-22, 08:08 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by Velo Mule

Pedaling hard? Ha, it would skip and disengage when the wheel was in the air and I was turning the cranks by hand!

It was like you'd expect, yeah. Lots of grinding. Grind, clatter, CRACK, grind tick CLANG! Depending on the gear. Low was worst. Middle was, of course, pretty ok. High was also bad, but less bad than low.

Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm thinking the racket the bike's owner must have made, lamblasting that "British junk" for being unreliable, completely unaware of the fact that this particular AW hub was clearly abused and ill-maintained to boot, and still managed to work to an extent.

-Kurt
When I got the bike (rescued from Harvard's annual abandoned bike purge - even the charities wouldn't take it), I noticed it didn't have a gear cable or indicator chain. I assumed they had been pilfered or cannibalized to keep another on the road. Not that uncommon. But with no cable in, it should have been in high, but it was clearly in middle gear. So I grabbed a spare cable and indicator and hooked her up and then this happened: in low, there was no drive, just clanking and grinding; in high, same as middle but noisier, and middle was, well, middle - direct drive. So I thought maybe pawls were stuck in low and I didn't know what the heck about high because high usually works if middle works. And then I found this!

I think the owner had taken off the cable and indicator and was just running it as a one speed, and then abandoned it upon graduation. Not a horrible fate, I guess?
Old 11-15-22, 08:20 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by repechage
Might be time for a donor hub.
even if rebuilt, no out of the saddle pedaling I think would be safe
The only thing you can't replace on these is the hubshell. That is fine. And the ratchet teeth also seem fine. You can push (or screw depending on the year) the left (low gear) ratchet out of the hub if you need/want to replace it. It's really nice because you don't have to rebuild the wheel.

Miraculously, I think this one only needs those gears/axle and pawl spring that nlerner posted. I still have to assess the teeth on the ring gear, which may be worn but probably will be fine.

But yes, I am regretting having cut apart the three-speed EA3 wheel from a '70s Columbia Sports (kinda lousy even when new) just a few months ago. The Raleigh rim and spokes are better quality, and the Columbia build quality is crap, but this one has seen a lot of crap. I could have swapped, one and done, and instead I'm rebuilding. I promised the bike to a good friend's boyfriend for short money, so I've got to deliver. (so they can ride together, cuuuuute )
Old 11-15-22, 08:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by scarlson
When I got the bike (rescued from Harvard's annual abandoned bike purge - even the charities wouldn't take it), I noticed it didn't have a gear cable or indicator chain. I assumed they had been pilfered or cannibalized to keep another on the road. Not that uncommon. But with no cable in, it should have been in high, but it was clearly in middle gear. So I grabbed a spare cable and indicator and hooked her up and then this happened: in low, there was no drive, just clanking and grinding; in high, same as middle but noisier, and middle was, well, middle - direct drive. So I thought maybe pawls were stuck in low and I didn't know what the heck about high because high usually works if middle works. And then I found this!

I think the owner had taken off the cable and indicator and was just running it as a one speed, and then abandoned it upon graduation. Not a horrible fate, I guess?
Now I have to see a photo of the Sports this came off of.

I've seen more than a few disconnected or missing indicator chains, but can't seem to fathom how removal of the indicator could have helped anything that much. At the end of the day, regardless of what gear it's in, the power gets transferred to the now-wrecked sun pinion...which no longer does what a sun pinion is supposed to do. I can only imagine the play in the planetary pinion shafts allowed them to jam against the axle as if they were roller clutches in a Shimano Nexus hub, engaging it at times.

Oh well, we'll just blame it on nlerner. There isn't a Sports in Cambridge that he hasn't sold at least once, right Neal?

-Kurt

P.S.: You should never feel bad about parting out a Columbia Sports. Ever.

Last edited by cudak888; 11-15-22 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 09:36 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 325 Posts
The only thing you can't replace on these is the hubshell. That is fine. And the ratchet teeth also seem fine. You can push (or screw depending on the year) the left (low gear) ratchet out of the hub if you need/want to replace it. It's really nice because you don't have to rebuild the wheel.

Miraculously, I think this one only needs those gears/axle and pawl spring that nlerner posted. I still have to assess the teeth on the ring gear, which may be worn but probably will be fine.

But yes, I am regretting having cut apart the three-speed EA3 wheel from a '70s Columbia Sports (kinda lousy even when new) just a few months ago. The Raleigh rim and spokes are better quality, and the Columbia build quality is crap, but this one has seen a lot of crap. I could have swapped, one and done, and instead I'm rebuilding. I promised the bike to a good friend's boyfriend for short money, so I've got to deliver. (so they can ride together, cuuuuute )
I would not hesitate to use the wheel. Columbia/Westfield quality had gone south by the 1970s. Those bikes can give decent service in some cases, but they were hit hard with cost-cutting by the 1970s. If you come across an old school 1940s-50s Columbia roadster though, definitely worth fixing up. I had a pre-war "pencil stay" Westfield Sports Roadster that was a really nice bike, and something very different from the usual.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 11-15-22, 09:42 AM
scarlson 

Now I have to see a photo of the Sports this came off of.
I'll take a picture when I next see it. The paint is that brown color so it pretty much just looks like rust anyway.

I've seen more than a few disconnected or missing indicator chains, but can't seem to fathom how removal of the indicator could have helped anything that much. At the end of the day, regardless of what gear it's in, the power gets transferred to the now-wrecked sun pinion...which no longer does what a sun pinion is supposed to do. I can only imagine the play in the planetary pinion shafts allowed them to jam against the axle as if they were roller clutches in a Shimano Nexus hub, engaging it at times.
That's not entirely true. You are right for low and high, but in middle gear, the clutch drives the ring gear carrier which drives the hubshell via the pawls, so the sun and planets are just along for the ride, chattering and grinding as they go in this case.

Oh well, we'll just blame it on nlerner. There isn't a Sports in Cambridge that he hasn't sold at least once, right Neal?
Maybe this is why Neal is being so generous with parts!

P.S.: You should never feel bad about parting out a Columbia Sports. Ever.
Good to hear that from someone else. They really do not seem like good things.
Old 11-15-22, 10:11 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

That's not entirely true. You are right for low and high, but in middle gear, the clutch drives the ring gear carrier which drives the hubshell via the pawls, so the sun and planets are just along for the ride, chattering and grinding as they go in this case.
Shoot, you're right. Completely forgot.

Maybe this is why Neal is being so generous with parts!

Good to hear that from someone else. They really do not seem like good things.
Every bit of their construction says "run away" - from the whippiness of the frames in general, to the crimped flat fork dropouts, tubing that's butted together with no real effort, and - unlike an internally-lugged Carbolite Peugeot - edges that don't appear to be cleaned off after mitering. Oh, and dropouts literally spot welded onto flattened steel.

There are Huffy and Murrays of this period that look better than the average Columbia Sports (or Tourist - let's not forget they appropriated that name too).

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-15-22 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 06:42 PM
scarlson 

Every bit of their construction says "run away"
Yeah, even the way the spokes were waaay too small for the holes in the hub. That's why I cut apart that wheel! It was fairly awful.
Old 11-15-22, 07:59 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Yeah, even the way the spokes were waaay too small for the holes in the hub. That's why I cut apart that wheel! It was fairly awful.
That pretty much defines a Columbia.

"How's this?"
"That'll fit!"
"Sounds good!"

Applies to anything on it.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: