Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bolt-on frame bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bolt-on frame bag

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 04:31 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bolt-on frame bag

I am getting a custom frame made, I plan to have additional braze-ons place all around the interior of the frame triangle, this will allow me to have a custom frame bag made without straps that will be completely strapless. The frame triangle will be quite large, 210mm headtube, 560mm seat tube, ect.

Does anyone have any advise on how many braze-ons and there placement, to secure a substantial bolt-on frame bag?
Old 12-05-20, 07:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
It stands to reason that the most logical thing to do is research as much the bolt on market of frame bags, because there most likely are different bolt to bolt distances out there. I would suspect that there are standards, would make sense.
Even with bolts rather than straps, do you think some protecting tape would still be a good idea? Would be a drag to find little rub points months later.

did you grow unhappy with your light weight di2 bike from a few years back?
Old 12-05-20, 07:48 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I have a custom made frame bag that uses velcro for attachment, as most do. It works well. My bag has 7 velcro attachment points.

I'm not sure what you gain with using screws and braze-ons. In fact, it seems as if metal screws and eyelets will wear through canvas and provide and opening for rain water. Getting the bag off the bike with velcro is a bit of a hassle. I can't imagine having to use a hex wrench to do it.
Old 12-05-20, 08:19 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I’ve got a custom frame bag from Rogue Panda with the bolt-on option. It still has straps at the tops of the down and seat tubes. Standard pair of bottle bolts otherwise. Perhaps a pair of bolts where the traditional pump pegs would be might do the job? Aside from that, the entire top is laced shock cord - getting to a completely clean no-strap design is a significant departure from what’s on the market right now. Rather than ask this particular forum about something new and unfamiliar I recommend calling/emailing bag makers directly and discuss with them. Nick atRogue Panda was very communicative about my simple order, and I’m sure many other small shops will be too.
Old 12-05-20, 11:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,146 Posts
If your bag has a good stiffener, you would need less frame attachment points. But if it has no stiffener and is really floppy fabric, you need lots. You need to assess the bag you plan to use. I am guessing you would want attachment points somewhere in the range of 10 to 18 cm apart, but that is just a guess. I have a very floppy triangle bag, no stiffener, the top tube straps are 13 cm apart and that is too far apart with no stiffener.

Could be farther apart on the downtube, gravity helps.

If I was having a frame built for a frame bag in the triangle, I would also have water bottle cage mounts installed too, just in case I changed my mind. If you do that, keep in mind that many off the shelf frames have the cage mounts too high and that wastes space under the cage and limits bottle lengths. They should be installed to allow tall water bottles. Touring, I use 1 liter bottles that are about 31 cm tall.