Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 07:41 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Hmmm. I've looked at the video a dozen times and cannot see evidence that the root cause of the crash was that DeGent had hit something.

I've hit many many objects while riding tubulars, including fist-sized objects that destroys the rim and flattens the tire in one revolution. Unlike clinchers: no drama. The tire stays put tight on the rim and you coast to a controlled stop. Or if you have less than a mile to the finish, and the rim is not too destroyed, you ride it out.

Unlike that of the the tire and rim vendors, here is an analysis that I trust::

Old 03-15-24, 08:37 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Hmmm. I've looked at the video a dozen times and cannot see evidence that the root cause of the crash was that DeGent had hit something.

I've hit many many objects while riding tubulars, including fist-sized objects that destroys the rim and flattens the tire in one revolution. Unlike clinchers: no drama. The tire stays put tight on the rim and you coast to a controlled stop. Or if you have less than a mile to the finish, and the rim is not too destroyed, you ride it out.

ZIPP Hookless Bike Wheels, A fast track to the Emergency Room!! (youtube.com)
I actually watched that whole video (and understood quite a bit of it), and he makes a lot of sense. I would be interested to hear from others with an engineering background that want's to counter the points he made, but he backed up his opinion with solid engineering.
Old 03-16-24, 05:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
He looked to be off the road, but on the shoulder, up against the inside guardrail. Would be completely foreseeable to hit a rock, chunk of pavement, or a hole in the edge of the pavement surface. The speed at which he went down, suddenly, indicates an impact. Tire blowing off would likely give some roll out before losing control.
When he goes down you can other debris in the road. Based on the pic of the rim, it’s clear he smacked something pretty hard, but folks ITT continue to ignore it to push their own narrative.
Old 03-16-24, 06:48 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
When he goes down you can other debris in the road. Based on the pic of the rim, it’s clear he smacked something pretty hard, but folks ITT continue to ignore it to push their own narrative.
I can’t let my wife read this. She has the only bike with hookless rims. 😜
Old 03-16-24, 07:52 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Regarding the Hambini video, of course the stress formulas are correct, but his flexing of the rim flanges is lame. They're not all the same. Hooks can be present, but minimal and relatively worthless. Those favoring hooks are quick to assume that their tires will stay on with no information about the design of the hook. My BTLOS hookless 25mm IW rims are 31mm wide, so the flanges are 3mm thick and quite sturdy. Some hooked wheels have about the same thickness at the hook, but the recess below it is significantly thinner. It has to be, or there would be no hook. BTLOS makes hooked rims with the same 31 outside width, but adds material to the inside, so the internal width is only 22mm. A Campy Bora is only 28.4 mm on the outside and 23mm internal width.

Hambini should explain why auto and motorcycle rims are hookless, but work well since we also have run flat tires. Of course the answer is that the tires have very strong beads and stiff sidewalls. Buyers wouldn't want their bike tires made that way.

Hambini also dismissed the lower pressure suggestions for hookless as being too low. I've been following the Zipp pressure calculator suggestions for over 2 years now. I've got no way to measure rolling resistance, but the ride is certainly much better on chip sealed roads. If you like, you can always add 5-10 psi and convince yourself that you're now faster.

​​​​​​I got my mechanical engineering degree in 1981, at age 28.
Old 03-16-24, 08:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Regarding the Hambini video, of course the stress formulas are correct, but his flexing of the rim flanges is lame. They're not all the same. Hooks can be present, but minimal and relatively worthless. Those favoring hooks are quick to assume that their tires will stay on with no information about the design of the hook. My BTLOS hookless 25mm IW rims are 31mm wide, so the flanges are 3mm thick and quite sturdy. Some hooked wheels have about the same thickness at the hook, but the recess below it is significantly thinner. It has to be, or there would be no hook. BTLOS makes hooked rims with the same 31 outside width, but adds material to the inside, so the internal width is only 22mm. A Campy Bora is only 28.4 mm on the outside and 23mm internal width.

Hambini should explain why auto and motorcycle rims are hookless, but work well since we also have run flat tires. Of course the answer is that the tires have very strong beads and stiff sidewalls. Buyers wouldn't want their bike tires made that way.

Hambini also dismissed the lower pressure suggestions for hookless as being too low. I've been following the Zipp pressure calculator suggestions for over 2 years now. I've got no way to measure rolling resistance, but the ride is certainly much better on chip sealed roads. If you like, you can always add 5-10 psi and convince yourself that you're now faster.

​​​​​​I got my mechanical engineering degree in 1981, at age 28.
Minor engineering point - bicycle wheels, even with very light rims, are impressively strong against in-plane impact - until the rim itself is damaged. More tire pressure = less chance of impact damage to that rim. Did De Gent's rim fail (apparently in-plane judging by the symmetry of the failure) simply because it wasn't strong enough? Or did the rim see impact from a rock or whatever because the tire was either at too low a pressure or too small in volume to protect it?
Old 03-16-24, 08:23 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
When it comes to ZIPP, they do not believe that 1.1 is a good standard so thy test their hookless wheels/rims to 1.5 of max pressure for that wheel. I am not sure about ENVE or any of the others but 1.1 does seem like a low standard. I use ZIPP 303 FCs with 30/32.
Old 03-16-24, 05:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts

While I’m not a big fan of hookless road bike rims, Hambini is a click-bait merchant who has a tendency to exaggerate and sensationalise pretty much everything he talks about.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-16-24, 11:16 PM
Dave Mayer

Originally Posted by PeteHski
While I’m not a big fan of hookless road bike rims, Hambini is a click-bait merchant who has a tendency to exaggerate and sensationalise pretty much everything he talks about.
Right, but he has a solid engineering background in bicycles and components and you don't. He has his own business in engineering and testing bottom brackets and you don't. He has thousands of followers who trust his opinions in bike-related issues and you don't.

He doesn't get his opinions from the latest bike manufacturer propaganda and simply parrot them on this forum. Latest is best!

And his style is not substance: he has a deep understanding of everything he posts about, unlike the engineering-poor little bike industry whose decisions are dominated by marketing.
Old 03-17-24, 06:10 AM
PeteHski

Right, but he has a solid engineering background in bicycles and components and you don't. He has his own business in engineering and testing bottom brackets and you don't. He has thousands of followers who trust his opinions in bike-related issues and you don't.

He doesn't get his opinions from the latest bike manufacturer propaganda and simply parrot them on this forum. Latest is best!

And his style is not substance: he has a deep understanding of everything he posts about, unlike the engineering-poor little bike industry whose decisions are dominated by marketing.
I have a very solid professional engineering background which allows me to filter reality from bs and hyperbole. I don’t follow Hambini, but I have seen a few of his childish video rants. Not very professional IMO. I don’t have any BB issues that require his niche products either.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-17-24, 06:59 AM
Mojo31
-------

Comedy genius in this post!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-17-24, 11:55 AM
Dave Mayer

I have a very solid professional engineering background which allows me to filter reality from bs and hyperbole. I don’t follow Hambini, but I have seen a few of his childish video rants. Not very professional IMO. I don’t have any BB issues that require his niche products either.
If you are an engineer, then you know that disparaging the advice or analysis produced by a fellow professional engineer as "childish" or "unprofessional" and "sensational" is itself deeply unprofessional and in most engineering regulatory bodies would initiate a practice review and possible disciplinary action. Where exactly are you registered?

The way you challenge the work of an engineer is to test and analyze the problem and produce a study. As opposed to dash off few snippets of inconsequential froth, which seems to be your total contribution to this thread and pretty much everywhere else in this forum.
Old 03-17-24, 12:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
If you are an engineer, then you know that disparaging the advice or analysis produced by a fellow professional engineer as "childish" or "unprofessional" and "sensational" is itself deeply unprofessional ...
Pointing out that someone else is unprofessional is not unprofessional.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-17-24, 12:23 PM
Dave Mayer

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Pointing out that someone else is unprofessional is not unprofessional.
Thanks for that contribution to the subject of hookless and the progress in human knowledge. Among engineers it is the role of professional licensing and regulatory bodies to determine if someone has acted unprofessionally. Using a few profanities in your videos but being technically correct is not unprofessional behavior. But here is a real engineers opinion on the subject of hookless. Skip to 32:00.

If hookless tires were made with steel wire beads, radial plies, and are mounted with high-strength jacks during tire installation and removal, then they would be safe on bicycles. But then who wants to ride on 700gram tires?

Had enough... off to the shop to do some real bicycle work.
Old 03-17-24, 12:29 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
There is that. Also car tires are radial whereas bicycle tires are cross ply. Car tires have quite high stiffness compared to their typical pressure. Car tires also have massive steel beads and radial steel belts. Car tire tolerances are also much tighter than what the bicycle industry is able to achieve.

But there are some interesting differences in rims as well.
Firstly car rims are asymmetric in such a way that the bead well is unable to accommodate two beads at the same time. They won't fit and the other side won't be able to stretch that far.

ETRTO flange height for car rims is 17,5mm whereas bicycle rim flange height is 6,3mm. Flange / diameter ratio for car rims is 0,04 whereas for hookless bicycle tires it's 0,01. So quarter of the stretch and slip allowance with higher pressures, floppy cross ply hand mountable tire, sloppier tolerances in both tires and wheels etc.

Compared to car tires and rims, hookless rims that are based on the ETRTO hooked (crotchet) rim standard isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

It would likely be possible to make hookless totally safe, but that would probably require a new standard for rims with some modifications to the tires as well. Whether or not those tires would be compatible with crotchet rims? Unlikely. The safe hookless tire and rim combo would also probably be quite a chore to mount. Potentially something you wouldn't be able to do roadside.
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-17-24, 12:33 PM
Mojo31
-------

If you are an engineer, then you know that disparaging the advice or analysis produced by a fellow professional engineer as "childish" or "unprofessional" and "sensational" is itself deeply unprofessional and in most engineering regulatory bodies would initiate a practice review and possible disciplinary action. Where exactly are you registered?

The way you challenge the work of an engineer is to test and analyze the problem and produce a study. As opposed to dash off few snippets of inconsequential froth, which seems to be your total contribution to this thread and pretty much everywhere else in this forum.
This is not true
Old 03-17-24, 12:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
Thanks for that contribution to the subject of hookless and the progress in human knowledge.
Ummmmmm ........... I responded to your statement. If you don't want others to make comments off the main topic, don't go there first.
Old 03-17-24, 01:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

Would be interesting to know Hambibi’s actual credentials. Seems that is a bit obscure.

https://hambini.cc/#
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-17-24, 01:31 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Would be interesting to know Hambibi’s actual credentials. Seems that is a bit obscure.

Wow. If even some of this is true, he’s more of a French shower than I thought.
Old 03-17-24, 01:33 PM
PeteHski

He churns out sweary, ranting YouTube vids and acts like an idiot in most of them. It totally undermines any professional credibility he may actually have, so I just don’t take him seriously. I’m sure his BB kits are fine if you need them. I’m not even challenging his work and the idea that I would face disciplinary action from any engineering body for dissing his YouTube rants is hilarious. A bit like your comedy posts.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-17-24, 01:45 PM
PeteHski

None of this is surprising to me. I always thought it was highly unlikely that he would have access to commercial wind tunnel time.
Old 03-17-24, 02:01 PM
Mojo31
-------

None of this is surprising to me. I always thought it was highly unlikely that he would have access to commercial wind tunnel time.
What makes me laugh is DM’s suggestion that Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cervelo and other major brands do not hire appropriate engineers for frame design, and that the likes of Zipp do not retain engineers to design their products. Not doing so opens the door to huge liabilities if someone is injured using the product. So, suggesting that they don’t just shows that the person doesn’t know much about the business world turns.
Old 03-17-24, 02:48 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
That tracks. In my line of work (dispute resolution lawyer in a technical field) I get access to very high level professionals and I also see a lot of hacks. The pro's tend to be subdued, calm and almost unsure to a point whereas the hacks are often quite brash and exceedingly confident.

I've only ever watched a few minutes of a Hambini video but that was enough to tell me he wasn't A) worth my time and B) an actual professional on the field he's ranting about.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-17-24, 03:12 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Watch the comments in the video about installing car tires compared to bike tires and the reasoning that explains why car tires are perfectly safe, but hookless bike tires aren't.

Then watch this.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-17-24 at 04:32 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-17-24, 03:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by elcruxio
That tracks. In my line of work (dispute resolution lawyer in a technical field) I get access to very high level professionals and I also see a lot of hacks. The pro's tend to be subdued, calm and almost unsure to a point whereas the hacks are often quite brash and exceedingly confident.

I've only ever watched a few minutes of a Hambini video but that was enough to tell me he wasn't A) worth my time and B) an actual professional on the field he's ranting about.
My experience is the same. In addition to working with technical experts, I also represent engineering firms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.