Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lipstick on a pig or?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lipstick on a pig or?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 12:29 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
The Shimano 1055 Shuffle Chapter. No....

...... OK I've lost track but, as I already have 3 other more urgent bike frame paint jobs ( Falcon, Gitane Interclub and Fuji Suncrest 650b conversion) I wasn't looking forward to repainting the Super Sport this year so I've been going through a BUNCH of different possible combinations for the 1055 that wouldn't require a repaint. I came back to one for the 1055 that I had initially discounted because the bike works SO well the way it is. However, at the end of the day I think it would make a great home for the 1055 group and it came with 700c wheels originally so the 1055 calipers will work. It is my 1990 Diamondback Centurion Interval, I love the ride and handling and it's a full Tange Champion No.2 frame. I replaced the original Cr-Mo unicrown Tange fork because it had a manufacturing flaw, one blade was welded 3 or 4 mm higher than the other making the wheel alignment a very sketchy proposition. I got a sloping crown Cr-Mo fork that was a much better match for the lugged frame and it was black powder coated so it matched the black paint pefectly. I can't prove it made a measurable difference but the bike "feels" even better to me with the new fork, it definitely looks better. It is currently equipped with mostly black components which includes Microshift 3X9 deraiileurs and brifters, FSA triple crankset, no-logo Tektro brakes, bars etc. I will move pretty much everything except the Diamondback logo stem from the Interval to the Technium and then rebuild the Interval with the 1055 group. The Interval will get a traditional quill stem, I have a 3ttt 1-1/8 black threadless road stem for the Technium and I'll camouflage the logo on the bars somehow. I'd switch them out for something more traditional but I really don't want to have to do the cockpit all over until I know I like the combination. I think the black will make any interesting contrast to the pink( What DO you call it?) on the Technium, or not, but it will at least get the Technium on the road with a proven drivetrain so I can get an honest feel for the frame. I think the brakes have enough slot left to reach a 700c wheel in the Technium frame. If not I'll have to get a set of black R539 Tektros but that's OK, I have a home for the current Tektros. I haven't decided if I'll move these wheels to the Technium or not. If I do I have a set of Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs I may put on the Interval. Sorry, the redwalls stay on the Interval but the red bottle cages will get the axe. I'm also curious to see how much tire I can fit in the Technium.

One other thing, I forgot the RD is a 1056 GS long cage, not a 1055.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 02-03-24 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 08:28 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Watch the ending of this one.

Old 02-06-24, 05:57 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6OsRGAADo
This is disturbing, but appreciated.
Old 02-06-24, 08:30 AM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Chiming in to say I think the color is gorgeous and goes well with the white headtube.
Old 02-06-24, 12:20 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Chiming in to say I think the color is gorgeous and goes well with the white headtube.
It's actually darker in person and the head tube is more cream colored. It's growing on me.

I can't bring myself to break up the Diamondback so for now the 1055 group is going back on the shelf. I have a decent set of Cyclone Mk II derailleurs ( GT rear) that will probably end up on the Technium with a Campy Triomphe crankset and Tektro R539 calipers. As always subject to change.
Old 02-07-24, 05:43 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Wow... I watched the vid and saw the end of a nice build end up with head coming off the TT and DT tubes. What a horror that could have been!

Years ago, I read that TIG welding an un-bonded Al frame like my Vitus 979 was a huge 'no-no'. If it were jigged properly, why not?

This is not meant to be a troll or a stupid question. I just cannot understand why not, if indeed one were to take all the epoxy off before TIG welding.
Old 02-08-24, 05:25 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by Lenton58
Wow... I watched the vid and saw the end of a nice build end up with head coming off the TT and DT tubes. What a horror that could have been!
Fortunately, the top tube hung on long enough for him to stop the bike. Did you happen to notice the carbon-colored, tapered sleeves that protruded from the tubes?
Old 02-09-24, 06:37 PM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6OsRGAADo
Now I'm torn. Mine would make pretty wall art but it's also a gorgeous bicycle that I wanted to ride.

Who's to know if this would ever happen though? Ugh. Likely no way to test it either. Mods should retitle this thread as maybe more can chime in?

Old 02-10-24, 07:57 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by tkm
Now I'm torn. Mine would make pretty wall art but it's also a gorgeous bicycle that I wanted to ride.

Who's to know if this would ever happen though? Ugh. Likely no way to test it either. Mods should retitle this thread as maybe more can chime in?

Or start a new thread since this wasn't the original subject, it kind of got hijacked. I'm fine with it being discussed here as it's relevant to my Technium as well but I'm not quite done with Piglet updates ( consider yourselves warned ) and I'd hate to have to hijack my own thread.
Old 02-10-24, 08:17 AM
Murray Missile 

Back to the Technium.....

I'm going back to my original plan of running 3X7 Shimano RSX on the Technium. I found a set of older 47-57mm reach NASHBAR 510-D brake calipers that are very similar in appearance to the Shimano RSX so now I can use 700c wheels. I still have a bit of reorganizing to do in the garage but I'm hoping to get the Technium on the stand in the near future. It will be the first of hopefully several builds this year. I have a LOT of catching up to do! Now, where did I put that 700c wheelset with the 7 speed freehub?

They'll need a little TLC but should clean up nicely.
Old 02-10-24, 02:49 PM
Murray Missile 

The "pig" shows it true colors......

Just went out and dug out a set of wheels. They're Weinmann XTR 16 700c rims with black spokes on black no name hubs. They have an 8 speed freehub and there is a 7 speed cassette with spacer already on them but there is also one humungous dork disc behind the cassette! That's gotta go. I was worried about what they'd look like on the Technium but I actually like the way it looks.

I hadn't had it in the sunlight for a very long time and realized it's NOTHING like it looks in the pictures in my original post. Not sure why I thought I didn't like it before because I love the color now!

Old 02-10-24, 06:29 PM
Murray Missile 

Looks like the frame and fork will take some decent size tires but the brake calipers might limit my choices. I have a set of Tektro R536's on the way, that's right 536 NOT 539, maybe they'll allow a bit more tire, I'd like to run at least 35mm, possibly 38..

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Just went out and dug out a set of wheels. They're Weinmann XTR 16 700c rims with black spokes on black no name hubs. They have an 8 speed freehub and there is a 7 speed cassette with spacer already on them but there is also one humungous dork disc behind the cassette! That's gotta go. I was worried about what they'd look like on the Technium but I actually like the way it looks.

I hadn't had it in the sunlight for a very long time and realized it's NOTHING like it looks in the pictures in my original post. Not sure why I thought I didn't like it before because I love the color now!

Old 02-11-24, 05:36 PM
tkm

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
I have 27 x 1 3/8 tires on my 450. I'd need a longer caliper reach than even 47-57mm if I went to 700c, but the space is certainly there for a 700x35 if I found a suitable brake caliper for it.

Raleigh put beautiful paint jobs on some of those Technium frames. Very period correct given the late 80's color palette.

Still leery about finishing off the build though given the bonding issues that have been coming up. And what I meant about editing the thread title is that it should include "Raleigh Technium" in it. I stumbled across this thread only because I accidentally clicked on it.
Likes For tkm:
Old 02-11-24, 05:48 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by tkm
And what I meant about editing the thread title is that it should include "Raleigh Technium" in it. I stumbled across this thread only because I accidentally clicked on it.
Yeah, that would probably help, I didn't see it going where it's gone or I probably would have included that. So. Mods, how about it?
Old 02-11-24, 08:05 PM
Murray Missile 

Thoughts?

Oh hell, I'm doin' it. The blue is a pair of Mavic rims I bought for a blue bike and they were a totally different shade from the picture when they arrived and clashed horribly with the paint on that bike. I have the Technium hanging next to my Lilac and Periwinkle '72 Competition and I started thinking the Technium might look good with a Navy Blue or Periwinkle saddle and bar tape. THEN I remembered these rims. I like it!

Last edited by Murray Missile; 02-12-24 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 02-13-24, 08:29 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Fortunately, the top tube hung on long enough for him to stop the bike. Did you happen to notice the carbon-colored, tapered sleeves that protruded from the tubes?
I did. I assumed that black stuff was de-bonded epoxy. I'm just guessing that it had turned black in the autoclave. I didn't see any signs of Al corrosion ... just another bit of mystery to me.
Old 03-10-24, 06:40 PM
Murray Missile 

Been working on the Technium, I decided it's not a keeper so I'm building it to sell. If anyone is interested 700 X 35's are not a practical fit in a 1987 Technium 480 but 32's have lots of room. It's getting sold with 28mm Gatorskins though.

It has been putting up quite a fight. They used a drive rivet to hold the under BB cable guide on which interfered with the sealed cartridge BB I am using so I had to grind it off, drill and tap the hole for 5mm thread and replace it with a short screw. Then I mocked up the RSX brifters and realized the plastic shield between the lever and body on the LH was missing, it works beautifully but had this gaping chasm behind the lever. My OCD won't let me sell a bike with something like that so I bought a parts brifter to get the cover. Most people probably would have never noticed but once I saw it I couldn't ignore it. I couldn't find the new dropout adjusters I had purchased a few weeks ago so ordered a new one last night. Of course I found them today....

Then, I didn't have a dork disc for it so I had to order one of those. After an incident a few years ago with a bike I sold and then bought back the next day I put dork discs on EVERYTHING I sell. Sold a bike and had instant regret, buyer contacted me the next morning and had decided it wasn't what he wanted so I happily agreed to take it back. Made the exchange that afternoon and took it out the next morning for a reunion ride, pulled it onto the large cog in the rear and the chain kept right on going into the spokes. I got it stopped but not before every other drive side spoke was ground half way through. The buyer had either dropped it on the drive side or hit it against something and knocked the hanger in. I had given the bike a quick look over when I picked it up but missed that little detail and he didn't see fit to mention it. Since then everything gets a disc when it leaves but more importantly I'm not accepting returns any more. Once you load it up it is yours!

Hope to make some progress by next weekend when a few small pieces get here and get a picture of it when it's looking more like a bicycle again and then get it listed soon after that. I put another bike on a couple hours ago. Not holding my breath that I get much action on it but you can't sell 'em if you don't list 'em.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-15-24 at 03:12 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 03-11-24, 05:44 PM
Murray Missile 

Oh yeah almost forgot, my RSX front derailleur has a 28.6 ID clamp, the Technium has a 31.8 OD seat tube........ Found the right FD at a very reasonable price but it's another delay. Ebay to the rescue!
Old 03-14-24, 04:01 PM
Murray Missile 

Pulled the headset, it was packed with something the color of butterscotch pudding and the consistency of RTV. Everything was in excellent condition though. The FD came and it was a 28.6 clamp NOT a 31.8. Seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep and I have another that is verified to be 31.8 on it's way. EVERYTHING on this build has suffered some type of setback or delay.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-14-24 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-20-24, 04:25 AM
Murray Missile 

Correct FD is finally here, had to give it a good cleaning, it was pretty grungy. RD cleaned and lubed as well. Had to put headset bearings back in to soak, that gunk isn't going without a fight. Trying to find bar tape that will look good with frame color besides black. Not having much luck. Now I'm trying to build up the courage to replace the rear brake cable housing LOL.
Old 03-20-24, 02:57 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Correct FD is finally here, had to give it a good cleaning, it was pretty grungy. RD cleaned and lubed as well. Had to put headset bearings back in to soak, that gunk isn't going without a fight. Trying to find bar tape that will look good with frame color besides black. Not having much luck. Now I'm trying to build up the courage to replace the rear brake cable housing LOL.
Interesting that the brake cable exits on the right side in the rear. Wonder if the smaller sized frame also were this way.

Is the internal routing for full cable housing run? or stops on each end?
Old 03-20-24, 04:23 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by KCT1986
Interesting that the brake cable exits on the right side in the rear. Wonder if the smaller sized frame also were this way.

Is the internal routing for full cable housing run? or stops on each end?
'86 and '87 Techniums ran the cable down the right side, '88 and later ran it down the left side.
Old 03-20-24, 04:50 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
'86 and '87 Techniums ran the cable down the right side, '88 and later ran it down the left side.
Had some DiaCompe that were made for frames with that routing. Had to ditch them when the levers went aero and my small frame made the front routing too tight. Right hand / front braking would have been too hard to adapt to.
Old 03-21-24, 04:53 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by KCT1986
Had some DiaCompe that were made for frames with that routing......
Uh oh...... Having bought this as a frame I didn't think about that. Houston. We may have a problem......

I'll check as soon as I get home. My only hope is with the tall frame I can cross the cable over without putting it in a bind.

EDIT:
Pulled up a pic of a tall 480 like mine and it should be OK. Kind of shadetree looking but fully functional.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-21-24 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 02:39 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Been working on the Technium, I decided it's not a keeper so I'm building it to sell.
I'm planning on retiring mine after this year. It'll go onto my Wall of Fame. probably superseded by '97-'01 LeMond Buenos Aires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.