Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to make reproduction Vittoria hoods

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to make reproduction Vittoria hoods

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 07:00 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by brokensf
Great work!

How necessary do you think the vacuum chamber is?
Thank you.

For fine work, the vacuum is an absolute necessity. Take a close look at the where the cable comes out of the hood. I did not degas the urethane and there are hundreds of micro-bubbles making a horrible finish. If you do that with the silicone mold, you will get the opposite, a lot voids around the part that will get filled with the urethane.

Anything with a low durometer, 35-85 Shore A, will be highly viscous and does not like to release its trapped air. If you mold a hard urethane, 60 SHore D, that has the viscosity of water and there is no need for a vacuum.

Degassing silicone works pretty well. And when you pour it into the cavity, do it slow with a flat ribbon, you can see air bubbles "pop" in the ribbon. The urethan is a different matter. It really doesn't like giving up it air. But what happens is that the bubbles are so small, they cannot break the viscosity of the liquid. There is a "skin" on the surface, no voids.

I am trying new techniques to remove all bubbles from the urethane so a clear version will actually be clear.
Old 12-10-15, 07:07 AM
Numbskull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brilliant.
Thank you for posting this.
Your pictures, instructions, and (in particular) additional hints are outstanding.
I've long been considering doing this to cast lead fishing lures and your clear instructions are a inspiration to proceed.
Once I have the stuff for doing that I might as well make some Campy hoods in the older dark color you can't get from current reproductions.
Old 12-10-15, 07:47 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Numbskull
Once I have the stuff for doing that I might as well make some Campy hoods in the older dark color you can't get from current reproductions.
That's interesting. It was always my impression that the older, darker color came from just from age.
I vaguely remember buying a set of original hoods from a bike shop in Salt Lake, maybe mid to late 80's.
And they were about the same color as the current repops, if I remember correctly. They were pretty scarce
even then and the shop owner would only sell one set per customer. They were 24 bucks.

On Iab's Vittoria hoods, the fact that maybe only 5 or 6 others would be interested in buying these, if that, is missing the point.
It's the voyage that counts, in my view. Really great documentary.
Old 12-10-15, 08:08 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for taking the trouble to describe what you've done. You've gone to great detail! There is so much knowledge locked up in folks' heads - it's nice to see posts that are "Here's How". Not that I have anything against the "Look what I did!" posts.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 12-10-15, 10:05 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Oh no! A whole new world of fabrication has been spread out in front of my eyes. I am an inveterate tinkerer and this is difficult to resist.
Thank You iab... I think.
Brent
Old 12-10-15, 11:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Nicely done.

If you can cast the compound into the vacuum bell through a valve, the stream falling into the cup will degas as you do it. It's easier for a bubble to make it out of a narrow stream than from the bottom of a cup. You can also put the mold under vacuum once you've cast the part in order to pull any voids out of the part.

What level vacuum, or are you measuring it? I don't think I'd have trusted that pot.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-10-15, 12:42 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
thanks so much for this fabulous post iab!

a beautiful job with the project and with its documentation.

this model of Vittoria brake lever hood is called the Giro d'Italia.

they did another model which was without the bumps and which was called the Tour de France.

iirc Ambrosiana Gomma also made the hoods for Fratelli Pietra and for Giovanni Galli S.p.A.; do you know if that is correct?

Thank you again.

Last edited by juvela; 12-10-15 at 12:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-10-15, 01:42 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I feel that I'm fairly handy, but seeing projects like this makes me feel very inadequate. Outstanding work iab.
Old 12-10-15, 05:38 PM
Numbskull

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
That's interesting. It was always my impression that the older, darker color came from just from age.
I vaguely remember buying a set of original hoods from a bike shop in Salt Lake, maybe mid to late 80's.
And they were about the same color as the current repops, if I remember correctly..
The first campy brakes I owned were back in 1972. The hoods were a darker translucent root beer or light mahogany color. These current reproductions seem sickly in comparison. I've thought about trying to dye them but I suspect it wouldn't work particularly well. Making them, however, seems very possible thanks to iab's guidance.
Old 12-10-15, 06:18 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Numbskull
The first campy brakes I owned were back in 1972. The hoods were a darker translucent root beer or light mahogany color. These current reproductions seem sickly in comparison. I've thought about trying to dye them but I suspect it wouldn't work particularly well. Making them, however, seems very possible thanks to iab's guidance.

same for me with the pietras. always liked the translucent colour and the blue hotstamp. they came that way through about 1976. beginning about 1977 they went to a more milky looking material which was opaque and eliminated the hotstamp.
Old 12-12-15, 09:22 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nice job and great thread!
Old 12-12-15, 10:06 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
A fantastic "how-to" and very professional! I have done a little bit of mold-making and casting but my efforts are embarrassing compared to this.

a slight hi-jack: I'm curious about what this means:
"BTW: If anyone is considering a low cost alternative to a vacuum pump, look into an inline vacuum generator + on/off valve that uses a conventional air compressor. The tiny vac. gen is basically a venturi with exhaust port. Handy for small projects like the above or veneer glue downs on wood (along with with bag), etc."

I'll poke around on Google and see if I can find more info but if crank_addict can show us a picture...
I'm hoping that a "conventional air compressor" is something I already own....
Old 12-12-15, 10:22 AM
iab

A venturi valve, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect , can take a compresser air flow and turn it into a vacuum.

My experience with them is not good. It comes no where close to drawing a vacuum like the pump I pictured.

One example

Venturi Vacuum System-Carbide Router Bits | Router Bit Sets | Shaper Cutters | Saw Blades | Planer Knives | Jointer Knives | Infinity Cutting Tools

Old 12-12-15, 10:47 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@iab - I echo everyone's sentiment and say Thank You and job well done! Very creative and resourceful. Thank you for the excellent photos and explanations.

Now I'm sitting here wondering if I could do that and what I would recreate!
Old 12-12-15, 11:27 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Very impressive. Glad to see folks tackling repro unobtanium hoods. Campy NR/SR from Italy, Mafac half-hoods from Rustines in France, and now these. Well done. I hope somebody takes on Shimano 600 EX 6209 hoods.
I second the 600 EX hoods i need a couple pairs!
Old 12-13-15, 07:00 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 1,206 Posts
David, you continue to astound me. Nicely done!
Old 12-13-15, 07:06 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Innovative and informative.....post of the year.
Old 12-13-15, 09:50 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Great write up, great job, interesting topic.......A++++ ( 4 out of 4 stars )
Old 12-13-15, 02:48 PM
ItalianPower

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unbelievable work David! Really impressed with your work and how you have documented the process. Thanks for the lesson!
Old 12-13-15, 03:37 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
(unworthy1 quote)
a slight hi-jack: I'm curious about what this means:
"BTW: If anyone is considering a low cost alternative to a vacuum pump, look into an inline vacuum generator + on/off valve that uses a conventional air compressor. The tiny vac. gen is basically a venturi with exhaust port. Handy for small projects like the above or veneer glue downs on wood (along with with bag), etc."

I'll poke around on Google and see if I can find more info but if crank_addict can show us a picture...
I'm hoping that a "conventional air compressor" is something I already own....

Agree to not hi-jCK Daves brilliant project.

(In short, long time user of a Festo made inline vac gen used on a lathe for securing spinning and finish work of 'porous wood' vessel and platters. With an air tank and compressor (even if small cap.), should there be an interuption of electric power, the air reserve in the tank, via the vac chuck provides a safety net in holding the work piece, allowing plenty of time for one to remove the work piece. You're welcome to pm and then exchange e. Having a difficult time with comm. browser and or this site.)
Old 12-13-15, 07:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Nice work! Not my bag but I used to build high quality hand laminated sailboats with vacuum bagged balsa cores.  Completely different operations (and scale!) but much of the same attention to preparation.

Ben
Old 12-13-15, 07:51 PM
RosyRambler

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW!! DIY Award of the year!
Old 09-12-16, 07:15 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Had to bring this one back, not sure how it was missed! Phenomenal work @iab. You should make and sell some various types of hoods, at least for the forum ;-) .

Thanks to Juvela for posting this link in the Legnano thread.
Old 09-13-16, 05:49 PM
iab

Thanks.

I recently tried to cast a mold off of a Galli hood for smontonaro. Did not turn out well. Wherever the silicone touched the hood it did not cure. Maybe 0.5mm of goo. Seen that twice before. First time was a rookie mistake when I used a silicone spray as a release agent. On the Galli hood I used the proper naval jelly spray. Second time is when I used oil-based clay to fill some gaps. I have since found that Sculpy clay does not have an adverse affect.
Old 09-13-16, 09:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I was surprised the example shown did not have issues. I was told long ago to make a hard pattern, then use stripable spray vinyl as the release agent for the mold.
The other acceptable known method was "ID" clay as used in the auto design industry most notably, its biggest ingredient is wax.
I have actual notes, but its been decades!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.