Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts On This Cannondale Quick?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 09:47 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

First off, this is double posted so I'll save the forum police the trouble of pointing that out. I didn't get any answers on the hybrid board.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/399025199409931/?mibextid=dXMIcH

I can get it for $275. Anyone have one? He's saying it's a CX3 but there's no front suspension. So did this model ever come that way? Would it be too heavy and slow for some 20 mile rides? That's about my limit.
Old 03-23-24, 10:14 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
$275 is not a lot to pay for a name BRANDED bike,that FITS you, and is not in DISREPAIR.

It appears that the fork matches the frame paint, so it’s likely original.
The wheels appear to match.
The tires might not be original, so it might have some miles on it.
I’d check the chain wear with a chain checker and test ride it.

Barry

edit: Regarding riding for 20 miles, that’s up to you and your expectations.
I’d ride that that bike 20 mile, if my only option and I was being chased by zombies.
Else, I like drop handlebar road bikes.
🙂

Last edited by Barry2; 03-23-24 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-23-24, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
What is it going to do for you that the other bike you just got isn't doing?

If that is a older model, then it's probably worth half the asking price. At least to me. Mainly because the components are dated. Also, you should check to be sure it has enough clearance to put the size tires on it you will want. Some older bikes 25mm wide tires might be pushing the limits. Don't know for sure on that specific bike.

I don't think Quick's ever had suspension. You'll pay dearly to put suspension on it or even just any new fork for any bike. So if you want suspension, buy the bike that already has it on it. Less weight will help on hills, but for shorter distances you should be able to deal with the weight on steep hills if the gearing is low enough.

If you are only riding 20 miles, then most any bike will do to get you 20 miles. Some might leave you a little worn out and some might be harder to get up really steep hills. But for just 20 miles it'll be gearing that allows you to overcome that.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-23-24 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-23-24, 11:15 AM
RoadWearier

Thanks for all of the input. I liked my road bike but I'm having a lot of pain in the road bike riding position. I'm hoping that a more upright hybrid will work. I had one before and I never had neck problems. I wish I could still do road bikes but The bent forward head extended position just is t working. I was hoping a less sporty bike like the Kona Esatto I was riding would help but it just isn't enough. I tried rotating the bars and even out the last spacer under the stem and it still wasn't enough. I'm afraid for now I'm going to have to ride "old man bikes." At least I'm riding, right? Btw it wasn't just the Kona, I tried two other road bikes and I just think drops aren't for me right now.
Old 03-23-24, 11:15 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Iride01
What is it going to do for you that the other bike you just got isn't doing?

If that is a older model, then it's probably worth half the asking price. At least to me. Mainly because the components are dated. Also, you should check to be sure it has enough clearance to put the size tires on it you will want. Some older bikes 25mm wide tires might be pushing the limits. Don't know for sure on that specific bike.

I don't think Quick's ever had suspension. You'll pay dearly to put suspension on it or even just any new fork for any bike. So if you want suspension, buy the bike that already has it on it. Less weight will help on hills, but for shorter distances you should be able to deal with the weight on steep hills if the gearing is low enough.

If you are only riding 20 miles, then most any bike will do to get you 20 miles. Some might leave you a little worn out and some might be harder to get up really steep hills. But for just 20 miles it'll be gearing that allows you to overcome that.

The CX models ALL seem to have front suspension when I googled quick 3 cx
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 03-23-24, 11:18 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
6 threads for getting one bike?? WTF. Are you learning anything??
So the Rohloff bike is too small. Look at the seat post on this one, up a mile. Looks like an even smaller 54 size.
We already said the Priority pinion bike is good for a tall guy and has nice plump tires. Do you want a great bike or a cheapo POS??
Bungie forks are for gravel mountains, NOT general riding.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-23-24 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-23-24, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
The CX models ALL seem to have front suspension when I googled quick 3 cx
Still, unless you can scrounge a fort to put in it, it's going to cost more than that bike is worth.

If you are having pain in your butt. It might be that you still haven't gotten use to a saddle and riding. It might take 3 weeks or even more to get over the intense pain some of us get. A suspension, especially on the front won't do anything for pain in the butt.
Old 03-23-24, 12:05 PM
RoadWearier

Still, unless you can scrounge a fort to put in it, it's going to cost more than that bike is worth.

If you are having pain in your butt. It might be that you still haven't gotten use to a saddle and riding. It might take 3 weeks or even more to get over the intense pain some of us get. A suspension, especially on the front won't do anything for pain in the butt.
It's my neck. Who said anything about butt?
Old 03-23-24, 12:08 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
6 threads for getting one bike?? WTF. Are you learning anything??
So the Rohloff bike is too small. Look at the seat post on this one, up a mile. Looks like an even smaller 54 size.
We already said the Priority pinion bike is good for a tall guy and has nice plump tires. Do you want a great bike or a cheapo POS??
Bungie forks are for gravel mountains, NOT general riding.
Hey smartass, I guarantee you wouldn't talk to me in person like that.

The bike doesn't have suspension forks. Did you even look? The priority bike is too far away and I don't want to spend that much. I changed my mind about it. I guarantee you wouldn't t talk to me in person like that, keyboard warrior.

Btw who gives a *** how many threads I post? Don't respond to them. You know what? I may post a few more threads asking about different bikes. So what? It's none of your ***ing business

Last edited by RoadWearier; 03-23-24 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-23-24, 12:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
6 threads for getting one bike?? WTF. Are you learning anything??.
GORD, I'm afraid you've missed a few threads.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-23-24, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
It's my neck. Who said anything about butt?
Neck pain can be poor posture on the bike or bars too low or even too high. Or just muscles that haven't gotten strong enough yet because they aren't use to the new things you are asking them to do.
Old 03-23-24, 12:35 PM
RoadWearier

Neck pain can be poor posture or bars too low or even too high. Or just muscles that haven't gotten strong enough yet because they aren't use to the new things you are asking them to do.
You're not wrong but this has been a developing problem even before riding. Yes the bars were too low. Hence my wanting a hybrid.

​​
Old 03-23-24, 12:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Hybrids won't necessarily give you a higher bar height. You still have to consider the frame stack height which will translate to higher bars.

A Specialized Roubaix will give you higher bars than that Quick will assuming both are sized properly for you. There are other road bikes and gravel bikes that have higher stacks too for higher bars. You just have to know what to look for.
Old 03-23-24, 01:03 PM
RoadWearier

Hybrids won't necessarily give you a higher bar height. You still have to consider the frame stack height which will translate to higher bars.

A Specialized Roubaix will give you higher bars than that Quick will assuming both are sized properly for you. There are other road bikes and gravel bikes that have higher stacks too for higher bars. You just have to know what to look for.
Ok that is helpful. Any suggestions on models?
Old 03-23-24, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Trek Checkpoint comes to mind. It's a gravel bike. But gravel bikes to me are mainly a sub-set of road bikes that allow for wider tires. Some minor differences on BB drop and other things. They also usually have lower gears ratios available. Which does help out those that struggle on hills.

I don't think it's as much as the Roubaix. There are other's but you'll have to look. Bikes with high stacks aren't my thing. I like a lot of saddle to bar drop.
Old 03-23-24, 06:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
This bike is obviously too small for the current rider. If you can get it for $150 you might make a few bucks on the flip. Lower the seatpost to level or slightly above bar height and take new drive side pics for your ad.
Old 03-23-24, 08:07 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This bike is obviously too small for the current rider. If you can get it for $150 you might make a few bucks on the flip. Lower the seatpost to level or slightly above bar height and take new drive side pics for your ad.
I did notice the seat jacked up. He claims he is 6 ft tall and it's a large frame. I asked if he was sure it was size "large" and he again said yes. I have come to realize that people will say anything to get you to their bike. Since it was in Knoxville I passed.
Old 03-24-24, 06:23 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Have you considered a comfort bike? Upright and usually with low gearing. I turned my old mountain bike into a cruiser simply by changing the saddle to a Cloud 9 and the handlebar to a cruiser bar that is wide with lots of back sweep, just like the good old balloon tire bikes of the 60's. Super comfortable on 5-10 mile commutes and will easily go 20 miles without fatigue. I have 1.75 Kenda smooth type tires on it, but have run 1.5 Nimbus tires as well. No pain, no strain.
Old 03-24-24, 07:13 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
It seems like all of your energy spent running around looking at drastically different bikes could be better spent walking into a good shop and seeing what they have to offer.
Likes For bboy314: