Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Lens Color

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 08:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Lens Color

I am getting cataract surgery June 6th and am thinking ahead to what I may do about riding glasses choices. I should be able to ride with no prescription. So I have the option to buy multiple lenses or multiple glasses. I have a nice pair of prescription glasses (Wiley X Twisted) that I saved the orginal non prescription lenses for so I can have those put back in. So I have a pair of polarized blue mirror glasses.

The thing is that I ride in the early morning and sometimes before daylight. Sometimes all or half of my ride is in the dark with a headlamp. I generally choose between a pair of clear glasses and the blue mirror ones. So often they are not optimum for half of the ride with either dark glasses in the dark or clear glasses in the morning glare.

How do you deal with those conditions? Swap glasses during the ride? Photochromic lenses? What color lense do you use in riding the dark and twilight with a headlamp? Clear, yellow, amber?
Old 03-21-24, 10:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I wear yellow near dark periods, dark sections of woods or on cloudy days.
Old 03-27-24, 02:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I wear clear classes at night and nearly all the time when riding in the woods. If I think I may want sunglasses, I take a pair with me in my pack. Likewise if I am riding with sunglasses I usually have a clear pair with me.

As far as tint, I've gone all around with this, and ultimately I prefer a neutral gray tint. When snowboarding I like a yellow/amber lens for the added contrast in the all-white snow, but I find that in the woods it mostly emphasizes the difference between light and shadow, and I have trouble making out things IN the shadow.
Old 03-28-24, 07:12 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Anything even close to low light conditions I wear yellow "night driving" glasses. I like the size that fit over prescription glasses both for protection and field of view. Plus they are relatively cheap so if they get lost or broken I don't worry too much.

Old 04-25-24, 11:43 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
SportRX has a finish they call “Start to Finish” that I use for trails. They are great for going in and out of shadows and increasing contrast. They also do well on the road for the evening rides where I’m wrapping up as the sun goes down. I wouldn’t use them at true night, but they are forgiving as the sun starts to dip below the horizon and the street lights come on. I can still see what I’m doing enough to get home. They aren’t the best for full sun rides with sun in your eyes, but do take the edge off. I have a pair of lenses they call “blackout” for rides that are full sun. I just swap the lenses in my Oakley flaks.
Old 04-25-24, 12:23 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
When riding at dawn or dusk, I use yellow/amber blue-blocking lenses that work quite well even in full darkness. They tend to increase contrast relative to no glasses even though they have about a 20% tint.