Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fission to Falls!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fission to Falls!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 05:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Fission to Falls!!

Just put together a detailed post....inserted my final picture and everything disappeared from my mobile....

Here's an abbreviated version.

Rode 72 miles from Arco to Idaho Falls. I hadn't seen a traffic signal in 150 miles.

Great conversation with Pickles owner's son on the details of how they painted their graduation year on Number Hill. Best part of the adventure.

Stopped by the Fission Museum. I was in the Energy Business for 40+ years so particularly interesting.

Nice Mex lunch along the Snake River in Idaho Falls at the finish.

l

Last edited by jppe; 08-23-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 05:33 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Love the pics! Thanx for sharing!
Old 08-23-16, 05:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Old 08-23-16, 06:00 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Man ... you're killing me. I LOVE restaurants like that. The advertising? One simple word:

EAT!

Old 08-23-16, 09:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Biker395
Man ... you're killing me. I LOVE restaurants like that. The advertising? One simple word:

EAT!
Got to admit it's simple and catchy. The red EAT light goes on and off. Takes a few takes to get a pic with it lit up.

We've thoroughly enjoyed eating at local restaurants. We had an incredible supper in Arco that was roast beef, mashed potatoes, milk gravy, salad, homemade roll with honey and a large piece of pecan pie. Every thing prepared onsite including the salad dressing. Portions were huge and price fairly low.
Old 08-24-16, 06:28 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Great pics. How long did you sit and rock in the rocking chair?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-24-16, 07:12 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Love the pics and the stories. Looks like you are having a wonderful journey. Ride on!
Old 08-24-16, 09:10 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Looks like you are REALLY enjoying yourself!! Man, I'm so jealous!! One day I may be able to embark on such a journey...

Enjoy!! Keep the posts coming!!
Old 08-24-16, 04:43 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Love the pics and the stories. Looks like you are having a wonderful journey. Ride on!
+10 dittoes. A couple of times on your previous trip threads I referred to a cross-country honeymoon we did in 1977. Yesterday, I found I am “resonating” between that trip and your current one. I guess geographically you are on the high plateau West of the Rockies. The photographs remind me of the approximate similar longitudes we traversed in Western California, and Arizona, with long stretches of empty highways with wide vistas and mountain views.

Interspersed on those long stretches were those small to medium size towns, made memorable by passing through on a bicycle, so often with some off-beat attractions, such as the Fission Museum and Pickles Place. For us on the high plateau it was the Amboy (CA) volcanic crater, Grand Canyon Caverns in Peach Springs (AZ), and the Andy Devine Museum in Kingman (AZ).

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
....One of the joys of touring is the singleness of purpose and absence of demands.All you have to do is get there: you don't have to get there fast or get their first - and if you are touring with camping gear, odds are you can beincredibly flexible about what "getting there" means on any givenday. Embrace that. Don't let your tour become an exercise in trading one rat-race for another.
A few years ago, I posted to this thread on Fifty-Plus,“What do you find hardest about cycle touring now we aint spring chickens any more?”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My earliest cycling activities back in the 70s and 80s, were cycle-touring with my girlfriend-then-wife, including a honeymoon cross-country tour. Since then, I've been strictly a cycle-commuter, and sport road cyclist, mainly due to work and family lifestyle. Last year, I avidly read the posts on BF about a perimeter tour of Lake Ontario, and I experienced some surprising mental discomfort that struck me as a sign of getting older.

While I would still enjoy riding about 50 miles a day for an extended trip, the thought of the uncertainty of finding a place to stay for the night was unsettling. (Our previous tours were all self-supported and self-guided. If I/we were to resume touring, it would at least be a credit card style, if not an organized tour.) On that honeymoon though, finding a place to stay was a memorable part of the adventure.

I guess 30 years of a stable, predictable cycle-commuting lifestyle erodes that exhilaration of the uncertainty.
So I was wondering, besides cycling, how are your other “activities of daily living,” like finding a place for the night, getting started for the day, getting meals, finding your way… I’m not particularly looking for an answer currently, since your time is focused on the Ride, but I hope to hear in person when you arrive in Boston.

Originally Posted by dhender02
Looks like you are REALLY enjoying yourself!! ...

Enjoy!! Keep the posts coming!!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-24-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 04:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
Nice pics.
How you rode after eating that meal is beyond me. Maybe it was a split with the wife.

With our warm PNW days = I wanna see 'tan lines'!