Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Re-chroming a vintage Italian frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 04:17 PM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

My mid-70's Coppi Campionissimo originally had a pearl paint job with chrome head lugs, fork head, half the forks, and half the stays. I had to have it repainted around 1988 due to living at the beach in Hermosa Beach, it was rapidly rusting. I got a nice white/red paint job but I'd sort of like to restore the bike to somewhat original. How expensive is it to have someone do this chroming plus a paint job? The bike isn't worth much at all, it would just be for my own satisfaction. TIA for the help! BTW I'm in the SF Bay Area.
Old 02-12-24, 04:38 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
I had a drameset resprayed and rechromed (rear triangle,fork, head tube lugs) about five years ago by Franklin Frames. Jack Trumbull did the paintwork but he contracted the chromework out to someone he knows and has worked with for years who understands the special circumstances of frame plating. A first class job five years ago was around $750 plus shipping.I’m sure it’s more $ today.
Old 02-12-24, 05:20 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I had my Pinarello Treviso restored to original factory spec full chrome four years ago by Tom Kellogg/Spectrum Cycles (since retired). Excluding repairs to the frame, the cost of stripping the frame, rechroming, polishing and masking the brite areas, respraying (plus candy color upcharge), clear coating, and various finishing details worked out to US$1,250. The chrome was done by DGM Chrome Plating in Philadelphia.

Refinishing a "[not] worth much at all" frame "for [your] own satisfaction" is a perfectly acceptable justification. If you decide to go this way, know that you won't be alone.
Old 02-12-24, 05:20 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

the pitfalls of replating are legendary

when looking for a plater find a fellow cyclist to give referral(s)

since you are in the bay area you could contact Ed Litton, for example, to see if he can suggest a plater or platers he likes

a challenging business to be in with environmental regulation getting stricter all the time...

-----
Old 02-12-24, 06:15 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Make sure the frame is totally free of any chemicals involved in the re-chroming process before you have it painted, as supposedly, what's left, specially inside the tubes, could rust up the frameset again......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-12-24, 07:55 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Sounds like you only need ends done. Franklin Frames did a fine job. Never got an itemized bill, just a total so I can't give you a price, just the results.

Maino 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 02-12-24, 08:08 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
I would give another endorsement for Jack at Franklin Frame . He did my Colnago a while back and it came out beautiful and holding up to the road well. I was lucky with the little bit of chrome on the fork crown just needed buffing out , so he didn’t have to send it out.
Old 02-12-24, 09:32 PM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Sounds like you only need ends done. Franklin Frames did a fine job. Never got an itemized bill, just a total so I can't give you a price, just the results.

Maino 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Yes! That's exactly the look I want! Thank you all for the replies, especially in understanding that I'm just doing this for my own satisfaction.
Old 02-12-24, 09:59 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
My mid-70's Coppi Campionissimo originally had a pearl paint job with chrome head lugs, fork head, half the forks, and half the stays. I had to have it repainted around 1988 due to living at the beach in Hermosa Beach, it was rapidly rusting. I got a nice white/red paint job but I'd sort of like to restore the bike to somewhat original. How expensive is it to have someone do this chroming plus a paint job? The bike isn't worth much at all, it would just be for my own satisfaction. TIA for the help! BTW I'm in the SF Bay Area.
If you can't find anyone in the Bay Area, there used to be a guy advertising chroming on the Santa Maria craigslist as of a few years ago. I don't know if he's still doing it, and I never heard of anyone who had work done by him.
Old 02-13-24, 05:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I was really lucky getting some re-plating done locally due to friends at Pro Kote Indy who sent me to a group that does Chrome the old fashioned way. You will have to dig around in the posts to find pictures of my Faggin that got a complete re-chrome of the frame and fork. The work is fantastic and looks really beautiful. Now the downside is going to be costs; I got a sweet heart deal and was under $1K, but if you want to save one you will have to pay. But they did a great job and I am completely happy with it. I won't discourage you for doing the re-plating just be aware that there are gonna be some costs. You can contact me off line if you wish to pursue the idea. Smiles, MH
Old 02-13-24, 06:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
If you can't find anyone in the Bay Area, there used to be a guy advertising chroming on the Santa Maria craigslist as of a few years ago. I don't know if he's still doing it, and I never heard of anyone who had work done by him.
I think the connection that @iab has utilized through Franklin Frames is a smart path.
lessons have been learned, procedures known.

out here in California the shops are closing up fast.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-13-24, 11:41 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Another vote for Franklin Frame's guy if you want chroming, not from personal experience but from other C&Ver reports.

Ed Litton is great for paint - I have used him a number of times and his work is first rate. But he always farms out the chrome work to one of two area chrome shops. Both were okay, but both had occasional problems, and both usually added significantly to the project time line. Also, chrome shops and California environmental regulations increasingly do not play well together - the shops are getting rarer all the time.

You really want your plater to know what he or she is doing. I mean that they really, really know what they are doing, and with plenty of bike frame experience, not just dipping car bumpers. Otherwise, there is a potential for bad things to happen. How bad? See below. I can't be sure what caused this, but an imperfect rechroming process is a very real possibility. Granted, this was a 60+ year old fork that had been replated, but still . . . .

Old 02-14-24, 03:05 AM
1970bikes

Bikes: 81 Eddy Merckx, 77 Kessels Merckx, 78 De Rosa, 78 Gazelle, 1973 Hillman Track Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Another vote for Franklin Frame's guy if you want chroming, not from personal experience but from other C&Ver reports.

Ed Litton is great for paint - I have used him a number of times and his work is first rate. But he always farms out the chrome work to one of two area chrome shops. Both were okay, but both had occasional problems, and both usually added significantly to the project time line. Also, chrome shops and California environmental regulations increasingly do not play well together - the shops are getting rarer all the time.

You really want your plater to know what he or she is doing. I mean that they really, really know what they are doing, and with plenty of bike frame experience, not just dipping car bumpers. Otherwise, there is a potential for bad things to happen. How bad? See below. I can't be sure what caused this, but an imperfect rechroming process is a very real possibility. Granted, this was a 60+ year old fork that had been replated, but still . . . .

Well, that is a bit of a chroming conversation killer if ever I saw one.

Last edited by 1970bikes; 02-14-24 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Poor wording
Likes For 1970bikes:
Old 02-14-24, 07:55 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Originally Posted by 1970bikes
…. And quite the ride killer!Rich was darn lucky he wasn’t injured…..seriously. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-14-24, 08:02 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
After a discussion on cracking is due to hydrogen embrittlement and avoidance by proper processing parameters I have used St. Louis Plating for two forks. This is their 60th year in business doing plating including bicycle and motorcycle plating for $300 for frames and $60 for forks.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 02-14-24, 09:10 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts

Fork looks bent, or is it the angle of the photo?
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 02-14-24, 09:27 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Fork looks bent, or is it the angle of the photo?
It's only bent at the end.
Old 02-14-24, 10:19 AM
Chombi1 

Looks like it rusted from the inside. Like I noted, chemicals related to the chroming process that might have not been totally cleaned off inside the frame tubes can eventually cause this
84 Peugeot PY10FC
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
88 Pinarello Montello
Old 02-14-24, 04:43 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by 1970bikes
Suffice to say, when Ed Litton built the replacement fork (he did a fantastic job, by the way), I specified paint only, no chrome. Not a hard decision.
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
…. And quite the ride killer!Rich was darn lucky he wasn’t injured…..seriously. Joe
True that; I'm just happy it wasn't a Rich killer, A half hour before I discovered the crack, I was bombing down a two mile long, twisty but fast descent. It could have been disastrous. As it was, it was only an inconvenience. As annoying as it was and as expensive as it turned out to be, I consider myself to be truly fortunate, for which I am grateful.
Old 02-14-24, 04:52 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Looks like it rusted from the inside. Like I noted, chemicals related to the chroming process that might have not been totally cleaned off inside the frame tubes can eventually cause this
There was rust packed into the part below the crack, i.e., from the crack to the dropout, so you are 100% correct on the internal rust front. Like you, I also suspect it was caused at least in part by chemicals from the re-chroming that was done c.2010-12, but I'll never know for sure.

The broken off end rides with me as a decoration dangling from my seat bag, and the rest of the fork remnants live in my basement, awaiting whatever painting/medical experiments I dream up.
Old 02-14-24, 08:29 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
I'd bet that Ed Litton doesn't farm out chrome plating to ANY local (ish) shop anymore. I don't think there is a single one left doing business in the 9 Bay Area Counties that have to comply with Bay Area AQMD CARB regulations that control Chrome Plating emissions. If there is/was it would probably be motorcycle (as in custom Harley) related and I wouldn't trust one to know their way around a bicycle frame or fork
Old 02-14-24, 09:24 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I'm in the L.A. area,,the chroming capital of the world. With all the Hot Rods and Lowriders and Harleys around here its easy to get anything chromed. I know several actual Chroming Facilities in the area and have done tons of chroming on old cars, Harleys and bicycles.
I recently had the forks on my Giordana done and it cost me $40 and they look flawless .

On Frames , I would Not suggest doing on only certain sections on it as it is more trouble than its worth. about 25 years ago I had only the headtube area of a Pinarello and rear triangle chromed, the build up of the Nickle ,Copper, Chrome plating left a noticeable line on the tubes that no matter how much blending /sanding we tried the line was there after painting. The Chromer advised me to do the entire frame but I didnt listen . Lesson Learned .

I have found out it is easier and cheaper to just chrome the entire frame. I had my Automoto frame chromed for under $80 , and all the other steel parts were Nickle plated for about $30 . Pictures of it are on the "French Bikes " thread.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-14-24, 09:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
There was rust packed into the part below the crack, i.e., from the crack to the dropout, so you are 100% correct on the internal rust front. Like you, I also suspect it was caused at least in part by chemicals from the re-chroming that was done c.2010-12, but I'll never know for sure.

The broken off end rides with me as a decoration dangling from my seat bag, and the rest of the fork remnants live in my basement, awaiting whatever painting/medical experiments I dream up.
Even with a second vent hole way up near the crown as Brian Baylis worked out with his plater decades ago, there is much more extra care and syringes, and additional time, time being the big thing required to have a decent level of security there is not trouble lurking within and the vent holes are still not where they need to be. I discussed this with Max of Highland Plating (now gone) 30 years ago. Highland plating did the plating work for Art Stump. Max was surprised I knew him, and confirmed what Art told me 50 years ago now. Art did ALL the polishing and created special wire forms to place anodes at key spots at the bottom bracket area, seat lug, fork crown underside to get what he wanted.
One has to think that through, Art had to visit the facility and pick up the frame at least three times. Wild.
Other than the fork, I should have but did not ask how the seat stays were flushed out.

Partial immersion of the frame to stay clear of trouble areas can be done well, but the plater has to do some things that are non standard. No masking, each layer has to be buffed out at the end of the plating, and each successive stage has to be less immersed than the last. The only mfg that I am aware of that had this type of interested process control was Schwinn for the Paramount line. Most partial lugs and stays only were a flash of nickel and then chrome. On French bikes, some a bit of a buff then Chrome, no wonder the chrome did not last. Less build up. My hunch not also using the later fume control scheme of ping pong balls at the top of the tank fluid line. No Idea how that would effect the immersion termination line.

in California, the platers who are not doing EVERYTHING to reduce environmental pollution and waste will All be gone by 2026, the laws are set to end chrome as we have enjoyed it. The platers will be working only in more lax regulation states. the way of things.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-14-24, 10:59 PM
Chombi1 

Eventually, people might have to send their stuff out for chroming in other countries like Mexico, that might be less strict about pollution coming from chroming facilities...
84 Peugeot PY10FC
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
88 Pinarello Montello
Old 02-15-24, 11:14 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Eventually, people might have to send their stuff out for chroming in other countries like Mexico, that might be less strict about pollution coming from chroming facilities...
Right, but if you do that, forget about careful handling, light touch with the polisher, and complete flushing.

Even the famed Lodi Chrome is no more, they did fantastic work.

/markp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.