Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 7-speed DT shifters with broken tabs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 06:32 AM
zastolj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Hi all,

So over the years I have accumulated three 7-speed SIS DT shifters; two Light Actions and one 6400.

I was riding with the Light Action one (in the center of the picture) and it suddenly lost all indexing. I think the end of the spring that you can see is not in its usual position; looks like the part of the shifter frame that holds that spring has cracked. Could not see any falling parts while I took it apart but a similar Light Action lever on the left has a more enclosed place for the spring. So I assume the shifter has retired and this is the end of it.

While I disassembled it I took a better look at the two other spare shifters that I have. Looks like every one of these shifters have the broken tabs that Sheldon has written about this here: https://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#600 (Though Sheldon claims only the old 6s 600EX suffers from this?)

Such a bummer! Do you think I have to throw these away? I thought I had enough of these things to last a lifetime. Must one hunt down a NOS pair to get a good reliable set or am I just unlucky? I still have a near new pair of 600EX shifters but I will have to use it on friction mode since it's only 6 speed SIS.

Old 03-01-24, 07:45 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Old 7 speed shifters are cheap. Look around.
Old 03-01-24, 07:54 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
That's very interesting. I've only ever seen the tabs break off on 6208 6 speed DT shifters.
Do you use boss mounts with indents for the tabs? If the boss mounts have a smooth ring instead of one with indents/pockets for the tabs, that might put too much pressure on the tabs.
Old 03-01-24, 09:26 AM
zastolj

Originally Posted by rccardr
That's very interesting. I've only ever seen the tabs break off on 6208 6 speed DT shifters.
Do you use boss mounts with indents for the tabs? If the boss mounts have a smooth ring instead of one with indents/pockets for the tabs, that might put too much pressure on the tabs.
Thank you for your comment, now that you mentioned it, I went around my parts bins and found both types. I am not sure anymore which one I have used since I have them all mixed up. But for sure it is possible I have used the incorrect one at least at some point since I was not even fully aware of this. This might be my problem.

Originally Posted by Kontact
Old 7 speed shifters are cheap. Look around.
That seems to be the case! I just did a search on Ebay, there are many available at less than 50 euros. I think I will go for those.
Old 03-01-24, 09:42 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 638 Posts
I know this seems cheesy but consider putting a set of 7speed MTB thumbies on the drop bars they should fit fine and are cheap work good and you can place them in multiple positions to get a setup that works for you. If your running 7speed stuff road or MTB my personal choice are Shimano LX thumbies with the friction overide trim controll they work fairly good with 6/7 and even 8 speed stuff.

Last edited by zukahn1; 03-01-24 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 06:56 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by zastolj
Thank you for your comment, now that you mentioned it, I went around my parts bins and found both types. I am not sure anymore which one I have used since I have them all mixed up. But for sure it is possible I have used the incorrect one at least at some point since I was not even fully aware of this. This might be my problem.

That seems to be the case! I just did a search on Ebay, there are many available at less than 50 euros. I think I will go for those.
Those are really weird. Are those for the other kind of braze on mount?

I bought a used set of '89 105 DT levers for $5 the other day at a coop.
Old 03-01-24, 08:18 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help or not. My wife has had issues with the 6208 shifters breaking. I think eventually the replacement RSX also had a problem.

I have used the 7401 Dura Ace DT shifters and have not had a problem. I have no idea if they are built differently. I do know the shifting was quite positive and the audible click is very loud.

To use them with a non-Dura Ace RD I used alternate cable routing and had no problems. They are not cheap, and I don't know if they have tabs that break, but if you don't mind the expense and having to fiddle with them, it might be worth it.

It is funny, I'm running Ultegra 6401 8 speed and they seem like junk compared to the Dura Ace.

John
Old 03-01-24, 08:30 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 55 Posts
I had 6208 6 speed SIS on my commuter and suffered with poor indexing due to broken tabs for a few years. It wasn’t horrible, but I finally got tired of it and “upgraded” to SL-1050. What a difference! So positive with good clicks now. Don’t know why I waited so long…
I think 1051 and 1055 are 7 speed.
Old 03-02-24, 12:01 AM
zastolj

Originally Posted by Kontact
Those are really weird. Are those for the other kind of braze on mount?

I bought a used set of '89 105 DT levers for $5 the other day at a coop.
No I forgot to mention they are actually for the clamp-on version as I have one frame with no braze-ons!
Likes For zastolj: