Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a crankset recommendation/guidance...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 11:29 PM
Potential001

Bikes: 2007 Masi Speciale Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi y'all. i have a 2007 masi speciale fixed, and i want to upgrade the crankset. it comes with stock truVative touro 1.1, 48T chainring. which i think is pretty ****e. want to replace with sugino messenger rd, 165mm 48T chainring. don't want to spend a ton, so do you think this is a good move? would have to replace a BB as well, correct? how do i order the correct/proper crankset and BB, so that i can take it to my LBS to replace? any help/advice for a novice would be greatly appreciated. happy holidays!
Old 12-25-09, 11:44 PM
bigvegan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why trade one generic 48 tooth 130 BCD 165mm crankset for another?

Why not save your pennies, ride the perfectly fine crankset you've got, and then invest in a real 144 BCD track crankset (assuming you don't realize in the meantime that your existing setup is OK).

It'd be one thing if this upgrade would make your bike faster or more reliable, but in this case, you're just going from a generic mediocre part to a slightly better mediocre part with a little bling, so it doesn't seem like the best use of funds.

Originally Posted by Potential001
hi y'all. i have a 2007 masi speciale fixed, and i want to upgrade the crankset. it comes with stock truVative touro 1.1, 48T chainring. which i think is pretty ****e. want to replace with sugino messenger rd, 165mm 48T chainring. don't want to spend a ton, so do you think this is a good move? would have to replace a BB as well, correct? how do i order the correct/proper crankset and BB, so that i can take it to my LBS to replace? any help/advice for a novice would be greatly appreciated. happy holidays!
Old 12-25-09, 11:51 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

A nice ring might make things feel smoother...maybe. Touros are fine, just heavy. You could upgrade just the bottom bracket, but I wouldn't bother until it craps out, if it does. Upgrades that matter, if you haven't done so already might be saddle, bars, bar tape/grips, stem length, wheels, and tires.
Old 12-25-09, 11:53 PM
Potential001

Bikes: 2007 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
appreciate the honesty. thanks.
Old 12-25-09, 11:59 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I agree.

If you are going to upgrade, upgrade ONCE and only once. Making lateral or minor upgrades will only waste your money.

Here are a few upgrades that are reasonably priced that have an immediate measurable effect:
- Saddle
- Tires
- Grip tape
- Clipless Pedals and shoes (if you are riding standard toe-clips)

Upgrading these items will result in the bike being more comfortable, having better grip, and performing more efficiently. All of which are under $100 except for the shoes and pedals (unless you find a good bargain).
Old 12-26-09, 12:30 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I like my Touros.
Old 12-26-09, 08:34 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I agree.

If you are going to upgrade, upgrade ONCE and only once. Making lateral or minor upgrades will only waste your money.

Here are a few upgrades that are reasonably priced that have an immediate measurable effect:
- Saddle
- Tires
- Grip tape

Upgrading these items will result in the bike being more comfortable, having better grip, and performing more efficiently. All of which are under $100 except for the shoes and pedals (unless you find a good bargain).
+1. Save up for some Omniums and, in the mean time, buy yourself some Michelin Krylion Carbon tires or a nice saddle.
Old 12-26-09, 10:40 AM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to all the above. Your money would be better spent on a clipless setup, pro fit, better saddle (if the stock Masi saddle doesn't work for you; it does for me), better tires, or better wheels.
Old 12-26-09, 12:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Sometimes people underestimate the little things when it comes to what make a car/bike feel "right". Ever notice how in a high-end car, everything you touch is nice leather. There could be plastic all around, but the steering wheel, gear shift, seat, and armrest are all leather.

The same goes for bikes. If you invest in grip tape, a saddle, shoes and pedals that you absolutely love, which is everywhere you touch the bike, your overall experience will be better. But these are all personal preferences. You have to try them out. But, you will find that when people find a winner, they stick with it for YEARS!
Old 12-26-09, 05:04 PM
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%

Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The RD's used to be a decent bargain crank @ $70ish but are nowhere worth the money they go for these days.
Old 12-27-09, 01:21 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
- Saddle
- Tires
- Grip tape

Originally Posted by M_S
Upgrades that matter, if you haven't done so already might be saddle, bars, bar tape/grips, stem length, wheels, and tires.

What's this sudden outburst of common sense on bfssfg?

At any rate, guys, keep up the good job.
Old 12-27-09, 12:54 PM
letsgetsandy
good friends dont

Bikes: Zullo Custom Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugino RD cranks have chainline issues. they do not give you a straight chainline even if you use the sugino rd bottom bracket and you will have to run the chainring on the inside for it to be perfect.
Old 12-27-09, 01:39 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you had reason to switch from 170 to 165 cranks, I'd recommend the IRO cranks. Cheap and good.