Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

For those that lock their bikes in an office park

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 12:17 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I work for a large company that is set back from the street and has some bike racks that are within courtyards and not visible from the street so only employees see the rack when walking outside the building. I rode my bike to work for the first time and still did not feel comfortable leaving it outside. I only have one bike and to the untrained observer it looks nice since it's a road bike and not a beater mountain bike. Today I asked the security guys if I could leave it inside and I put it in a storage closet but it seems like it's a one time deal and they prefer if I just leave it outside. Am I being overly hesitant and would you lock it up outside if you were in my position? i only have a cable lock, not a U lock or anything.
Old 09-24-14, 12:27 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
No mechanical lock is impenetrable with today's battery powered tools and an abrasive blade. But if the rack is in a private area, near the entrance or with windows overlooking it, and not full of bikes, and in Hoboken, not Jersey City, you probably have a chance. Do you leave the Trek 1.2 unattended elsewhere in HB?

The cable lock should be at least as thick as your index finger.
Old 09-24-14, 12:30 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Ask your HR Department if your bike is covered under their insurance... Sometimes they react in your favor of bringing it inside.
Old 09-24-14, 12:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Ask your HR Department if your bike is covered under their insurance... Sometimes they react in your favor of bringing it inside.
HR would probably respond "Insured? For what, and why should it? But if it will make you happy we will remove the bike rack."
Old 09-24-14, 12:38 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
My bike never comes inside. When I drive I leave my car parked outside too.

It would suck if either of them got stolen or vandalized. However, life goes on and if you're taking reasonable precautions against theft then beyond that you just have to accept the fact that you can't control every single circumstance.

In my 40 years of riding I've had three bikes stolen. Two were taken out of my garage and one was stolen outside of an arcade (I was a kid.) Never had one messed with when locked up outside my workplace.
Old 09-24-14, 12:49 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I would invest in a U lock. The Kryponite mini costs $40, but buys a lot of peace of mind.
Old 09-24-14, 12:55 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's the most (reasonably) secure way to lock a bike to a bike rack?
Old 09-24-14, 01:01 PM
Gramercy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an older version of an 8mm cable lock. Wow, didn't realize how inexpensive one of these are these days, like 12 bucks. Any advice on which lock to get? There are like 10 kinds of Kryptonite ones - maybe I should get the Mini, or something in the $35 range? I don't know if the $100 lock is any better of a deterrent than the $35 one.

My company will not be held responsible for anything left outside, even cars we park in the lot. They said they have never heard of an attempted bike theft but there is only one or two people that ride to work and my building has a thousand people in it. That's why I wanted to bring it inside, even if they thought I was crazy.

I don't work in those cities, I work off of the Palisades in North Jersey. I never lock up my bike outside - when I have run errands before I just bring my bike into the store for a few minutes and leave it against a wall.
Old 09-24-14, 01:04 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I have sometimes been able to bring a bike inside, in which case it is nice to use a road bike for a faster commute. My road bikes are too nice to leave locked up anywhere for long periods.

Outside of that, I'd suggest getting a less attractive bike on Craigslist and put your mind at ease. I have Velo Orange bolt-on skewers on my MTB commuter (they require a special 5mm hex key), and use 2 Kryptonite U-locks for extended lock-ups. One is standard, locking the front wheel to the frame and the other is a giant New York lock that weighs about 5lbs.

Last edited by Eric S.; 09-24-14 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 01:25 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Sheldon's take on bike locking strategy.
Old 09-24-14, 01:30 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
Sheldon's take on bike locking strategy.
Every time I see Sheldon Brown quoted, my mind first pictures Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.
Old 09-24-14, 01:31 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Is it possible to leave a sturdy U-lock at work? That doesn't guarantee that your bike won't be stolen, but it probably means that someone else's bike is an easier target, especially if you use the U-lock and your cable lock.
Old 09-24-14, 01:36 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gramercy
I work for a large company that is set back from the street and has some bike racks that are within courtyards and not visible from the street so only employees see the rack when walking outside the building. I rode my bike to work for the first time and still did not feel comfortable leaving it outside. I only have one bike and to the untrained observer it looks nice since it's a road bike and not a beater mountain bike. Today I asked the security guys if I could leave it inside and I put it in a storage closet but it seems like it's a one time deal and they prefer if I just leave it outside. Am I being overly hesitant and would you lock it up outside if you were in my position? i only have a cable lock, not a U lock or anything.
Get two u-locks, leave them on the rack. If you look around, you can find u-locks for as little as $10. How is the seatpost secured?
Old 09-25-14, 06:58 AM
Gramercy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Get two u-locks, leave them on the rack. If you look around, you can find u-locks for as little as $10. How is the seatpost secured?
Seatpost is secured by an allen key, it's not quick release. But I'm not concerned about anyone taking my seat.

Where can I find a U-lock for 10 bucks?
Old 09-25-14, 07:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
It depends on the neighborhood. How far off the road is the office park? What kinds of people work there? I worked at various AT&T locations in NJ suburbs. They were in fancy neighborhoods, far from the road. People locked their bikes to the bike racks, but that seemed redundant. No one ever messed around there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-25-14, 07:44 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I'm pretty lucky. I'm in an office park but much smaller. Only 20 employees and I'm the only cyclist.

I lock my bike to a tree that is about 20 feet from a window shared by me and a few others. Anyone trying to tamper would be noticed pretty easily. I even just leave my helmet on the handlebars, unlocked.

I do leave the cable lock here, around the tree. It's too bulky to carry every day and at home the bike is in the garage.
Old 09-25-14, 07:44 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I lock my road bike up daily at the office park and don't think twice about it. Sometimes I don't even lock it. But like noglider said it depends on the office, the area and security.

In your shoes I'd probably find a solid u-lock, maybe a heavy chain, and leave it at the rack permanently.
Old 09-25-14, 07:45 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seatpost is secured by an allen key, it's not quick release. But I'm not concerned about anyone taking my seat.

Both the times I found u-locks for 10 bucks, was while ordering bike parts online and going through what was on sale in addition to what I was there to order. IIRC, one time it was from Mission Bikes (they have a good u-lock holster I was buying), but I'm not seeing them there now. I got the very last one from wherever I scored my last 10 dollar one, because I remembered wanting to order two and them only having one left. Another close-out of cheap u-locks. One of the benefits of always seeming to be ordering parts because I'm building up and maintaining a fleet of six bikes (city bike/tourer/MTB x two people), is that I'm getting some of my parts and accessories on sale because I'm getting e-mails from all these places I've ordered from in the past, or I'm on a site ordering anyway and see what else I should buy as long as I'm there paying for their shipping anyway.

A quick google search did turn up this:
18cm Width Blue Metal Bike Motorcycle Security U Lock w 2 Keys

Sunlite also makes a u-lock for about 10 bucks, I guess the trick is to be already ordering some parts from somewhere online, as otherwise it looks like the shipping for the lock doubles it's price, although if you split that over two locks, they get close to about 15 bucks a piece. There's at least a half dozen places google lists selling those, including Niagara Cycle Works and Bike Wagon.

For wearing on me or going around town I prefer to carry a nicer lock, but for the rack at work, I have one of my crappiest u-locks. Work is pretty safe, and I've got a couple of those Sunlites and they're a little awkward to portage due to their shape. Staying on the rack at work they're fine though. They're not nice locks, the mechanism is just a little fiddly, but like I said, works fine for a lock left on a rack at work. Two of them should be enough deterrent for your situation.
Old 09-25-14, 07:48 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I lock my road bike up daily at the office park and don't think twice about it. Sometimes I don't even lock it. But like noglider said it depends on the office, the area and security.

In your shoes I'd probably find a solid u-lock, maybe a heavy chain, and leave it at the rack permanently.
The chain is a good recommendation IMO. I've done that a couple of times, gone to the hardware store and bought as much chain as I'd need to run through the wheels, frame and rack, and bought a good padlock to go with it. Such a chain should be sufficient for this kind of location, and a LOT less expensive than the bike specific ones. You can wrap the chain in an old inner tube (it'll slide right into a big mountain tube) if you're worried about your bikes finish.

Right now my chains almost always stay at home, but every now and then I'll take one with me depending on where I'm going.
Old 09-25-14, 08:03 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You you are worried, I suggest multiple locks. No one ever had their bike stolen from using too many locks, and since it is just employees and such, you can probably get away with leaving a U-Lock or 2 attached to the bike rack (cause them things are heavy! At least mine is...I use an OnGuard). The only time I have left my bike outside for more than an hour or so was overnight in Savannah locked to the bike rack outside of my hotel. It was fine there. I would have a Ulock attaching the frame to the bike rack, another attaching the front wheel to the frame, and then a cable lock running through your seat and also around the bike rack. Chances are even if you forgo the 2nd Ulock, if you have more than 1 lock on your bike a potential thief will just move onto an easier target. If you do that, make sure you still lock your front wheel to your frame, or get rid of the quick release skewers in favor of a bolt on. I picked up a set for like 10 bucks that requires a special hex key to take the wheel off. Nothing on my commuter is a quick release.

I am fortunate though that I get to bring my bike inside my work.
Old 09-25-14, 08:10 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Two U-locks and a 5/8" cable with a mini U-lock... I leave them all there over night.

Old 09-25-14, 09:50 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Target (and probably others) carries a Masterlock u lock for $15. I used to use one before I upgraded to Kruptonite. Never had a bike stolen, though from the looks of it, no one ever tried.
Old 09-25-14, 02:11 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can find them for free on cheaply made bike racks all over the place. The tricky part is how to get the key.
Old 09-25-14, 02:44 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts

Don't get 1 $10 U-Lock. Get a good quality one. I recommend the Kryptonite orange or yellow lines since they lock both legs and a theif would have to cut them twice to steal the bike. I also recommend a cable for the wheels--you can probably use your old cable lock for this. If you don't want to carry the lock around, leave it on the rack and just bring the cable lock with you.
Old 09-25-14, 03:37 PM
Onyxaxe

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be worth it to invest in a beater. I name all my bikes even though they aren't worth much. The thought of them being stolen makes my brain curdle so no I would not leave them locked up outside for a full shift. The longest I ever leave them is for the occasional doctors appointment. If it's an out of the way office lot with average security they may be more likely to be stolen since security probably doesn't give a damn and there aren't that many casual strollers around to see someone with an angle grinder or bolt cutters. They'd probably be too busy elsewhere to notice anything unusual. If they're worthy guards though it should be fine but if they're not I would only lock up a sub 400 dollar bike. You don't really have a way of knowing what kind of guards they are until you have a few casual conversations with them or see them react to something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.