Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Shifter Question

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 11:45 AM
John Phoenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifter Question

the instructions on the Amped bike kits say to reinstall shifter. My front shifter does not work, but the rear does. Would I need to get this fixed before I install the front hub motor kit? I thought the kit negates the needs for the original sifters ... Is this not the case? Can I remove the front shifter all together and still have the ebike kit work properly?
Old 10-05-10, 12:19 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly you installed or are about to install a front hub motor. Hub motors in general weather front or rear have nothing to do with your shifters (crank or cluster). The only effect the motor has is the throttle on the handle bar because it normally takes the place normally ocuplied by the crank shifter. Bottom line is no you do not need to have a crank shifter if you don't want it so go ahead and remove it. As most will agree the rear cluster shifter is much more important and most of us do fine without the crank shifter.
Old 10-06-10, 07:20 PM
John Phoenix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered the kit today so I will be installing soon. When you say Crank shifter I assume you mean the front chain wheel where the pedals are? ( I wasn't aware this was called a crank)

Using the rear shifter, I normally use 2 speeds. The chain is on the largest "cog" "sprocket" in the front where my pedals are and the rear is switched between the hardest to pedal gear and the 2nd hardest to pedal gear. ( don't know what size cogs these are - it was an 18 speed bike, between both front and rear shifters)

- But, I want the fastest speed possible, so, which rear sprocket should I use with the motor to make it go fastest?

Would fixing the front shifter get me a gear combination that will allow me to get faster speeds with pedal assist than with the rear alone?

When cycling normally, do you really need to shift as much with an electric powered bike as you normally would?