Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identify this bike- fleur de lis on fork crown?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Identify this bike- fleur de lis on fork crown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 06:01 PM
omijay 

Bikes: 72' Masi, 78' Marinoni, 82' Davidson, 83' Davidson, 84' Mercian, 62 Schwinn Debutante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Any of them on campus? Check with the university and ask what they do when they do a bike rack purge. Many universities require students to register their bikes so when the abandoned bikes pile up and they cut the locks, they know who to contact. Some get abandoned.

Ask the city too. It's sometimes offloaded to a towing company, but there's often a public works department that sorts it out and usually ends up scrapping whatever they wind up with. Saved some seized shared bikes that way.

-Kurt
The University of Montreal does not have a real campus per say and virtually no campus housing. I grew up in the US, so I know what you are thinking. The students here live nearby in a series of cheap apartment buildings and have their bikes parked around them. Most of the apartment building do not supply racks, but a few have garages. You also see them up on balconies as you walk by. Of course the problem is they are outside and the winter is slightly less accommodating for bikes than in Florida. The place to check would be the city or better to befriend the person who is the manager/custodian of large apartments buildings. The custodians are the ones put in charge of getting rid of the bikes when leases are up. Here we have a unique situations as most leases run from July 1st-June 30th. So everybody moves on the same day and lots of things such as bikes just get abandoned. So the end of June is the ideal time to look, but all us scavengers know that and things can get scooped up fast. The city may also have a lot because we have a huge problem with stolen bikes especially around subway stations. Right now the US dollar is strong versus the Canadian dollar, so it is a good time to look through adds in Canada. The only problem is shipping across the border.
Likes For omijay:
Old 10-14-22, 06:09 PM
omijay 

Bikes: 72' Masi, 78' Marinoni, 82' Davidson, 83' Davidson, 84' Mercian, 62 Schwinn Debutante

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
In reading through this post, I was amazed at the number of different frames that have a fleur-de-lis (or fleur-de-lys) on them. This kind of turned into a show me your fleur-de-lis thread. I have a 1978 Marinoni which has them, and it has always made sense since he is making his frames in Quebec and it is part of the Quebec flag. A quick check with Wikipedia helps to explain some of the different designs and the two spellings. It turns out the details in the design vary slightly between different countries as do the the source of the frames mentioned in the thread.
Likes For omijay:
Old 10-14-22, 06:15 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat

Here is the frame. The fleur de lis is not the same, as these photos will attest. My memory was faulty evidently!

Funny story to go along with these pics. My ex-BIL brought the frame over from France, and it was in pretty good condition. He ended up getting a Gios, and then sold the frame to my buddy (that still has it, hence the pics). So it went from a very nice frameset to this in 15(?) years or so. I can put a name and a face to this bikes slow destruction! Everything he owns looks this way.

Local builder, Chanteloupe-en-Brie for a local race team (ex BIL racer). No identifying marks.

That version of fleur-de-lis panto is the Bernard Carre/Didier Louis one:

Can't tell from the pics but the frame could be theirs as well (the stays to dropouts transition pics would help). With the fastback stays this could have been done either under Carre or after Didier Louis took over Carre's shop in Montreuil. You will find both Carre and Didier Louis badged frames with that fork, but also many, many other brands for whom they made frames. Like this Jo Lamant (and ex-racer who later opened his own shop):

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 10-14-22, 06:26 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
That version of fleur-de-lis panto is the Bernard Carre/Didier Louis one:

Can't tell from the pics but the frame could be theirs as well (the stays to dropouts transition pics would help). With the fastback stays this could have been done either under Carre or after Didier Louis took over Carre's shop in Montreuil. You will find both Carre and Didier Louis badged frames with that fork, but also many, many other brands for whom they made frames. Like this Jo Lamant (and ex-racer who later opened his own shop):

I'll be darned. My ex-BIL was living in CeB with my sister, and when I went to visit he said it was a "local builder" that made the frame, but he may have referenced a local builder when he was living somewhere else in France. 5 will get you 10 that you have identified the builder.

ETA- Montreuil is a stone's throw from Chanteloup. (30km) Just checked a map!

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 10-14-22 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-14-22, 06:46 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Sorry about the derail Vegasbike, but the C+V section is solving all kinds of mysteries in this thread. It started with a Fleur de Lis...............................
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 10-14-22, 07:01 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Great thread!
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-15-22, 04:01 PM
vegasbike

Bikes: a few- I like them

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Sorry about the derail Vegasbike, but the C+V section is solving all kinds of mysteries in this thread. It started with a Fleur de Lis...............................
no worries at all.... happy to be part of this great thread.